Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why you should skip the powered frunk and grab a Satonic soft close frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any issues with the compatibility of the soft close and Frunk LED rope lights? I saw that the lights dont work with the Hanshow frunk opener.
Rope lights work fine with all auto frunks. The issue is the ground wire must go to chassis, not the ground wire of the frunk light. These kits come in a plug and play format which grounds them to the frunk light/emergency opener which works fine without a power frunk. If you have a plug and play leds rope light and power frunk kit, just cut the ground wire in the supplied harness and ground it to any chassis bolt.

I'm still amazed that I can upload a 5gb file in 30seconds and YouTube and encode multiple versions of it in minutes. Video overview and general install walkthrough even though the kit was already installed.

Thanks for the video. Very helpful in understanding on how the mechanism works on it. If the latch were to get stuck in the down positioning while sucking the hood down, do you think you could still open the hood? That is my biggest concern about what happens if the unit fails?

I looked at the other version on AE (also sold at Tlyard, etc). Its design doesn't use its own latching mechanism to pull the hood down. Instead you attach a cable to the existing latch (pic attached with highlighted connection point) which then the motor will pull down the hood to close it fully. To me it appears that if the motor unit were to fail, the OE latch should operate as normal.
Futhrope 2.jpg

Does anyone have any thoughts between the two designs?

Thanks for the video. Very helpful in understanding on how the mechanism works on it. If the latch were to get stuck in the down positioning while sucking the hood down, do you think you could still open the hood? That is my biggest concern about what happens if the unit fails?

I looked at the other version on AE (also sold at Tlyard, etc). Its design doesn't use its own latching mechanism to pull the hood down. Instead you attach a cable to the existing latch (pic attached with highlighted connection point) which then the motor will pull down the hood to close it fully. To me it appears that if the motor unit were to fail, the OE latch should operate as normal.
View attachment 1005363

Does anyone have any thoughts between the two designs?

i was debating between the satonic version and futhope version. i ended up getting the futhope version because it auto locks after 90 seconds if you don't lift up the frunk hood. so if you accidentally open your frunk it locks itself. it's also a more simpler design. the weight of the hood near close will push down on the latch trigger to tell the unit to pull to close. i did ask the vendor that sold the satonic version and they did not have the auto lock feature. i see now on satonic's website that there's a V2 version that has a 60 second automatic close and emergency release cable. i'm not sure what it releases. maybe the mechanism that pulls down closed and may get stuck. so it looks like there's 3 versions selling right now. satonic v1, satonic v2 and futhope

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick_TX
i was debating between the satonic version and futhope version. i ended up getting the futhope version because it auto locks after 90 seconds if you don't lift up the frunk hood. so if you accidentally open your frunk it locks itself. it's also a more simpler design. the weight of the hood near close will push down on the latch trigger to tell the unit to pull to close. i did ask the vendor that sold the satonic version and they did not have the auto lock feature.

I saw some of the auto locking options but decided against it. Kinda wanted to avoid auto anything after all my power frunk issues. Not too worried about forgetting to close the hood since the car will scream at me if it's open and I try to drive away.

Reactions: KevinT3141
i was debating between the satonic version and futhope version. i ended up getting the futhope version because it auto locks after 90 seconds if you don't lift up the frunk hood. so if you accidentally open your frunk it locks itself. it's also a more simpler design. the weight of the hood near close will push down on the latch trigger to tell the unit to pull to close. i did ask the vendor that sold the satonic version and they did not have the auto lock feature. i see now on satonic's website that there's a V2 version that has a 60 second automatic close and emergency release cable. i'm not sure what it releases. maybe the mechanism that pulls down closed and may get stuck. so it looks like there's 3 versions selling right now. satonic v1, satonic v2 and futhope
Interesting. The v2 version looks like it uses a different latch design than v1. Actually the v2 latching piece looks to be a similar design as the Futhrope except the v2 motor is mounted separately on its own bracket. And I’m pretty sure the v2 is the same one that Hansshow is selling but looks like they took down the pic of the actual part from their site.

