Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching various youtube videos in this, it seems most commentators aren't happy with the supercharger team layoff (how I feel as well). But there is a subset who feel it could be a good thing for the EV landscape. All these commentators that I've seen so far essentially make the argument that other charging companies will now step in and fill the gap, leading to competition, and therefor lower prices for EV drivers. Presumably these companies will have motivation to improve their charger reliability as well.

Trying to follow this logic along... There was nothing stopping these companies from doing this previously. So if the firing of the Tesla supercharger team is supposed to be the catalyst that causes other companies to step up and build good, affordable and reliable DC fast chargers, I personally can only think of 2 reasons why this could be: 1.) Third party companies previously felt they could not compete with the Tesla supercharger network, but now with Tesla pulling back, they feel a window has opened up and they can now compete, or 2.) They previously felt they could not compete with the Tesla supercharger network, but now with all the layoffs from Tesla, they can hire these people and now can compete, in the setting of the Tesla pullback.

Personally, I don't buy either argument. I guess only time will tell.

It was reported that $500M is about 1/3 of their original plans for 2024. This estimate not been confirmed.
So, if we do a little back-of-the-envelope arithmetic...

$500M times 3 equals $1.5B. Let's straight-line the expenditures through April, or 1/3 of the year. So, there is about $1B remaining unspent, give or take.

Supercharger department was ordered to reduce staffing by 20%. Rebecca T. reduced the staffing by 15%. If 500 remained after her cuts, 500/.85 = 588 or so that were in the department before she laid off 15%. Musk wanted a 20% reduction, or roughly 120 people, thereby reducing the department to around 470 individuals.

Now, he relents and says that a half billion dollars (or about half of my wild-ass-guess of one billion dollars remaining) will be available and is restarting the department. Staffing will be NOT be proportionate to the dollars available. My feeling that it will be a bare-bones department, knowing Tesla's history.

I conclude that Musk all along wanted to slash the Supercharger department drastically--much more than the original 20% across the board. Twenty percent sounds like a palatable number that won't raise a lot of eyebrows in the public's mind.

I think that if Rebecca had reduced staffing by about 20% that Musk would still want more cuts come summer. I think there would have been another round of layoffs a few months later to trim the department even more because he wanted that money for his other pet projects.

Reactions: ahardfsu
So, if we do a little back-of-the-envelope arithmetic...

$500M times 3 equals $1.5B. Let's straight-line the expenditures through April, or 1/3 of the year. So, there is about $1B remaining unspent, give or take.

Supercharger department was ordered to reduce staffing by 20%. Rebecca T. reduced the staffing by 15%. If 500 remained after her cuts, 500/.85 = 588 or so that were in the department before she laid off 15%. Musk wanted a 20% reduction, or roughly 120 people, thereby reducing the department to around 470 individuals.

Now, he relents and says that a half billion dollars (or about half of my wild-ass-guess of one billion dollars remaining) will be available and is restarting the department. Staffing will be NOT be proportionate to the dollars available. My feeling that it will be a bare-bones department, knowing Tesla's history.

I conclude that Musk all along wanted to slash the Supercharger department drastically--much more than the original 20% across the board. Twenty percent sounds like a palatable number that won't raise a lot of eyebrows in the public's mind.

I think that if Rebecca had reduced staffing by about 20% that Musk would still want more cuts come summer. I think there would have been another round of layoffs a few months later to trim the department even more because he wanted that money for his other pet projects.
The 20% was a companywide target. First round was 10%, second round another 10% (for 20% total). This came because there was a massive drop in revenue and profits the previous quarter. People above completely missed this AGAIN, but from the same leaked email, Tinucci and people working under her were not the only ones fired, she was one of two groups: Daniel Ho (head of new products) was also fired (along with presumably all people working under him). It was move to warn heads of other divisions that Elon won't take any pushback on the percentage of people firing (using a high performing division and one that many though was critical makes the point fairly clear). This was NOT simply an internal reallocation of resources, but rather because Tesla's finances were poor last quarter.

That is not to say there aren't other reasons why superchargers no longer remained "untouchable". As brought up upthread, once Tesla opened up superchargers to non-Tesla EVs, they no longer remain as a unique selling point (you can buy non-Tesla EVs and use them), thus they are no immune to layoffs. If this wasn't the case (Tesla didn't get convinced by Ford's CEO to open them up), then it might be a bit different (and there would be justification to continue the same level of investment, given it serves as a strong selling point).

I view this slightly differently.

