Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector logging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reside in a townhouse community with 3 other Tesla owners.
We care considering installation of the Gen 3 Wall Connector since it can be configured to restrict access to specified Tesla cars.
The question we have, does it log charging usage (kWh) by car? If so, is this pretty straight forward and easy to use?

I reside in a townhouse community with 3 other Tesla owners.
We care considering installation of the Gen 3 Wall Connector since it can be configured to restrict access to specified Tesla cars.
The question we have, does it log charging usage (kWh) by car? If so, is this pretty straight forward and easy to use?
This is what I get. Does not show which car was charged. But I have mine set to allow any car to charge. Perhaps if it is set to only allow specific cars to charge, it might show the history by car.

I have changed my wall connectors to only allow my Tessies. I will let you know if it records the specific Tessie in a few days.

Once you add the WC to your Tesla App, it is very simple to use. Adding a WC to the app can be a bit confusing, but I finally figured out how to do it.

IMG_4504.PNG

IMG_4505.PNG

Look forward to your findings after you finish entering the car VINs.
Sorry to say, no change. The Tesla app for the Wall Connector does not show the usage by vehicle, even though it knows which car is plugged in, such as our red Model X plugged into the Rick WC:

IMG_4506.PNG

Or our black Model 3 plugged into the Erika WC:
IMG_4507.PNG

But it does not show which vehicle was charging:
IMG_4510.PNG

However, the Tesla app for the cars does show the usage. You should get a good depiction of the usage for each vehicle this way. Assuming everyone is cooperative, and shares this information, you should be able to fairly charge the power used by each of your fellow residents to the appropriate owners.

IMG_4508.PNG

Thanks for the update.
Have you tried a “long tap” on selected Powerwall charge history event? Just curious.
I have used the car charge history and found that it reports what was used for charging the battery, and was 8-10% lower than what came from the source, do to inverter losses.

Thanks for the update.
Have you tried a “long tap” on selected Powerwall charge history event? Just curious.
I have used the car charge history and found that it reports what was used for charging the battery, and was 8-10% lower than what came from the source, do to inverter losses.
First thing I tried was a long tap and a left and right swipe. But on the Wall Connector charge history; I have solar, but no power wall.

You can also download a csv file, but it too does not have vehicle info.

You could always add 9% to what the car reports.

Do you plan on hooking this to one person's electric service/meter? To avoid whoever that person is from taking a hit for any non reported usage you could always wire in a survey meter and then bill the usage on a prorated basis based on what the car reports.

And there may be another brand of Wall Connector that will give you the information you need. Have you checked into that? You might check with the State of Charge you tube channel guy.

Also, you can restrict only to Tessies VIN. If you have non Tesla vehicles, the only way they will charge is if you select "Any Electric Vehicle"....

IMG_4511.PNG

First column is the charging duration in minutes and the second column is the energy used in kWh.
Screen Shot 2024-05-22 at 9.28.32 AM.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
It would be very helpful if you could make a similar correlation with the amount of charge added.

It gets murkier and more when you think about the fact they claim to be setting up WC3 to be able to be used as bonafide billing machines.

Is that live already?
Yes, some customers with a minimum number of stations are allowed to set up billing. Tesla keeps a few cents/kWh as a service fee. I have heard different numbers regarding the minimum number of stations required to participate in the Wall Connector billing system. This article says 6 or more.