It uses the OEM latch for locking and unlocking. If it fails, only the soft close feature fails. That’s why I like prefer this to a complete powered frunk which replaces the OEM latch

For what it's worth, the Hansshow power frunk we installed on our Model Y back in August also uses the OEM latch, and just hooks a cable to its spring to provide soft close. The only sketchy thing about it was mounting the controller and suck-it-down motor with zip ties. It also came with large double-sided tape squares, which was a mystery to me as there's not enough flat surfaces on the kit or car to use it to solidly mount anything. In hindsight though, I should have still used the tape under the controller and motor to deal with vibrational shear forces that will no doubt wear out the zip ties over time. With the foam tape taking those loads, then ideally the zip ties only have to provide compression and should last longer. I may go back in and redo that next summer when its warm again.

My wife's a visiting nurse, fetching her kit and supplies from the frunk ten to twenty times a day as she makes her rounds, and so far (knock on wood) its been working flawlessly. The components and wiring harness didn't match the instructions; Hansshow's clearly been upping their game over time as the lessons got learned. The minimal (and out-of-date) instructions were disappointing, yes, but watching a few different YouTube how-to's first gave me everything I needed to know to handle the specific configuration of both our kit and the car.

Reactions: audiohs
For what it's worth, the Hansshow power frunk we installed on our Model Y back in August also uses the OEM latch, and just hooks a cable to its spring to provide soft close. The only sketchy thing about it was mounting the controller and suck-it-down motor with zip ties. It also came with large double-sided tape squares, which was a mystery to me as there's not enough flat surfaces on the kit or car to use it to solidly mount anything. In hindsight though, I should have still used the tape under the controller and motor to deal with vibrational shear forces that will no doubt wear out the zip ties over time. With the foam tape taking those loads, then ideally the zip ties only have to provide compression and should last longer. I may go back in and redo that next summer when its warm again.

My wife's a visiting nurse, fetching her kit and supplies from the frunk ten to twenty times a day as she makes her rounds, and so far (knock on wood) its been working flawlessly. The components and wiring harness didn't match the instructions; Hansshow's clearly been upping their game over time as the lessons got learned. The minimal (and out-of-date) instructions were disappointing, yes, but watching a few different YouTube how-to's first gave me everything I needed to know to handle the specific configuration of both our kit and the car.
I didn't think of Hansshow suction close kit is probably using the same latching mechanism from their power frunk kit just without the struts and control module, etc. That would make a lot of sense. Looking at the Satonic v2, the latching mechanism does look a lot like the Hansshow power frunk kit which uses a cable hooked onto the OE spring/latch which is also similar to the Futhrope.

So in summary based on what I can tell:
- it appears the Satonic v2, Hansshow and Futhrope are all very similar design in the way they operate using a cable hook onto the OE spring/latch
- Satonic v1 attaches another latching mechanism to suck the hood down but v1 seems to be discontinued on their website but looks still available on AE

Reactions: KevinT3141
I have the Hansshow Power Frunk in my 2023 MYP, which Ive never had an issue with. Ive had it installed for over a year now. That being said, I did have a garage that specializes in installing Tesla mods install it. They do tons of them in the CT area. I know a lot of people state that if the frunk fails, you cant get in. I dont find this to be true.

I lost power to my vehicle just a week ago, where the low voltage battery drained out due to my own negligence fiddling around with another mod. I popped the little front bumper spot off releasing the two power and ground wires which when connected to something as small as a battery, pops the frunk 100% open, including the "powered frunk". I then was able to use a jump pack to recharge the battery and Im fine ever since. By no way was the powered frunk the issue with my power loss. It was a separate mod which I tossed from doing immediately.

With all that above, I do feel this soft close is the answer. Id opp for it now if I hadnt already gotten the powered frunk.

I have the Hansshow Power Frunk in my 2023 MYP, which Ive never had an issue with. Ive had it installed for over a year now. That being said, I did have a garage that specializes in installing Tesla mods install it. They do tons of them in the CT area. I know a lot of people state that if the frunk fails, you cant get in. I dont find this to be true.

