Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did a test drive in Australia. The acceleration was brutal. My 2019 performance feel slow in comparison.

Super impressive
I had the same feeling as you, it definitely felt faster than my 2019 M3P. But there is a post flying around saying that it felt slower than his old M3P.

It's strange, most people that have driven the new M3P are saying it feels faster.

Reactions: jyavenard
I had the same feeling as you, it definitely felt faster than my 2019 M3P. But there is a post flying around saying that it felt slower than his old M3P.

It's strange, most people that have driven the new M3P are saying it feels faster.
It’s going to end up being something dumb like he didn’t have it in insane mode

that must be it.... there can't be any other explanation. And my SoC was rather low (65% I returned the car 30 minutes later with 55%). It's not just the acceleration from standstill that felt quicker.
Quickly overtaking when I was already doing 90kph was even more impressive and significantly better than my current M3P

Any chance you had a dragy
I had my draggy with me.

Some context. It was cold and quite damp with some rain around, 69deg Fahrenheit. SOC 75%. 220lb's of me the driver.
I only had the car for 30mins as there is HUGE demand for test drives at the moment. The highway speed limit near the city is 100kph.
I only had the time to do one 0-100kph run from the side of the highway. LG pack in Australia of course.

did a 3.1 to 100kph with rollout and 3.3 to 100kph without. Exactly as claimed. I imagine with a heated battery, better surface and higher soc there is at least another 0.2sec in it.

I suspect a Panasonic car in good conditions will easily do a 2.9 without rollout and into the 2.8's with rollout based on my educated guess.

As for the top end speed over 70mph, no idea, nowhere near enough time to get out of the city to somewhere where it was safe to test.

Suspension is excellent

draggy1.jpg

I know the person who said this. He has owned a 2019 m3p with extensive fast car experience. I just can't believe he would make such a rookie error.

I test drove it today and it felt very fast, although I don't own a current m3p to compare. It did do a 3.1 to 100kph(3.0 to 60) without rollout though in pretty bad conditions on 75% soc, so I suspect it will easily do what it claims.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I had my draggy with me.

Some context. It was cold and quite damp with some rain around, 69deg Fahrenheit. SOC 75%. 220lb's of me the driver.
I only had the car for 30mins as there is HUGE demand for test drives at the moment. The highway speed limit near the city is 100kph.
I only had the time to do one 0-100kph run from the side of the highway. LG pack in Australia of course.

did a 3.1 to 100kph with rollout and 3.3 to 100kph without. Exactly as claimed. I imagine with a heated battery, better surface and higher soc there is at least another 0.2sec in it.

I suspect a Panasonic car in good conditions will easily do a 2.9 without rollout and into the 2.8's with rollout based on my educated guess.

As for the top end speed over 70mph, no idea, nowhere near enough time to get out of the city to somewhere where it was safe to test.

Suspension is excellent

View attachment 1048014
Thank you for all of this great data. We really appreciate you testing it.

However, this really doesn’t look good at all. I put a Dragy result below from a car with just 18” wheels and no other weight reductions.

Just look at the acceleration line for both cars. The new MIC car is falling off well before the old Panasonic car with smaller and lighter wheels.

Honestly, that graph terrifies me. Whatever was happening with that car is not what I want at all.

Thankfully most of the gains are at speeds above this test but that is not a good start at all. That is slower than my current car with all of the seats in it.

IMG_5815.png

IMG_5812.jpeg

Reactions: pyrosci and Adam3
I mean context is important. For direct comparisons you would need to have the cars side by side in the same conditions.

This was damp, with the 20s with 75% soc , with a 220lb driver and just a single run, launching from a very much unprepper side of the highway.

The 60mph to 100kph is worth about 0.15 to .18sec as well. Which means it's already equally as fast despite the disadvantages.

It's way too early to draw any conclusions. I feel there is at least 0.2sec improvement in it at least.

Reactions: MarkoP
I mean context is important. For direct comparisons you would need to have the cars side by side in the same conditions.

This was damp, with the 20s with 75% soc , with a 220lb driver and just a single run, launching from a very much unprepper side of the highway.

The 60mph to 100kph is worth about 0.15 to .18sec as well. Which means it's already equally as fast despite the disadvantages.

It's way too early to draw any conclusions. I feel there is at least 0.2sec improvement in it at least.
I agree that it was not necessarily a direct comparison. However, I am 200+ lbs and the part I am comparing is from 40 mph to 60+ mph. Traction is irrelevant then because torque is falling off by that point.

The whole point of the new rear motor is that it allows you to hold max power much longer. This car does not appear to be doing that at all and the traction wouldn’t affect that at all.

Battery temp and SOC would definitely affect it and those were drastically different in all likelihood. This may be an indication that this car is even more temperature dependent than the old car.

