Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tesla Model 3 2021. A few days ago I got the message that I have a free one month trial of FS, I have played with it a little just for fun, but don't see much value in it? However, the Autopark feature sound like it could be helpful to me, as I am not very good at parking. Yet I cannot figure out how to use it?

The manual says if driving below 15 MPH, the screen sill show parking space, that one can tap one and the car will park there? However, no matter how slow I drive, I have never seen those highlighted parking spaces? I've tried giving voice commands like "Autopark" or "Park Car", and that doesn't work?

How does one use the Autopark feature? Is it any good?

Autopark will only back into parking spaces, so you have to be in a position where that's possible before it will offer to park. Try driving around in a parking lot with well marked spaces. In the online versions of the manual it says you have to be traveling below 8mph.

I've used it a few times to perpendicular park. It's better than the old version of Autopark, which didn't recognize spaces as well and was slow while parking.

Autopark will only back into parking spaces, so you have to be in a position where that's possible before it will offer to park. Try driving around in a parking lot with well marked spaces. In the online versions of the manual it says you have to be traveling below 8mph.

I've used it a few times to perpendicular park. It's better than the old version of Autopark, which didn't recognize spaces as well and was slow while parking.
No parallel parking?

I tried to use it for the first time today in a parallel parking space. The car identified several rectangles as potential parking spaces. I touched the screen with the highlighted space. The car started to back in, but swung out the front end of the car in order to back in. There was a big problem in doing that because it swung out towards a vehicle coming from the opposing direction. I had to disengage that attempt in order to keep from hitting that oncoming vehicle. That was not a good experience for my first time using it.

I have seen the video now. Have not yet had the opportunity to try Autopark for parallel parking, or in a parking lot, but tried to get it to park my car in my carport. I drove very slowly in (like 1-2 MPH in front of the carport, even stopped in front of it, but never saw the P symbols on my screen?

Does Autopark not work for parking in a carport?

Or might it be that Autopark does not work with the 30 day free trial of FSD, but only with the paid version? Has anyone here used Autopark with the free trial version? (most recent update, 2021 Model 3)

I have seen the video now. Have not yet had the opportunity to try Autopark for parallel parking, or in a parking lot, but tried to get it to park my car in my carport. I drove very slowly in (like 1-2 MPH in front of the carport, even stopped in front of it, but never saw the P symbols on my screen?

Or might it be that Autopark does not work with the 30 day free trial of FSD, but only with the paid version? Has anyone here used Autopark with the free trial version? (most recent update, 2021 Model 3)
I'm on the free trial and have used it. It seems to require either painted lines on the ground or cars that it can park next to.

Reactions: brianbcc

No it doesn't work for a garage. It looks for parking lines in a parking lot or open spots on the street. Here is a video to hack it for using at home.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dewg
I tried to use it for the first time today in a parallel parking space. The car identified several rectangles as potential parking spaces. I touched the screen with the highlighted space. The car started to back in, but swung out the front end of the car in order to back in. There was a big problem in doing that because it swung out towards a vehicle coming from the opposing direction. I had to disengage that attempt in order to keep from hitting that oncoming vehicle. That was not a good experience for my first time using it.
My understanding on how autopark works is that the car will try to fit itself into that blue rectangle WITHOUT any awareness of moving cars around you. And if it managed to detect a space and placed a rectangle crooked (not straight or closer to one of the two cars), it will still try to fit into that blue rectangle.

This is why I only use it (for now) when no moving cars are around me. When it does correctly identify a blue rectangle, it does manage to park by itself nicely, but slowly.

Reactions: JKad