Let's say Tesla did not open up NACS. That means only Tesla vehicles can use Superchargers. And because of this, Tesla vehicles have major selling point that other EVs do not have. Tesla has a pseudo monopoly of the way its vehicles can be charged. If vehicle sales are down, they must maintain this monopoly to keep selling more vehicles. They would not necessarily have to keep investing in Superchargers. They would do fine just maintaining what they have because everybody already knows that Superchargers are the best. We can use Level 1 or 2 chargers at home or go to a CCS charging station. But how many current Tesla owners actually do that now? Tesla owners still prefer Superchargers.

The reality now is that Tesla did open NACS to other companies. This would probably impact Tesla vehicle sales negatively. One big factor deciding between a Tesla and other EVs is NACS or CCS charging. But now that doesn't matter any more. If Tesla is going to be selling less vehicles, they can make up the lost revenue with Superchargers because many other EVs will be able to use them soon. That should indicate they must invest more in Superchargers. Because of an erratic billionaire, Tesla lost a lot more than you can see on the exterior. One man burned the bridge to many localities, power companies, construction companies, contractors, and much, much more. It'll be a difficult and long process to rebuild those bridges.

Last edited:
Electrek was not the original source, and there has been zero denial that the email is real over the last month.
That doesn't mean much. Once it's in print it's the truth. And ... nobody except Tesla managers, those in media and those playing managers on TMC know why there was a need at all for layoffs. It's all just guessing. The media likes to say firings because it's more inflammatory.

Ha, like Tesla is even remotely interested in refuting or corroborating social media. Electrick is not a news source, they are one arm of social media. Their sources familiar with are social media. Might as well quote reddit as a source familiar with.

Last edited:
By definition, layoffs can’t be performance based. A layoff is a company eliminating a position because of a mistake it made in staffing. If it’s performance based, that’s being fired. Companies should never couch termination due to performance as layoffs.
I see what you're saying, but in most companies there is a strategy even while cutting costs to maintain the function of the business. That often means if two capable people are in the same role, the one with lower performance will be let go. It will still be considered a layoff because the person let go was not in any way underperforming.

In any case, I don't know if the entire supercharging team was a 'mistake in staffing'. Based on my experience as a customer that was the only part of the company which was truly without fault and drove a lot of Tesla's success.

That’s my point exactly. They didn’t seem over staffed or underperforming. Why cut this team at all? To send a message that I expect you to lay off at least X% of your staff and if you don’t I’ll fire the lot of you just seems wrong. This group was not contribute to the shortcomings that forced numerous pricing changes and missed earnings/sales estimates. They were doing things right.

Reactions: Just a Reader
I view this slightly differently.

Let's say Tesla did not open up NACS. That means only Tesla vehicles can use Superchargers. And because of this, Tesla vehicles have major selling point that other EVs do not have. Tesla has a pseudo monopoly of the way its vehicles can be charged. If vehicle sales are down, they must maintain this monopoly to keep selling more vehicles. They would not necessarily have to keep investing in Superchargers. They would do fine just maintaining what they have because everybody already knows that Superchargers are the best. We can use Level 1 or 2 chargers at home or go to a CCS charging station. But how many current Tesla owners actually do that now? Tesla owners still prefer Superchargers.
If it remained exclusive to Tesla, then focusing more investment makes sense, because even though superchargers are a net quarterly money loser (once you factor in expansion costs also), they helped drive sales. That was what justified the rapid expansion.
The reality now is that Tesla did open NACS to other companies. This would probably impact Tesla vehicle sales negatively. One big factor deciding between a Tesla and other EVs is NACS or CCS charging. But now that doesn't matter any more. If Tesla is going to be selling less vehicles, they can make up the lost revenue with Superchargers because many other EVs will be able to use them soon. That should indicate they must invest more in Superchargers. Because of an erratic billionaire, Tesla lost a lot more than you can see on the exterior. One man burned the bridge to many localities, power companies, construction companies, contractors, and much, much more. It'll be a difficult and long process to rebuild those bridges.
You are assuming superchargers (and charge networks in general) are profitable, but they are not, especially when you expand at the rate Tesla was expanding. As such, given superchargers are no longer exclusive to Tesla, it makes much less sense to invest into superchargers at a rapid pace (such that on the balance sheet it remains a net negative). They only need to invest the bare minimum to cover Tesla demand and slow enough to break even or have a small profit. The other automakers have paid ZERO dollars upfront into the network and do not have any investment commitment to cover the costs of expanding the network to deal with the extra demand they put on the network (unlike previously expected, Tesla didn't require automakers to pitch in anything to gain access to the network).