Whatever, it is those results were not what we wanted to see. Nothing in those results indicates it is better than the old US built cars with the Panasonic battery. Remember the new car doesn’t have smaller wheels but it does have lighter ones. That alone would make a minor difference.

Reactions: cptnslo
Here is my general impressions past the numbers.

The power felt strong and consistent. Traction is excellent. It was damp with wet patches and it still pulled strong with no tramlining. Mashing the throttle at 30mph was smooth and gained speed very very quickly, as you would expect. Based on my 25years of fast car driving, felt every bit of 550hp.

The suspension is a strong point, good damping over stronger bumps like speedbumps, very smooth on the highway at 65mph, very quiet allthough some tyre noise could be heard over coarser roads. I purposely had the stereo off to make noises more obvious.

The steering had good turn in, very pointy, very controllable, slightly artifical at times, allthough as I was on a public road in a test car I wasn't pushing too hard. I think it will be a hoot on track.

Didn't really get to test the brakes, 1 pedal driving was easy.

The seats were comfortable and fit me perfectly, 220lbs 5ft4, short and stocky.
The seat cooling was wonderful and covered all the way to the neck allthough you could hear the motors.

Based on my 35mins of driving, anyone who buys this car will be extremely happy, especially at the price.

It's well sorted, comfortable, more than fast enough at legal speeds (here's hoping it has the top end to match) but even so, there has been so many upgrades it feels like what the car should have been to begin with.

Honestly, I really think the data you provided is highlighting the fact that the Panasonic car really is going to be significantly quicker especially with that new rear motor. The LG battery does appear to be a significant handicap.

Thanks for your impressions. My main hope with this car, coming from a 2020 M3P, is that the build quality, ride comfort, and NVH is better. I'm actually less fussed about the performance. The current Performance 3 is fine from a power perspective, although like everyone else I would like more top end.

My main gripe with my current 3 is how ridiculously loud the interior gets above 50mph. It's atrocious.

I want a clear separation in comfort and handling between the two selectable damper settings and I want the car to ride quieter and feel more premium.

Thanks for your impressions. My main hope with this car, coming from a 2020 M3P, is that the build quality, ride comfort, and NVH is better. I'm actually less fussed about the performance. The current Performance 3 is fine from a power perspective, although like everyone else I would like more top end.

My main gripe with my current 3 is how ridiculously loud the interior gets above 50mph. It's atrocious.

I want a clear separation in comfort and handling between the two selectable damper settings and I want the car to ride quieter and feel more premium.
It is all those things for sure.

It's no Bentley, but its massively improved over the pre highland cars.

Definitely on par within its price bracket.

Ohh I forgot it also recorded in those pesky ridiculous American units lol.
View attachment 1048049
2.99 to 60 with roll-out at 75% soc. The car is definitely capable of faster than what tesla are saying.
Thank you so much for this version. This tells us so much.

Look at that 0-10 mph launch. .39 exactly matches my absolute best time with a fully preconditioned and gutted car.

The test you did matches my best lightweight run all the way to 40 mph where the new car absolutely collapsed. It is almost like it threw out the anchor. I honestly think battery temperature was affecting it severely there.

This new launch is very good but that 40+ mph acceleration is Deplorable. I really hope the US car is far better than this. That chart is indicating a step backwards from what we have in the US right now.
IMG_5818.png
IMG_5817.jpeg

Thank you so much for this version. This tells us so much.

Look at that 0-10 mph launch. .39 exactly matches my absolute best time with a fully preconditioned and gutted car.

The test you did matches my best lightweight run all the way to 40 mph where the new car absolutely collapsed. It is almost like it threw out the anchor. I honestly think battery temperature was affecting it severely there.

This new launch is very good but that 40+ mph acceleration is Deplorable. I really hope the US car is far better than this. That chart is indicating a step backwards from what we have in the US right now.
No doubt, although I don't know for sure, I can just about guarantee the battery was cold. The car wasn't charging when i got there, i drove through a few mins of traffic at low speeds, then just punched it once.

We wont really be able to test until owners get cars, which the USA looks like will be real soon.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
No doubt, although I don't know for sure, I can just about guarantee the battery was cold. The car wasn't charging when i got there, i drove through a few mins of traffic at low speeds, then just punched it once.

We wont really be able to test until owners get cars, which the USA looks like will be real soon.
Yes, you did the best you could with what you had and we all appreciate it. A cold battery will affect this new car tremendously.

I checked for the absolute slowest run I have ever had and the 50-60 mph time you had exactly matched my 50-60 mph from that slow run. I had intentionally chilled the battery for about 15 minutes for that run and I had 82% SOC.

I can’t stress enough how disappointing that 40-60 mph time is. If the American cars are doing that in any conditions then that would definitely make me second guess taking delivery of the car.