Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does autosteer say not available all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving with autosteer and I change Lanes and try to reengage and it has a fit saying its unavailable. Finally it works. Same if I stop take a turn and try to use again. Is this normal. Happens with cruise too but not as much.

I'm driving with autosteer and I change Lanes and try to reengage and it has a fit saying its unavailable. Finally it works. Same if I stop take a turn and try to use again. Is this normal. Happens with cruise too but not as much.
I had occassional warning Take control while on autopilot and disengages, re-engages and works fine....maybe hicupps....arggg

No it does this multiple times per drive and works fine afterward but flicking the button 20 times to get it to work is annoying.

I can assure you that it working is not the result of you flicking the drive stalk 20 times.

How long does it take for the gray Autosteer icon to show back up after a lane change without touching the drive stalk?

It’s also worth noting that you can’t enable Autosteer beyond a certain steering wheel angle. The car must be traveling mostly straight in order to engage.

Yes I meant to come back and say that it appears whoever said about the grey steering wheel was right. I had no issue yesterday when I waited for the grey steering wheel.

I will say that while it's nice, it's in no way ready for primetime. Self driving is quite a ways away when it's losing control going over brick inlays in our road in the development. It also needs to be able to turn fully which hopefully is just limited by software.

My guess is the car is using the cams to do both and while writing to the USB either freezes for a little bit because of write speed, or while disengaging it's writing to the USB and cannot multitask. Thats just me throwing a dart, not sure if that's what's happening.

My guess is, this OP is trying to simulate using it like it is Nav on autopilot (as in trying to engage it just after changing lanes, or even at the tail end of changing lanes while there is still hand torque on the wheel).

Since "waiting until the grey steering wheel appears" makes it work for OP, that means OP is trying to engage it too fast after changing lanes.

Reactions: Big Earl
Yes I meant to come back and say that it appears whoever said about the grey steering wheel was right. I had no issue yesterday when I waited for the grey steering wheel.

I will say that while it's nice, it's in no way ready for primetime. Self driving is quite a ways away when it's losing control going over brick inlays in our road in the development. It also needs to be able to turn fully which hopefully is just limited by software.
Auto Lane Change helps in that regard.