Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
X-Care Postcard copy.png

Service Available XCare EV Protection

Protection for your EV - comprehensive coverage with a variety of terms to see your needs. Battery + Drive Unit available for Teslas. Payment plans available.
Free
Related vehicle
  1. Model S
  2. Model 3
  3. Model X
  4. Model Y
  5. Cybertruck
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the Xcelerate coverage, back in 2021. So far I had 6 claims with them. The firs 5 where pretty smooth and straight forward, but my last claim was a night mare - I believe its all because they implemented this new extra steps with cause of failure and all this.
In my experience tesla service doesn't want to communicate with xcelerate and I understand them, who want's to waste extra time if they can just deal with their customer. So all communication has to go through me. Now instead of going on my tasks for the day I have to be the messenger between them 2.

Example on my current service:
    1. I get the estimate from tesla
    2. Xcelerate wants the causes on it
      1. tesla says if you want that then you have to approve at least 1 h labor for them to inspect the items and update the invoice
      2. ask xcelerate that - they say I have to approve it since I will have to pay it if the item is not coverred
    3. I came with known tesla's design failure of halfshaft rattling when accelerating after a turn (replaced it already 2 times, this is 3rd one) and falcon wing door sensor
    4. All this back and forth takes time (hours)
      1. Tesla says that if I don't give them an answer quick they will have to reschedule my appointment for a time when I'm ready to repair it
A freind of mine has the Tesla extended warranty and the process is waay smoother. Telsa warranty costs a little bit more, but its worth to do that for a quick process and less headache and waste of time and money. I will definitely go with tesla's ESL, I don't recommend getting Xcelerate coverage.
Glad to hear that all of your previous service issues were successfully covered by your XCare warranty for the last 3 years. It is never our intent to cause such an inconvenience for you or any of our members, in fact we make sure to make the process easier and more simplistic when we iterate.
There are times when we do need to know cause of failure to determine the failure is not related to physical damage or corrosion. We have actually simplified our processed to make the process easier for you, Tesla and XCare together. A nice feature of Tesla service is their ability to communicate via the app. We have used this many of times to verify the cause of failure in a simple and generalized A,B,C format that is needed to verify claims eligibility. And it has greatly reduced the need for redundant back/ forth communication and have also had great feedback from Tesla around this type of simplification. Since the 3 multiple choice options are highly generalized, it doesn't even require any "breakdown" for Tesla to determine, and we almost always get cause of failure immediately once requested.

Please feel free to reach us anytime if you have questions or need assistance with any future claims [email protected]

I bought the Xcelerate coverage, back in 2021. So far I had 6 claims with them. The firs 5 where pretty smooth and straight forward, but my last claim was a night mare - I believe its all because they implemented this new extra steps with cause of failure and all this.
In my experience tesla service doesn't want to communicate with xcelerate and I understand them, who want's to waste extra time if they can just deal with their customer. So all communication has to go through me. Now instead of going on my tasks for the day I have to be the messenger between them 2.

1. tesla says if you want that then you have to approve at least 1 h labor for them to inspect the items and update the invoice
      2. ask xcelerate that - they say I have to approve it since I will have to pay it if the item is not coverred
    3. I came with known tesla's design failure of halfshaft rattling when accelerating after a turn (replaced it already 2 times, this is 3rd one) and falcon wing door sensor
      1. Tesla says that if I don't give them an answer quick they will have to reschedule my appointment for a time when I'm ready to repair it
A freind of mine has the Tesla extended warranty and the process is waay smoother. Telsa warranty costs a little bit more, but its worth to do that for a quick process and less headache and waste of time and money. I will definitely go with tesla's ESL, I don't recommend getting Xcelerate coverage.

After this posting I got a call from Libby, she tried to help push through this claim. At this point I already went with the remaining tesla ESL coverage as they have a seamless process of covering it.

From our discussion I understood that this "cause of failure" step/requirement was added to avoid bad actors taking advantage of the coverage. While I understand why this is implemented, it adds more friction and back and forth time for me, as a customer.

Will see how future claims go.

