Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automotive Wax and Top Coating Experiment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Suntek Ultra PPF (Front bumper, fenders, and hood) and Ceramic Pro on the Tesla. The PPF is something I'd do again no questions asked. The Ceramic Coating is a waste of money IMO. I have not seen the benefits of this product. Maybe on a show car, but not for a daily driver. Hydrosilex is a really great product, but somewhat expensive. So far Beadmaker has been working fantastic for the price point. I still have some Hydrosilex around that I use on the glass since it works so well.

I took my car in for a warranty inspection at Ceramic Pro last week. They need to do a yearly inspection to maintain the lifetime coating warranty. I was told it would be a visual inspection over the phone, but then they insisted they wash the car (and make me pay) once I arrived. I had already spent time washing the car and I had applied Beadmaker before coming as part of my final wipedown process. After they washed the car and inspected it, the Ceramic Pro folks said they were amazed at how well the car was beading water and how slick it was and that the Ceramic Coating was working exceptionally well on my car. I never did tell them it was top coated with Beadmaker.

LOL, nice...

Ceramic coatings do an excellent job at making cleaning your vehicle even easier but if there is a layer of contamination on top of the coating then it will naturally not work as well. Living in the midwest and having installed many Opti-Coat Pro coatings I would always tell my customers that they can expect little to no hydrophobics in the winter time and this is just due to the salt, sand and other things on the road that get caked on the vehicle and diminish the coatings properties.

How long does Opticoat last and does it have to be removed (how?) if another coat is applied after a few years?
Also how does it handle UV? In Australia the sun is very intense - you can just about sense the UV visually, and can certainly feel it! Plastics only last a fraction of the time they do in say Florida.

I washed the truck and here are the results 45 days after application.

Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax: Completely gone. Panel does not bead water.
Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine: Half gone. Sheets water yet.
P&S Beadmaker: Almost completely gone. Still feels slick but doesn't bead water anymore.
Hydrosilex: 3/4th gone. Sheets water more than P&S Beadmaker but not nearly as much as the Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine.

These panels were washed 3 times in a 45 day period. The truck endured extreme dust, heavy rain storms, and 95 degree heat waves.

Unscientific Results: Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine for best longevity. P&S Beadmaker for best gloss and slick feel.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid