Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Check the Model S/X Configurator recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For perspective, in fall of 2020, the Long Range Plus was available with 371 miles of "rated" range for $80,000 before options.

The Model S product seems more compelling - 300+ miles, and an efficient car. But X isn't efficient like S. particularly on the highway, it really takes a hit thanks to the frontal area.

I think another big, big price cut has to be coming. If it's a software lock, nobody is going to spend 90 grand on a car that is nerfed on purpose like this from the factory. If it's hardware, nobody is going to spend $90k on such a limited vehicle when the competitive set has more range and more of a lot of other things. You're never skipping a charger in the winter in that thing if you're road tripping. 90 grand gets you a german midsize EV crossover that will go up to *100 miles* further on a charge in the real world.

I suppose the good thing is, if it really is just software, charging to 100% is probably fine every day, so long as it's locking out the "top" of the pack and not the bottom...

If I were them, I'd leave Plaid at $110k, because halo cars should have halo pricing to some extent, but start S/X pricing in 10-15k range above the top spec 3 and Y. Right now, you're paying *an entire Model Y* more than the base Model Y, without much to show for it except forehead bruises from the doors. You can spend $55k on a base 5-series...or $130k on a 5-series with twice as much power and various other upgrades (M5). Tesla needs to start mining that market for both S and X.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
All the inventory Model X's have a $9500 discount but this newer standard range isn't yet in inventory and there's no discount on custom orders. So right now the actual cost difference is only $500. Why would anyone order the software locked (electrek confirmed its same battery just software locked) Model X for only a $500 discount?

If these get the same $9500 discount when they hit inventory then there'll be big demand for the base unit because you'd potentially qualify for the tax credit (not 100% sure because we don't know the component input locations)

All the inventory Model X's have a $9500 discount but this newer standard range isn't yet in inventory and there's no discount on custom orders. So right now the actual cost difference is only $500. Why would anyone order the software locked (electrek confirmed its same battery just software locked) Model X for only a $500 discount?

If these get the same $9500 discount when they hit inventory then there'll be big demand for the base unit because you'd potentially qualify for the tax credit (not 100% sure because we don't know the component input locations)
In the SF Bay Area not all the inventory cars have a discount although I’ve seen some that do. I’ve been tracking it and they tend to get discounted after they’ve been up on the site for a few days.

My guess is the plan it is to deliver inventory cars with the software lock to people that order the new standard range model so that way they can clear out the inventory.

In the SF Bay Area not all the inventory cars have a discount although I’ve seen some that do. I’ve been tracking it and they tend to get discounted after they’ve been up on the site for a few days.

My guess is the plan it is to deliver inventory cars with the software lock to people that order the new standard range model so that way they can clear out the inventory.
Sure, but it is another way to get more demand out of the Model S and Model X, plus they might price drop the SR cars because most people are not going to buy a $90,000 car that has only 255-269 miles of range

I am 99.9999999% sure they will do that, because

1. The Tesla Model X SR costs almost $90K for an SUV that has only 255-269 miles of range.

2. If they price drop the Model X enough, it will qualify for the $7,500 tax credit.

3. The Tesla Model S and Model X don’t get nearly as much demand as the Model 3 and Model Y