Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD and trouble with HOV lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. One of the benefits of having an electric car is the privilege of getting to drive in HOV lanes. However, Tesla FSD is having trouble merging into and out off HOV lanes. The turn signal comes on (either by itself or manually), but the car refuses to make the lane switch. I am guessing its because the HOV lanes is a solid white line.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

I have the the latest Tesla FSD v 12.3.6

I’ve been posting this problem for years. 12.3.6 is worse than V11 for me because mine now slows down in the left-side HOV lane as it passes the planned exit on the right, potentially causing a collision accident with traffic behind me.

The right turn signal also comes on for me as I approach the planned right exit, but the vehicle won’t change out of the HOV lane. V11 would fly right past the planned right exit without a turn signal or slowing down.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I'm expecting the eventual E2E Highway stack will greatly improve HOV behavior, so I'm ok with giving the v11 stack a pass til then. (Agreed it needs a lot of work.)

What I would really like to see though is "Adaptive" HOV usage, where the car uses the existing seat sensors (and/or cabin camera) to determine occupancy, and thus HOV eligibility. It's a pain to have to dig through the menus and manually switch back and forth between "Off and On" for each drive.

This could also allow "Watt-Hours per Passenger-Mile" to be calculated and shown on the Energy screen, as another informative metric for hypermilers. My family recently did a 3500-mile roadtrip to see the eclipse, averaging 317Wh/mi. But 106Wh/passenger-mi sounds a lot more impressive!

Where I drive, the HOV lane is separated from the others with two parallel dashed lines. Even before FSD, Auto Lane Change has always had trouble entering/exiting these HOV lanes. It works sometimes, other times it freaks out in the middle of the transition and asks me to take over immediately. I think it’s probably worse when the double lane markers are widely spaced.

I have another issue with FSD and HOV lanes.
I first noticed this ~2 years ago. FSD will freely use the HOV lane even when I have selected that HOV lanes not be used (my CA HOV sticker has expired)
These HOV lanes are on the right side and must be used when approaching a right turn, but FSD still after all this time with merge right too far in advance and risk getting a ticket.
This happens on all the expressways (not freeways) just a few miles from Tesla in Silicon Valley