Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot tries to exit at every right lane exit opportunity (SoCal)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car doesn't have AP, but a co-worker's car does... did an interesting test this afternoon:

Going down the highway at around 65 MPH, the AP wanted to exit at every potential exit, when driving in the right lane (not exit exclusive one). A gentle touch of the steering wheel kept it on the freeway, after some testing of course, but an interesting behavior.

My car doesn't have AP, but a co-worker's car does... did an interesting test this afternoon:

Going down the highway at around 65 MPH, the AP wanted to exit at every potential exit, when driving in the right lane (not exit exclusive one). A gentle touch of the steering wheel kept it on the freeway, after some testing of course, but an interesting behavior.

Interesting

Not sure what could be the cause for that kind of behaviour of the Model S.

Maybe you should inform Tesla about this?

Did you set the navigation to a certain destionation, or didn't you use the navigation at all?

That behavior Tesla says they are recording so that others that pass the same way don't experience the same.

That occured to me a few times as well. The mapping over time should improve this.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting

Not sure what could be the cause for that kind of behaviour of the Model S.

Maybe you should inform Tesla about this?

Did you set the navigation to a certain destionation, or didn't you use the navigation at all?

Nav is not incorporated into AP. It doesn't know where you are intending to go.

Are you sure about this? My understanding was that it was intended to get you to your destination, say Phoenix to San Diego, all while pulling into Supercharger stations along the way. You're saying it has no idea where your intended destination is? What information do you have to corroborate that statement?

Are you sure about this? My understanding was that it was intended to get you to your destination, say Phoenix to San Diego, all while pulling into Supercharger stations along the way. You're saying it has no idea where your intended destination is? What information do you have to corroborate that statement?
none of that has ever been promised by Tesla, they promised it would drive on a freeway only, and stay in it's lane, changing lanes when you request by the turn signal. They have explicitly stated many many many times that it is not designed for surface streets, can't do stop signs or traffic lights, will not do it's own routing, and is really only a more advanced cruise control.

If you think they've ever said it would do something else, please supply your reference.

Take a video as this shouldn't happen that often or could you point to the section of road that you experienced this?

I put about 40 hwy miles on using AP today. On the freeway it worked great for me. No exit issues. On a surface street with instersecting roads with broken lines at the intersection it tried to pull to the right when passing. Not the intended use for now, I get that.

In my humble opinion, the steering system is not safe at speeds of 65 mph or more on SoCal freeways. I spent most of the day testing things in non rush hour traffic and the car was unable to dependably follow gentle curves in the road is speed increases. It tends to drift to the outside around a bend in the freeway and then make an abrupt correction which shuts the system down. As mentioned, it try's to take all off ramps or any added lane. It also tends to follow the car in front that car changes lanes while going around a curve thus making the Tesla think it is going straight. It is totally confused by interchange conditions. I was unable to coax it in the correct direction without shutting the system down but I'll try that again tomorrow. It hates HOV lanes as they tend to be narrow and often irregular on the left side. The car was riding the wall and with the slow steering reaction I was concerned it would scrape. As close as it got to the left side wall, even a mild pavement rough spot could cause the car to lurch into the wall.

i do think it works great in rush hour stop and go traffic. The TACC is much smoother now and is a delight with or with out the steering assist. I am of the overall feeling that the steering is not ready for prime time yet. I applaud the effort and I know things will continue to improve with time and upgrades. However, for now, be really careful and don't trust it. I had the steering shut down on me no less than 5 times today alone and that doesn't include the multiple times I had to jump in to prevent a false turn or collision. I predict that within several weeks there will be a rash of reported accidents involving Teslas whose owners are using the steering system with insufficient care and monitoring. For now, I'm sticking with TACC and the lane change feature.

Oh yes, FIX the stupid speedometer location. It is now blocked by the steering wheel!

In my humble opinion, the steering system is not safe at speeds of 65 mph or more on SoCal freeways. I spent most of the day testing things in non rush hour traffic and the car was unable to dependably follow gentle curves in the road is speed increases. It tends to drift to the outside around a bend in the freeway and then make an abrupt correction which shuts the system down. As mentioned, it try's to take all off ramps or any added lane. It also tends to follow the car in front that car changes lanes while going around a curve thus making the Tesla think it is going straight. It is totally confused by interchange conditions. I was unable to coax it in the correct direction without shutting the system down but I'll try that again tomorrow. It hates HOV lanes as they tend to be narrow and often irregular on the left side. The car was riding the wall and with the slow steering reaction I was concerned it would scrape. As close as it got to the left side wall, even a mild pavement rough spot could cause the car to lurch into the wall.

i do think it works great in rush hour stop and go traffic. The TACC is much smoother now and is a delight with or with out the steering assist. I am of the overall feeling that the steering is not ready for prime time yet. I applaud the effort and I know things will continue to improve with time and upgrades. However, for now, be really careful and don't trust it. I had the steering shut down on me no less than 5 times today alone and that doesn't include the multiple times I had to jump in to prevent a false turn or collision. I predict that within several weeks there will be a rash of reported accidents involving Teslas whose owners are using the steering system with insufficient care and monitoring. For now, I'm sticking with TACC and the lane change feature.

Oh yes, FIX the stupid speedometer location. It is now blocked by the steering wheel!

Interesting. Your experience doesn't match that of several others on the forums or the many videos posted of flawless performance of the system. Interesting data point nevertheless.

Every highway is built by a different combination of engineers, road crews, and line painters. There will be lots of variation, and sometimes the AP system will work great and sometimes not so much. I think we understand and expect the system to falter when the road lines are worn or disrupted, but even new, fresh markings might confuse the AP.

Our brains are wonderfully able to process and interpret the variations -- so much so that we don't even notice them. The tiny brain of the AP does not have the capacity nor the experience

These early assessments of how well the autosteer works being so radically different are to be expected. Just keep trying it in different conditions. Just because it does not work the first time you try it, don't just give up on it and start saying it does not work. It will work fine on some roads and not others. With experience, you will discover where it works and where it does not.

By the same token, if your first experience with autosteer is wonderful, don't expect it every time and just set it and start texting. It will always have to be watched.

I drove home last night in the left HOV lane and then later in the Right lane. Both left and right lanes have exit ramps. At every opportunity, AP tried to jump into the exit ramp (left and right). I was on the Toll Road off the beltway around DC. Definitely a bug as I even had the GPS running to clue the car in as to where I was going. Not a big issue certainly, as I kept my fingers on the wheel, but at 65mph, it causes a visible wobble in the car when I have to grab the wheel and force the car back into lane.

I'm curious how AP handles left lane off ramps. Like if you are going north on the 5 in the carpool lane and want to go on the north 405, does it know how to go on the 405 carpool exit? Or the 710 north to the 5 north.

My MS tried to take a left exit lane last night, potentially almost put me into the water barrels. Not sure what would actually have happened had I not taken over, but it could have been bad.

My best experience on AP so far has been in the center lane so there are no onramps and offramps to worry about.