Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is it excellent ? ;)

If you see my thread about mapping - I show instances near my home of map not having been corrected even after a decade.
I am merely suggesting that a correctly followed speed limit would not distinguish map reading from sign reading. It could be either. If, as I experience regularly, the sign says 65 mph, and the car goes 45mph, and the software on the screen displays 45mph, it isn't reading the signs. It might also have no map data, but defaults to the correct speed. It still isn't reading.

What test has been done to prove that the car reads and follows the sign it reads? Has someone stolen a legitimate sign and planted it somewhere to see if their car follows it and not the proper speed for that section of road?

Reactions: kriskros91
I am merely suggesting that a correctly followed speed limit would not distinguish map reading from sign reading. It could be either. If, as I experience regularly, the sign says 65 mph, and the car goes 45mph, and the software on the screen displays 45mph, it isn't reading the signs. It might also have no map data, but defaults to the correct speed. It still isn't reading.

What test has been done to prove that the car reads and follows the sign it reads? Has someone stolen a legitimate sign and planted it somewhere to see if their car follows it and not the proper speed for that section of road?
There are plenty of videos of black tape changing the speeds makes the car react or cars following/reading speed limits on the back of Semis. It's not even devatable at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
People have also tricked FSD with altering a sign. It 100% reads signs and in v12 reads minimum speed limit signs as SL signs.

There's too much proof that FSD recognizes specific sized SL signs, Stop Signs, etc. to say otherwise.
So what you imply is that only my car fails at reading signs. And does so consistently in the same places. Ok. I find that difficult to understand.

One way of telling whether the map data is correct is to look at what other Navigation software is showing. So what is the Google Map showing on that same location? What is the Tesla speed limit showing?

What is the road (highway number) which you have problem with so that we can help check on Google map whether there is a sign problem.

One way of telling whether the map data is correct is to look at what other Navigation software is showing. So what is the Google Map showing on that same location? What is the Tesla speed limit showing?

What is the road (highway number) which you have problem with so that we can help check on Google map whether there is a sign problem.
ID 55 in Valley County and US 95 in Adams County, Idaho, among several others.

These are the main North - South routes in the long axis of the state.

When it reads the signs correctly, it does not always transmit the information to the AP, and therefore does not reduce the speed either. Then you can see the mismatch on the IC (Instrument Cluster S/X), which shows two different speed informations.
It’s the AP/FSD NN that is reading the speed limit sign. Are you saying the max speed limit shown is not changing ? In that case how do you know the sign was read … ?

ID 55 in Valley County and US 95 in Adams County, Idaho, among several others.

These are the main North - South routes in the long axis of the state.
I see both roads are one lane each way undivided. I wonder hows the cellular coverage along there. I remembered a few years back when traveling on I-5 here in California. If I stop on some gas stops, I will lost cellular coverage and real time map data could not be accessed. Hence I lost navigation map if the cache map did not cover the area I want to travel over. I have no idea what Tesla's network providers are in ID. Also, I don't know how Tesla cache its navigation map data, and how often it update the real time map.
Maybe it would help if you can stop along the area you have problem and check to see if you can download maps with your phone to see. But then it also depends on the network which Tesla uses which may not have coverage on that area. The map cache algorithm which Tesla use also makes a difference.

Reactions: DrGriz
I see both roads are one lane each way undivided. I wonder hows the cellular coverage along there. I remembered a few years back when traveling on I-5 here in California. If I stop on some gas stops, I will lost cellular coverage and real time map data could not be accessed. Hence I lost navigation map if the cache map did not cover the area I want to travel over. I have no idea what Tesla's network providers are in ID. Also, I don't know how Tesla cache its navigation map data, and how often it update the real time map.
Maybe it would help if you can stop along the area you have problem and check to see if you can download maps with your phone to see. But then it also depends on the network which Tesla uses which may not have coverage on that area. The map cache algorithm which Tesla use also makes a difference.
It would be interesting to know if the car requires a good data connection in order to "read" signs. Much like it needs that to exercise voice commands. Nevertheless, FSDS ignores signs in places where the cell signal is excellent, as well as marginal, for us.

It would be interesting to know if the car requires a good data connection in order to "read" signs. Much like it needs that to exercise voice commands. Nevertheless, FSDS ignores signs in places where the cell signal is excellent, as well as marginal, for us.
Anecdotally, my car reads signs and populates them with no cell coverage. On V12, my car reads all of the signs in GA which have a speed limit sign and minimum speed sign, it will read each one and change the speed, attempting to drop me to 40 mph, until I scroll it back up and stays there until it sees the next speed limit sign.

Anecdotally, my car reads signs and populates them with no cell coverage. On V12, my car reads all of the signs in GA which have a speed limit sign and minimum speed sign, it will read each one and change the speed, attempting to drop me to 40 mph, until I scroll it back up and stays there until it sees the next speed limit sign.

I have also noticed v12.3.6 pretty consistently merging immediately next to "Lane ends merge left/right" signs; even when prior to any other visual information about the lane ending.

I have also noticed v12.3.6 pretty consistently merging immediately next to "Lane ends merge left/right" signs; even when prior to any other visual information about the lane ending.
Same. And while older versions also read the fake speed limit signs on the back of Semi trucks, many are reporting even more

There are a ton of videos of FSD misreading signs, almost no chance all of these, especially the ones reading the signs on the back of semis would all be bad map data:

V12 misreading:

Dirty Tesla using homemade signs when FSD first started reading signs, again...not all signs work:

Reactions: willow_hiller
For what it's worth, it's not the "Minimum" speed that the FSDS-enabled cars I drive around have trouble with here in NJ.

It's the "Trucks" bit on a sign: As in, Limit 50, Trucks 45.

It's probabilistic. About 3/4 of the time the seed gets set to 50; the other 1/4, 45, and this has been going on for a couple of years now.