Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Charger setup and Charging outdoor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talk to me about charging two Tesla and specifically about dual chargers, the only one i could find is HCS-D40 Dual Charging Station (HCS-D40 Dual Charging Station| Level 2 | ClipperCreek).

I would like to install a single hardwired HPWC charger outside to charge 2 Tesla using scheduled charging for off peak hours 9pm - 8am. Based on the advertised specs the HSC-D40 will split the current so its 20A per car which is much lower than I would like.

Is there another Dual charger which can support say 40A/40A for each car? likely not, i couldn't find one.

Another option is to run two separate circuits 14-50 hardwired to each HPWC, but not ideal to run all that conduit in the garage to the other side.

I think, if you got (2) Tesla Generation 2 (Gen2) HPWC, you could use one 80 amp circuit and they would load share between the two HPWC up to the maximum the car could take. In that instance 40amp / 40amp would be possible for example, and when one car was done the second one would speed up to its maximum charge rate, which for most new teslas is 48amps.

Of course, thats assuming you can put in an 80amp circuit, and you can find (2) Gen2 Tesla HPWCs (and are willing to buy 2 HPWCs). The Gen 3 Tesla HPWC does not have that feature (load sharing between two installed units) turned on yet, unless something has changed very recently.

I believe some other brands might also allow load sharing between 2 HPWCs, but your desired state of one HPWC with 2 plugs is not one I have any knowledge around at all. Maybe someone else does.

EDIT: Taking a look at the link you posted the price of that unit is likely more than it would cost you to find 2 tesla Gen2 HPWCs, even though the gen 2 ones are in more demand than Gen 3 for a few difference reasons, with this load sharing being only one of those reasons.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver and Rocky_H
Thanks for the your input.

I know Jucicebox from what I read allows for load sharing. My concern isn't with running another circuit for a second HPWC whether it can share a load or not as it won't matter b/c I would have to run and do my best to hide the conduit in the garage and make it pop out the other side of the garage in front of the house to the HPWC. My objective is to find a HPWC that has dual chargers but with a higher current rate which can be shared between the two.

I called ClipperCreek and asked if they had anything with a higher rate with dual charging and the HSD-D50 which is 20A/20A is the largest unit they have and as of right now there is no plans to go with a larger current model as of now but could be in the future.

At 20A how many miles/hour does a Tesla charge at? ClipperCreek rep said you can get 12miles/hour at 20A but I would like a sanity check from drivers here?

thanks

20A at 240 volts is 4.8 kwh per hour. At roughly 3 mi/kwh for Model S/X, that's 3 * 4.8 or 14.4 mi/hr, or 4 mi/kwh for Model 3/Y, it's 4 * 4.8 = 19.2 mi/hr.

Thanks that is quite interesting, specifically for the Model X data. I'm assuming possibly the data from the Tesla website is off or just estimates? Wall Connector

They have the Model X at 24A getting about 14mi/h, I would assume at 20A it would be slightly less than 14mi/h. Your calculation for the Model 3/Y more or less extrapolates to their estimates. I guess it is all estimates really. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm perhaps padding a more than i need to but due to my daily commute if these calculations are correct I could possibly get away with the HSC-D50 model with 20A per car and charging overnight at off peak hours.

20A at 240 volts is 4.8 kwh per hour. At roughly 3 mi/kwh for Model S/X, that's 3 * 4.8 or 14.4 mi/hr, or 4 mi/kwh for Model 3/Y, it's 4 * 4.8 = 19.2 mi/hr.
I'm certain that's not correct.
Thanks that is quite interesting, specifically for the Model X data. I'm assuming possibly the data from the Tesla website is off or just estimates? Wall Connector

They have the Model X at 24A getting about 14mi/h, I would assume at 20A it would be slightly less than 14mi/h. Your calculation for the Model 3/Y more or less extrapolates to their estimates. I guess it is all estimates really. Thanks for the feedback.
That table you linked to of the charging rates per vehicle type by number of amps is going to be much more informative. They don't have the numbers for constant 20A to the car, because it's between the numbers they have for 16 and 24, but these charging speeds do scale pretty close to linearly in these middle ranges of 240V connections, so you can just split those numbers and have it about right.
This is the Model 3 section of the forum, so let's do that one first:
Splitting between the 15 mph and the 22 mph would be about 18.5 mph.

The Model X is a bigger and heavier and less efficient vehicle, so with the same amount of energy will get fewer miles, so it will have to be less than that, not 19.2.
Splitting between 8 mph and 14 mph is 11 mph.

And this is why it's so frustrating that Tesla did this idiotic mistake of releasing the Gen3 wall connector when shared charging was not implemented yet. People are scrounging for used Gen2 wall connectors just to get this basic useful functionality.

I'm real curious to get feedback on the clipper creek charger. I'm going to go with this unit likely.

If I'm not mistaken the Gen3 also has a shorter cable too and the wifi possible in the future could be used for shared charging but who know when tesla will implement it.

I'm real curious to get feedback on the clipper creek charger. I'm going to go with this unit likely.

