Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for some help with my charge port. Recently, my charge port failed and I bought a new one OTC, and replaced it. The new charge port does not drop its latch pin the whole way, and I need to manually actuate the release the last couple of mm to retract the pin enough to remove the charging handle from the port. It does retract enough for charging handle insertion, but the handle still ends up moving the latch pin out of the way. Is this indicative of a defective charge port? The SC won't take it back if it's broken (not sure if that's legal) but before I do something like pursue small claims, I want to understand if there is some procedure either physically, or via toolbox to recalibrate the stepper/servo. It's clearly not binding, it's just not being commanded to actuate the full distance. Car is a ~17 S. See illustration attached over my pre-closeout photo. The release is currently in the closed position. It moved to the red position when commanded to release, but I have to further manually move it to the green position to release the charging handle fully.

1716391400355.png

I'm looking for some help with my charge port. Recently, my charge port failed and I bought a new one OTC, and replaced it. The new charge port does not drop its latch pin the whole way, and I need to manually actuate the release the last couple of mm to retract the pin enough to remove the charging handle from the port. It does retract enough for charging handle insertion, but the handle still ends up moving the latch pin out of the way. Is this indicative of a defective charge port? The SC won't take it back if it's broken (not sure if that's legal) but before I do something like pursue small claims, I want to understand if there is some procedure either physically, or via toolbox to recalibrate the stepper/servo. It's clearly not binding, it's just not being commanded to actuate the full distance. Car is a ~17 S. See illustration attached over my pre-closeout photo. The release is currently in the closed position. It moved to the red position when commanded to release, but I have to further manually move it to the green position to release the charging handle fully.

View attachment 1049571
Did you follow the procedure in the Service manual?

Did you follow the procedure in the Service manual?
Yes.

The latch mechanism is integral to the charge port, and its fitment is determined at component assembly time, as far as I can tell. Do you have actual insight into solving this issue or just trying to comcast troubleshoot? This isn't my first rodeo, and not the fist HV part I've serviced on this vehicle. I've already been to the service center and chatted to a couple of techs and they have not encountered this issue before, though who knows how experienced they are with older cars. I suspect this part is defective and that I will have to small claims them, however, I would like to see if anyone can confirm whether or not there is a procedure in toolbox to calibrate this system, or an internal adjustment. I don't want to buy a day of toolbox without knowing definitively that a calibration routine for this parts exist.

Yes.

The latch mechanism is integral to the charge port, and its fitment is determined at component assembly time, as far as I can tell. Do you have actual insight into solving this issue or just trying to comcast troubleshoot? This isn't my first rodeo, and not the fist HV part I've serviced on this vehicle. I've already been to the service center and chatted to a couple of techs and they have not encountered this issue before, though who knows how experienced they are with older cars. I suspect this part is defective and that I will have to small claims them, however, I would like to see if anyone can confirm whether or not there is a procedure in toolbox to calibrate this system, or an internal adjustment. I don't want to buy a day of toolbox without knowing definitively that a calibration routine for this parts exist.
Crazy, I've gotten defective parts OTC locally, and they were more than happy to switch them out. Can you try a different service center?

I would like to see if anyone can confirm whether or not there is a procedure in toolbox to calibrate this system, or an internal adjustment. I don't want to buy a day of toolbox without knowing definitively that a calibration routine for this parts exist.
Although I have no experience with toolbox and when Tesla did change the charge port out on mine then they did had some computer adjustment on it. I would try to redeploy the car’s current software, it can be selected in the service menu. This might give similar result but as told I had no need for it.

Here is the technician description on the invoice:
-Updated the vehicle firmware, performed a calibration routine to the charge port door sensor. After repairs confirmed that the charge port door and charge port do work normally, without any issues.

Although I have no experience with toolbox and when Tesla did change the charge port out on mine then they did had some computer adjustment on it. I would try to redeploy the car’s current software, it can be selected in the service menu. This might give similar result but as told I had no need for it.

Here is the technician description on the invoice:
-Updated the vehicle firmware, performed a calibration routine to the charge port door sensor. After repairs confirmed that the charge port door and charge port do work normally, without any issues.
I did do the CAN firmware redeploy as part of my initial install, since the firmware was not initially compatible.

Yes.

Not everyone reads the instructions. Those that have often put the car info in their signature which would help with a reply.

I would think that if a toolbox adjustment was needed, it would be in the applicable SM section for replacing the charge port assy

I have purchased a new charge port because of poor fit and defective comolding of the seals. Note from my sig that this is for a new MS with the CCS adapter compliant door and may not be relevant to your car.

I have not installed it as when I took out the old one to try to fix the problems caused by a failed attempt by service to fix it, I noted that the SM was lacking in key respects.

I have not yet installed the new one, since I found a way to rig the door flush to my satisfaction.