As a sanity check, revenue for superchargers was $1.74 billion in 2023, compared to $96.8 billion total revenue, a drop in the bucket and not anywhere close enough to make a dent compared to the impact to sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLRifleman
Now that Bloomberg is publishing unflattering articles about Tesla, will they also become the target of Elon’s social media discrediting swipes or is Mike Bloomberg a bit smarter than the dummies at Reuters when it comes to building a news org?

So much for “the maintenance team wasn’t part of the cuts”. One technician for a 200 mile stretch in California… lol… good luck with that.

• Funny
Reactions: EatsShoots
If it remained exclusive to Tesla, then focusing more investment makes sense, because even though superchargers are a net quarterly money loser (once you factor in expansion costs also), they helped drive sales. That was what justified the rapid expansion.

You are assuming superchargers (and charge networks in general) are profitable, but they are not, especially when you expand at the rate Tesla was expanding. As such, given superchargers are no longer exclusive to Tesla, it makes much less sense to invest into superchargers at a rapid pace (such that on the balance sheet it remains a net negative). They only need to invest the bare minimum to cover Tesla demand and slow enough to break even or have a small profit. The other automakers have paid ZERO dollars upfront into the network and do not have any investment commitment to cover the costs of expanding the network to deal with the extra demand they put on the network (unlike previously expected, Tesla didn't require automakers to pitch in anything to gain access to the network).

As a sanity check, revenue for superchargers was $1.74 billion in 2023, compared to $96.8 billion total revenue, a drop in the bucket and not anywhere close enough to make a dent compared to the impact to sales.
If your litmus test for shutting things down is whether they make a profit right now, then Tesla itself should have shut down many years ago when it wasn't making money. So rather, the fact is the superchargers are projected to be profitable. Even Elon himself said this just a couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: gglockner
For a bit of a data point to this discussion, a good friend of mine that was let go as part of the SC team layoff/firing was recently rehired. Their job is to acquire high value SC sites and interact with and get lease agreements signed with potential site hosts / property owners. They are delighted to be back on the job...
Sounds like landmen to me!

For a bit of a data point to this discussion, a good friend of mine that was let go as part of the SC team layoff/firing was recently rehired. Their job is to acquire high value SC sites and interact with and get lease agreements signed with potential site hosts / property owners. They are delighted to be back on the job...
That is indeed a data point. How many out of how many were fired and rehired would be information.

Reactions: KJD and ahardfsu
… and will most certainly look for other job opportunities constantly from now on. Fool me once, fool me twice…

If your litmus test for shutting things down is whether they make a profit right now, then Tesla itself should have shut down many years ago when it wasn't making money. So rather, the fact is the superchargers are projected to be profitable. Even Elon himself said this just a couple of years.
I'm not talking about shutting down the supercharger network, that was never on the table despite the initial hysteria suggesting that (neither was shutting down Tesla), so your analogy doesn't apply. Rather it's slowing down the pace of expansion to a rate where it can at least break even.

Tesla as a whole is doing similar, they are doing layoffs to bring costs down closer to match with actual revenue. This is not the first time they did that either, here's a history:

Looks like Tesla is rehiring people to keep new installations going, and presumably their liaison for NACS adoption have either been rehired or has a replacement. As long as NACS adoption continues, then EV charging demand can be offloaded to third party networks and also all the stations currently getting billions of NEVI funding, and Teslas can use them (given they will have NACS). Superchargers don't have to be the only option. That's why I've been saying upthread, that keeping communication with automakers on NACS adoption was far more critical than new installations.

I'm not talking about shutting down the supercharger network, that was never on the table despite the initial hysteria suggesting that (neither was shutting down Tesla), so your analogy doesn't apply. Rather it's slowing down the pace of expansion to a rate where it can at least break even.

Tesla as a whole is doing similar, they are doing layoffs to bring costs down closer to match with actual revenue. This is not the first time they did that either, here's a history:

Looks like Tesla is rehiring people to keep new installations going, and presumably their liaison for NACS adoption have either been rehired or has a replacement. As long as NACS adoption continues, then EV charging demand can be offloaded to third party networks and also all the stations currently getting billions of NEVI funding, and Teslas can use them (given they will have NACS). Superchargers don't have to be the only option. That's why I've been saying upthread, that keeping communication with automakers on NACS adoption was far more critical than new installations.
because "offloading to third party networks" in the charging world has worked super so far. Electrify America anyone?