I lost power to my vehicle just a week ago, where the low voltage battery drained out due to my own negligence fiddling around with another mod. I popped the little front bumper spot off releasing the two power and ground wires which when connected to something as small as a battery, pops the frunk 100% open, including the "powered frunk". I then was able to use a jump pack to recharge the battery and Im fine ever since. By no way was the powered frunk the issue with my power loss. It was a separate mod which I tossed from doing immediately.

With all that above, I do feel this soft close is the answer. Id opp for it now if I hadnt already gotten the powered frunk.

I loved the powered frunk on my X...when it worked. Hopefully your install is problem free! Tesla really should have made this standard from the factory. Now that the CT is out, maybe we'll see it trickle down in the future.

I didn't think of Hansshow suction close kit is probably using the same latching mechanism from their power frunk kit just without the struts and control module, etc. That would make a lot of sense. Looking at the Satonic v2, the latching mechanism does look a lot like the Hansshow power frunk kit which uses a cable hooked onto the OE spring/latch which is also similar to the Futhrope.

So in summary based on what I can tell:
- it appears the Satonic v2, Hansshow and Futhrope are all very similar design in the way they operate using a cable hook onto the OE spring/latch
- Satonic v1 attaches another latching mechanism to suck the hood down but v1 seems to be discontinued on their website but looks still available on AE

I don't know what V1 or V2 is and the vendors don't do a good job describing or showing photos.

I don't know what V1 or V2 is and the vendors don't do a good job describing or showing photos.
Satonic seems to do pretty good to me: Model 3 & Y Frunk Soft Closing Motor
1704389753922.png

V1 Key Features:

1. Automatic Frunk Closing: Enjoy the luxury of having your Tesla frunk close automatically with our Auto Frunk Closer. No more fumbling with manual closures; simply put down the frunk, and our device takes care of the rest, seamlessly and efficiently.
  2. Hands-Free Convenience: Experience a new level of convenience as you no longer need to close the frunk by hand. Our Auto Frunk Closer streamlines the process, allowing you to focus on what matters – your driving experience.
  3. Waterproof Design: Engineered with a waterproof design, our Auto Frunk Closer is built to withstand various weather conditions, providing durability and reliability. Drive with confidence, knowing your frunk is secure regardless of the elements.
  4. Easy Installation: Installing our Auto Frunk Closer is a breeze. With a user-friendly design, you can effortlessly set up the device and start enjoying the benefits immediately. No need for complex installations or professional assistance.
  5. Tailored for Tesla Model 3 & Y: Our Auto Frunk Closer is specifically designed to seamlessly integrate with Tesla Model 3 and Y vehicles, ensuring a perfect fit and optimal performance.

1704389734234.png

V2 Key Features:

1. Auto Frunk Closure: Enjoy the luxury of hands-free convenience as the SATONIC V2 effortlessly closes your Tesla frunk with precision. No more struggling with manual closing – just let our advanced technology do the work for you.

2. Anti-Finger Design: Say goodbye to unsightly fingerprints on your Tesla's frunk. Our anti-finger design ensures a clean and polished appearance, maintaining the sleek look of your vehicle at all times.

3. 60-seconds automatically close: SATONIC V2 frunk closer has 60-seconds automatically closing function, If you open Tesla frunk through APP or screen after it was locked, V2 frunk closer will close it automatically after 60 seconds.

4. Waterproof Control Box: Drive worry-free in any weather condition. The SATONIC V2 features a waterproof control box, protecting the internal components from moisture and ensuring reliable performance, rain or shine.

5. Built-in Emergency Cable: We prioritize your safety. In the rare event of a power failure or malfunction, the SATONIC V2 comes equipped with a built-in emergency cable. Rest easy knowing you can manually open your frunk and access your belongings when needed.

6. Damage-Free Shipping for 1 Year: We stand by the durability of our product. Enjoy free shipping on damaged parts for the first year after your purchase, ensuring that your SATONIC V2 remains in pristine condition.

7. 2-Year Warranty: Your satisfaction is our priority. The SATONIC V2 comes with a comprehensive 2-year warranty, providing you with peace of mind and confidence in the reliability of our product.

8. Easy Installation: No need for complex installations or professional assistance. The SATONIC V2 is designed for easy installation, allowing you to upgrade your Tesla frunk with minimal effort.