Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel liner clips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I had a flat tire I took this picture. Am I missing clips on each side of the rear shock?

Makes me want to remove the other wheels and check too. Will Tesla sell me the clips or can I just but then from a parts store?

My car must have been put together on Friday evening...
IMG_20190119_140702.jpg

There is an older thread on this (Rear Wheel Well Liner). Bottom line I don’t think there is a definitive answer as some have gotten them from Tesla and others have been told that they stopped putting them in because they were deemed unneeded. For me, I would worry about whether the liner is appropriately set in the well or not. Mine was not and it was replaced and is now fine but still don’t have every hole filled.

Tesla quit installing the clips a few months ago. The word is that they aren't needed (maybe it's the "over engineering" the Sandy Munro talks about). I was missing 3 on each side for the rear wheel wells. I found some that worked perfectly in this assorted package from Amazon for $8. Unfortunately the sizes aren't listed on the packaging, so I am not sure which size I used. Easy to put in and it looks much better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BMVZ8R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

817h-2PqjTL._SL1500_.jpg

I have many missing and kept forgetting to bring it up at two service appointments for other things. 15K miles and no issues with the liners, so I agree with the "not needed" hypothesis.

Still plan on pointing it out next time I see Tesla but they are probably not mission critical.

Tesla quit installing the clips a few months ago. The word is that they aren't needed (maybe it's the "over engineering" the Sandy Munro talks about). I was missing 3 on each side for the rear wheel wells. I found some that worked perfectly in this assorted package from Amazon for $8. Unfortunately the sizes aren't listed on the packaging, so I am not sure which size I used. Easy to put in and it looks much better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BMVZ8R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 373921
Thanks, I can understand they may not be needed to keep the liners in place, but I once experiences a blowout where an SUV getting into the carpool lane ran over then kicked some sharp road debris into my car's sidewall and blew out my tire which smacked the wheel liners. The result was just a new tire and popping the liners back into place, but I do think extra clips could be real useful in the even of a tire blowout.

I should probably buy that pack of clips you have, then always seem to eventually break or fall out anyways.

View attachment 373921

Long story short.. you don't want to use a cheap clip like that amazon one if you ever plan on removing it.

The other day I decided to install mudflaps which required taking out those clips. I put on the mudflap and realized I had to take it off and then realized the head of the clips were so low quality they broke with me trying to take it off. Then I spent a hell of a lot of time tryiing to get the middle part of the plastic out without the head of the clip. For both clips....... I then realized that this wouldn't work anyway since I plan on removing the mudflaps in the summer. I dont want to spend that time removing these cheap clips.. I also realized that the ones that come with the care are actually pretty good quality. So now I'm trying to find good quality versions of the clips that will work with the mudflaps.

Thanks, I can understand they may not be needed to keep the liners in place, but I once experiences a blowout where an SUV getting into the carpool lane ran over then kicked some sharp road debris into my car's sidewall and blew out my tire which smacked the wheel liners. The result was just a new tire and popping the liners back into place, but I do think extra clips could be real useful in the even of a tire blowout.

I should probably buy that pack of clips you have, then always seem to eventually break or fall out anyways.

Did you end up buying those clips?