If I'm not mistaken the Gen3 also has a shorter cable too and the wifi possible in the future could be used for shared charging but who know when tesla will implement it.

I think the gen3 tesla wall connector has an 18 foot cable instead of the 24 foot of the gen2, and yeah the gen3 has wifi and tesla can update features on it via firmware. No idea why load sharing hasnt been enabled on the gen 3 as of yet. The fact they havent gives me pause as to the reason why, and if they ever will on that unit.

No inside info on that at all, it just seems like something they should have had enabled when they released the product, and here it is so much time later and its still not enabled.

Looking at getting the clippercreek hsc-d50 to avoid running long conduit across the garage to the other side.

anyone have any experience with this charger charging two tesla. I know it is limited to 20A/20A used for two vehicles which I'm fine with. No smart about it so the car pulls when it needs until it has reached the level than all 40A will go to the other car if you allow it to use that much current.

Curious on real world tesla user feedback.

thanks

Looking at getting the clippercreek hsc-d50 to avoid running long conduit across the garage to the other side.

anyone have any experience with this charger charging two tesla. I know it is limited to 20A/20A used for two vehicles which I'm fine with. No smart about it so the car pulls when it needs until it has reached the level than all 40A will go to the other car if you allow it to use that much current.

thanks...

thanks

thanks...
Don't the HPWC (Wall Chargers) share power if you have two of them? Cost would be a little less, but probably more to install.

I am familiar with the family of ClipperCreek EVSE although not specifically with the HCS-D50. This is a dual charging cable EVSE, rather expensive for what it does. How much would it cost to run the conduit across the garage?

You would need to use the Tesla J1772 adapter (comes with every new Tesla vehicle) X 2 for the HCS-D50 charging cables. If you also want to keep a J1772 in each Tesla vehicle (I frequently use the Tesla J1772 adapter to charge at a public Level 2 charger) then you would need to purchase 2 additional J1772 adapters. Additional adapters are $95 ea. on the Tesla Store site last time I checked.

I use the AmazingE FAST EVSE (powered by ClipperCreek) with my Model Y. This Level 2 EVSE charges at 240V/32A for ~8kW charging of my Model Y. I use the Tesla J1772 adapter with the AmazingE FAST EVSE (I leave the J1772 adapter attached to the EVSE, purchased a second J1772 adapter that I keep in my Model Y.)

Last edited:
I'm not holding my breath on that at all, which is why I didn't even look at it as an option, the 18ft cable is a deal breaker in itself.
If the 18’ cable is a deal breaker, I understand. If you can get around that you could run a 100A circuit to two Gen 2 Wall Chargers (or two 60A circuits). You then set each charger to 50A, which gives you 40A charging per car (80A total which is 80% of the 100A circuit). When Tesla enables sharing you reset them to 60A and enable sharing, which is still 40A per car when both are in use and 48A when just one car is charging.

Good luck on your search!

Edit: if you run two 60A circuits you can set each charger to 60A and will get 48A charging per car, of course you will be drawing almost 100A when charing. If you want to keep that down to 80A max, then set it as noted above.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: af88 and Rocky_H
We have 5 of the Clipper Creek HCS-40r's at work, and if two Tesla's are plugged in they split 32A of current (both get 16A). I'm at work for 12 hours at a time so the slow charge doesn't matter to me. We try to park one space apart to allow all of us to charge at the full 32A, but sometimes its not possible. In the case where you have a small battery HEV (like a Honda FCX Clarity) it only charges for about 2-3 hours before it shuts down and you get full power. These were provided by the company so I have no need to complain!!

@ATPMSD

No i have not looked at chargepoint prior, i just looked at the website now and it looks like they only offer a more commercial style CT4000 for $8K. I don't think my HOA would be too happy with something like that, if its wall mounted i can find a way to hide it if need be but that is a station setup.

@Lashlee
Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like you have had good luck with the clippercreek product and it is working out. I'm looking at the hcs-d50 which will put out 20A per vehicle so in theory it should charge faster and will be enough to cover my daily commute to work while allowing the wifes car to charge too.

Yes and no, the HPWC depending on the model share even a circuit. Just depends on the MFG. It will be cheaper to buy 2 independent or even 2 which share a circuit but it will require further conduit work post construction and going with this clipper creek option it is much cleaner and simple as far as the install goes for my home and serves the same purpose of charging two cars.

I was hoping to find more options like the clippercreek but they are the only on in the price range. There is other commercial units up to $8k and more for business but this is for residential use.

Thanks for this information, I was not aware this J1772 adapter was needed with the hcs-d50, that is another $200 added to overall cost.

The cost to run the conduit is not as much of a problem as the location of where the conduit has to be ran in the garage. Right now with the way my Sub panel is setup I can connect the conduit whip from the clippercreek directly into the panel or even a junction box right below it without much hassle.

I just don't have enough experience with the clippercreek but so far your feedback and another user is very good information. I don't want to buy something and have to replace it a few years later b/c it broke. I do like the fact it is a dumb charger in a sense as there is less which can break and go wrong.

I was hoping to find an alternative but there really isn't much out there for residential in terms of dual charging.