Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davezforce

IG @davezforce
Jan 18, 2017
NJ
Listings
Planning on a new X (first ev) and trying to figure out what I need to install and run (I’m an electrician) but what will charge the fastest/best at home. If I read correctly the 19’ X’s Use 48 amp max to charge (60 amp breaker/6 wire) Does the Tesla wall charger actually charge faster then I guess what would be next is a NEMA 14-50 plug? Do they get same mile per charge?

Thanks
Dave

Fist, how many miles do you expect to travel daily? That determines the minimum amount needed. A 120V plug works for many people.
If you need more, then the 14-50 is the next and solves the needs of most evaryoee else. That's what I have, along with an extra UMC. This is often much cheaper because you don't have to tell the electrician that it is for a Tesla$$$. It is also most flexible, ad other EVs can use it as well as things like campers

The most ezpenexpe is the Tesla HPWC, but is the cleanest install

Not sure if you referring to it, but the plug in 14-50 HPWC charger is an off-on again available option.

Since you obviously have the skills and will be doing the work I would just get a mounted HPWC and run 60 AMPs to it. Your car will get 48 instead of 40 Amps from the HPWC and will add around 12 KW instead of 10KW an hour to your battery.

Last edited:
I would suggest installing a HCWC at an even higher amperage just in case of later load sharing.
Wire is relatively inexpensive compared to labor granted labor is free but do you really want to pull new wire later if another vehicle can charge faster or you want to connect 2 vehicles later. Even if you keep the breaker small go for bigger wire now.

I have a 7 mile each way commute and still find occasion to crank up the charge rate on car which is old school 2x40amp on board chargers. Long as you have the service capacity overkill is better long term.

I would suggest installing a HCWC at an even higher amperage just in case of later load sharing.
Wire is relatively inexpensive compared to labor granted labor is free but do you really want to pull new wire later if another vehicle can charge faster or you want to connect 2 vehicles later. Even if you keep the breaker small go for bigger wire now.

I have a 7 mile each way commute and still find occasion to crank up the charge rate on car which is old school 2x40amp on board chargers. Long as you have the service capacity overkill is better long term.
I think that’s what I’ll do. Up size the wire for future, and go with the Tesla charger to get most miles per charge if need be. Thanks for all the info!

Since you are an electrician, this Tesla page explains your questions thoroughly:
Wall Connector

Bottom line is that 60A breaker/wiring is the maximum worth installing for new models, unless you plan on wanting to charge two or more Tesla's at once. It gets a little more complicated for the older model X that could charge up to 72A from AC: then you would wire for a 90A breaker/wiring if you wanted to go whole hog (but Tesla does not make vehicles with 72A AC charge capability any more).

The Mobile Connector (the connector that comes with your vehicle) is limited to 32A, so the wall connector is the highest current choice at 48A. I keep my Mobile Connector stored in the car (so I don't have to remember to take it with me on trips) so I purchased a second Mobile Connector ($300) to use at home: a Wall Connector is $500 and the extra 16A was of no value to me (20 MPH vs. 30 MPH charge rate).

The 14-50 plug/receptacle is limited to a 40A connected load by NFPA, and since the 14-50 is allowed to be used on a 40A breaker by code, Tesla reduced the Mobile Connector to 32A load (to not exceed the 80% rule of device load to breaker rating). So a Wall Connector needs to be hardwired (no receptacle) to use its full 48A capability.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yea that’s what threw me, the change in the on board charger. Last I looked I remember it was like 90 amps and almost 40 or something miles I think charge. Now that it’s getting closer to purchasing, and I’m starting to get stuff ready around the house I was seeing the 60 amp breaker talked about a lot. I do the Tesla charger because I’m saving on labor/material. And then I can keep the mobile connector in the car at all times. Might just run a 2 gauge for future if I want to get another one down the road.