Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Discussion - Tesla Brand Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk is proven to be right yet again, 4 years ago this tweet is used as an example of him being a bad person:

Yet today moderates are starting to admit pandemic response is indeed excessive:
Critical of the Trump administration I will note.
This was almost 7 months before election and Trump was calling shots on the COVID response. You know, use industrial cleaner injections (Trump said that April 24, 5 days earlier)?

Both fans and detractors of Elon agree he is crazy, in that no sane person would wake up and say "I think I'll start a car company today" or "let's catch rocket ships with chopsticks". To do the impossible, you must believe in the impossible. For industry disruptors like Elon to push the boundaries of progress, they must acclimate to being constantly told "no" or "you can't do that".

Unfortunately, sometimes things remain impossible despite one's beliefs lol, and it can be difficult to disabuse such a person of their peculiar notions.

How do you put guardrails around Elon without stifling the innovation?

Both fans and detractors of Elon agree he is crazy, in that no sane person would wake up and say "I think I'll start a car company today" or "let's catch rocket ships with chopsticks". To do the impossible, you must believe in the impossible. For industry disruptors like Elon to push the boundaries of progress, they must acclimate to being constantly told "no" or "you can't do that".

Unfortunately, sometimes things remain impossible despite one's beliefs lol, and it can be difficult to disabuse such a person of their peculiar notions.

Elon didnt start Tesla and it has yet to be proven that Starship can be captured. The guardrails that Elon needs should be self-imposed but they are not.

Just my personal experience having used both systems (plus BMW). My Tesla would regularly phantom break going 80mph on the highway nearly getting me rear ended a few times. Never happened in my Benz or the BMW.
Isn’t bmw limited to use locations? If so, that could make it safer. I find FSD pretty good and use it all the time, but it sure as heck dies some crazy very unsafe things too!

I am in the VERY disappointed camp.

He is clearly becoming erratic, stubborn, inflexible, and emotional.
I think he is loosing view of his long term goals over short term spats.

Recommend he take a few months off from companies and let his excellent team take over.
I agree
I had a lot of respect for his mental prowess and balls, when it was for positive. But he’s inexplicably has increasingly these dark moments. Shame his brother out someone close isn’t there to help him escape the death cult he seems to be a part of.

Almost his last sane comment was when he said the stock price was too high. Since then he been pushing Bitcoin, Dogecoin etc.

Now his mind is in a right wing worm hole of conspiracy’s. From immigrants bashing to petty squabbles with people on Twitter who dare to criticise him.

He knows Tesla is overpriced. But still monetises the YouTube and X pumpers to push the stock price on BS rather than focusing on what worked in turning Tesla into a profitable company with the highest profit margin.

I believe the price cuts in 2023 were there to push the sales so the stock price goes up. Boosted by hopeless pumper Cathy Wood, but in that he cut the margins.

As a Tesla model 3 owner I wish he can just admit these were bad decisions
1) Tesla should have rain sensors
2) remove USS parking sensors
3) open Tesla superchargers to other manufacturers
4) No stalks
5) not doing anything to stop the insane phantom braking
6) No heads up display
7) my £50k cars rattles and even in 2023 it’s the worst build quality car I have owned since 1980s French cars

Elon cares only about Elon !

Elon didnt start Tesla and it has yet to be proven that Starship can be captured. The guardrails that Elon needs should be self-imposed but they are not.
IMHO its not so much guardrails, its listening and humility (and not let Ego take over).

There is that video where Munro was super critcal about M3, called it a terrible design. Elon paid him a visit and listened, result was the amazing cars we have today.

Everything I have read is Elon suddenly went with massive layoff mode but not allow the departments to properly finish up projects and give time for employees transition, thus we have this debacle

He should have taken it private as he threatened

So he is free to run it like SpaceX. Unfortunately I bought into his BS and bought shares. I was in a cult but now I’m free. Hope the RoboTaxi 8/8 announcement will bring the share price into hopefully some profit, with help from the pumpers. Then I’m out for good.

Shame that doesn’t look like SpaceX will send humans in Elon’s life time. Let pray (I’m agnostic) it does and he can be #1 human on a one way ticket to Mars.

On Mars, "your fired" is not an option!
It's an option, unfortunatly it's your fired...into space.

On a related note, Leo Koguan (Tesla's 3rd largest shareholder) has announced he will vote against Musk's compensation package as well as the re-election of 2 board members.

I will also be voting my paltry 1500 shares no.

Honestly, after the supercharging team fiasco I would support a vote of no confidence.

Last edited:

Answer: a corporate board not made up of cronies and bros, and a management system that doesn't live in fear of immediate mass firings if anyone dares to voice a contrary opinion.

I hate to say it, but I can't think of any recent contribution by Musk that added materially to the value of the Tesla brand or its vehicles. I personally know many people who flatly refuse to consider buying a Tesla due to Musk's rantings, and we all see online scores more people who've made that decision. If Mary Barra megaphoned out conspiracy theories and personal political opinions in a way that generated as much antipathy for GM as Musk does for Tesla, the GM board would sack her in a New York minute.

Similarly, the recent string of dubious design decisions, all supposedly at Musk's direct demand, have only detracted to the public perception of Tesla. For example, I know of absolutely no one who said "Having a car without stalks is cool and functions better, so I'll buy a Tesla instead of a BMW or Lucid." But we've all seen postings by people who said they find the stalkless design awkward and more complicated to use, and decided against buying a Tesla because of it. (I test drove one recently - it's a deal breaker for me.) If a completely unnecessary design change is so polarizing and only costs you sales rather than increasing them, why do it? Because Musk thinks it's cool and all the people who buy other brands because of it are wrong.

Same with the Cybertruck's pointlessly pointy design. Musk chose it because he thinks it looks "badass." He's wrong, or is at least in the tiny, tiny % of people who like the design rather than think it's silly. As a result of its, shall we say, idiosyncratic design, scores more people refuse to buy rather than are enticed to buy.

Firing on a whim all the 100s of people who manage the supercharger network - the biggest jewel in Tesla's crown - should be the last straw for a thoughtful, independent Board that puts the company's best interests ahead of the King's "off with their heads" approach.

I still think Musk can be a valuable asset to Tesla. But adult supervision by the Board is required.

Answer: a corporate board not made up of cronies and bros
Sure! Except, that defines American capitalism.

If Mary Barra megaphoned out conspiracy theories and personal political opinions in a way that generated as much antipathy for GM as Musk does for Tesla, the GM board would sack her in a New York minute.
Sure! Except, success whitewashes many sins. Barra could Tweet n00dz from her OnlyFans if GM was growing 50% YoY.

Similarly, the recent string of dubious design decisions, all supposedly at Musk's direct demand, have only detracted to the public perception of Tesla.
I hated the stalkless design until driving the Cybertruck. It's great with variable-ratio SbW.

And yeah, the Cybertruck design is polarizing. As intended.

Reactions: bhzmark