Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Keeps Disconnecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep having to open and lock my MYLR with my card or phone key as the Bluetooth connection keeps failing despite reconnecting my phone and the car on several occasions. Today, the Bluetooth Initialising kept spinning on the screen. i am also frequently asked to move the key card against the middle section before I can drive off. Any ideas how to solve this or do I need to contact Tesla?

By "reconnecting" do you mean deleting and re-adding the phone-as-key connection? That can help.

Also search for relevant threads with tips like not having the phone in your back pocket when approaching the car. A thread or two suggested renaming your phone's bluetooth if needed to remove punctuation as in Sixfootwo's phone.

A more extreme tip was to remove unusual punctuation in your contacts' names. That seems an unlikely fix, esp. since the BT key connection is separate from the BT phone/text/audio/contacts connection, although it takes a while to get confidence in whether a change fixes a flakey problem. I'd expect that turning off contact-sync would be an adequate and quicker test of that hypothesis.

One person on TMC had to get a replacement bluetooth module in the driver side B pillar. That should be rare but you could test if the passenger side bluetooth module unlocks the car reliably.

I've just checked my wife's phone and the door opened OK and closed as I walked away. However, when I pressed CONNECT on the Tesla screen, the message UNABLE TO CONNECT came up. Think there is definitely a Bluetooth problem with the car.