I just went through my very first claims process with XCare, and it was SUPER frustrating. The most frustrating part is the back and forth, the lack of information on the process, and the different information I was provided by nearly every person I had talked to. While I understand the communication limits that Tesla will have with a 3rd party warranty company, I don't understand XCare's 6-hour approval process (once everything has been submitted and the back and forth is over), lack of communication during the process (I had to call to get the claim approved), and the requirement for the cause of failure information from Tesla.

What good does knowing the cause of failure of something like a charge port do for XCare? The only reason I can come up with is that future revisions to their warranty policy could exclude certain items that have a high-failure rate. And then there's the question as to why Tesla would even want to provide the reasons for failure, couldn't that information be advantageous to a potential competitor?

I can confirm (at least at the location I took my car to) that Tesla WILL NOT willingly provide cause of failure information, nor will they work with a 3rd party warranty company. It took a couple of phone calls to the Tesla service desk, and ultimately "gifting" the service guy something when I went there, to get him to respond via the app so I could screenshot it and send it to XCare.

It was only after I had accepted Tesla's estimate via the Tesla App (which in turn starts the repair process) and asking via the Tesla App's Chat feature that someone at the service desk was nice enough to provide the cause of failure. Tesla (understandably) doesn't have the space or time to to have your car sit on their lot or occupying a garage bay for an undetermined amount of time while a 3rd party warranty company approves your warranty claim. They are busy, have other customers at their counters waiting, and need to keep moving.

In the end, I think it still may be worth it at this point, but the XCare claims process needs to be more streamlined and they need to adjust to the ways that Tesla does business. If the claims process, payment process and communication were improved, it would be much better.

Interesting - to add 2 years and 25k miles coverage directly from Tesla for my 22 S Plaid, it’s $3100. This isn’t much more expensive than 3rd party warranties, and it starts at the end of the regular warranty period, not right now. Seems like a lot easier to deal with - anyone have any comments on using the Tesla ESA?

I just went through my very first claims process with XCare, and it was SUPER frustrating. The most frustrating part is the back and forth, the lack of information on the process, and the different information I was provided by nearly every person I had talked to. While I understand the communication limits that Tesla will have with a 3rd party warranty company, I don't understand XCare's 6-hour approval process (once everything has been submitted and the back and forth is over), lack of communication during the process (I had to call to get the claim approved), and the requirement for the cause of failure information from Tesla.

What good does knowing the cause of failure of something like a charge port do for XCare? The only reason I can come up with is that future revisions to their warranty policy could exclude certain items that have a high-failure rate. And then there's the question as to why Tesla would even want to provide the reasons for failure, couldn't that information be advantageous to a potential competitor?

I can confirm (at least at the location I took my car to) that Tesla WILL NOT willingly provide cause of failure information, nor will they work with a 3rd party warranty company. It took a couple of phone calls to the Tesla service desk, and ultimately "gifting" the service guy something when I went there, to get him to respond via the app so I could screenshot it and send it to XCare.

It was only after I had accepted Tesla's estimate via the Tesla App (which in turn starts the repair process) and asking via the Tesla App's Chat feature that someone at the service desk was nice enough to provide the cause of failure. Tesla (understandably) doesn't have the space or time to to have your car sit on their lot or occupying a garage bay for an undetermined amount of time while a 3rd party warranty company approves your warranty claim. They are busy, have other customers at their counters waiting, and need to keep moving.

In the end, I think it still may be worth it at this point, but the XCare claims process needs to be more streamlined and they need to adjust to the ways that Tesla does business. If the claims process, payment process and communication were improved, it would be much better.
Hey @J Williams - Thanks for taking the time to chat today. I appreciate all of your points and feedback, this helps us get better. Some service centers are different than others (even though they are all Tesla). We will attempt to reach out to your local service center to help them understand how we are trying to help customers for the future.
Due to the claim being >$5k there were significantly greater line items on the service estimate to be reviewed which posed some delay. So your next claim should be a quicker turnaround.Since we are all former Tesla, we try to create a process to make it as easy on Tesla service and the customer as possible, but sometimes you may deal with an individual that doesn't like to reciprocate. This is why reaching out to our customer excellence team if you feel like you need assistance, we are always here. ([email protected] or me [email protected]).