Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm down 31% on my non-TSLA holdings so far. I started diversifying in 2020 while I was going through a divorce. It was a really bad move to sell off TSLA to buy small portions of a 150 other companies, that I knew very little about.

I bought based on what Motley Fool, Cathie Wood, Ron Barron, Loop Ventures, and Gerber Kawasaki were buying. Unfortunately a little to much ARK Invest. Teladoc was one of my largest holdings just based on it being ARK's second highest conviction stock. Zoom, CRISPR, and Roku were also in my top ten. I'm down over 70% on at least 30 of my stock picks. I'm going to need Teladoc to go up 470%, from here, just to break even on that stock.

I wonder if there are some obvious companies, that are down big right now, to roll my losers into in hopes of breaking even someday fairly soon (five years maybe). Spotify? Not Tesla, because I don't want to be 100% in one stock. Or should I just leave everything alone and hope there turns out to be enough 10 or 100 baggers in there to make up for the losers? I'm curious what some of you might do if you were in my situation. Or if you are in a similar situation, how are you handling it?

I'm down 31% on my non-TSLA holdings so far. I started diversifying in 2020 while I was going through a divorce. It was a really bad move to sell off TSLA to buy small portions of a 150 other companies, that I knew very little about.

I bought based on what Motley Fool, Cathie Wood, Ron Barron, Loop Ventures, and Gerber Kawasaki were buying. Unfortunately a little to much ARK Invest. Teladoc was one of my largest holdings just based on it being ARK's second highest conviction stock. Zoom, CRISPR, and Roku were also in my top ten. I'm down over 70% on at least 30 of my stock picks. I'm going to need Teladoc to go up 470%, from here, just to break even on that stock.

I wonder if there are some obvious companies, that are down big right now, to roll my losers into in hopes of breaking even someday fairly soon (five years maybe). Spotify? Not Tesla, because I don't want to be 100% in one stock. Or should I just leave everything alone and hope there turns out to be enough 10 or 100 baggers in there to make up for the losers? I'm curious what some of you might do if you were in my situation. Or if you are in a similar situation, how are you handling it?

Sorry to hear about your personal situation, hope things get better and don't know what you're going through right now.

I think diversifying makes sense (did so myself) even if Tesla is one of those once in a life-time type of investments. The world is also in this transition to a sustainable future, so there's a lot of opportunity and volatility.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Or if you are in a similar situation, how are you handling it?
There are a lot of people in the same kind of boat (an underwater one, a submarine at this point :)) My poor boat has left me in a very different situation than where I was 7 months ago. It definitely sucks. I wanted to sell in November but thought I'd hold off until the end of the year for tax reasons... well that was a huge mistake in hindsight, a short term decision which I'm always bad at in the stock market.

Take a look to the long term and remember stocks go up more than they go down, they go down quicker and it feels awful when that happens. It has happened, many times, look at the past history and notice that all those sudden dips now look like golden opportunities.

Go live your life and take a break from thinking about the $$$. In a few months things may all be very different again.

A lot of my positions are in bad shape too.

There is a lot of uncertainty right now between the war, inflation, supply chain problems, potential economic issues from the war, the pandemic, etc. In times of uncertainty a lot of the larger investment companies pull back from speculative, future looking companies and invest in tried and true companies, as well as other investments outside the stock market.

The companies that went public before the crunch already made most of the money they were going to out of the market. the bulk of the stock trades are between people or investment companies that are holding the stock. In other words those companies have cash from going public and are subsisting on that while trying to become profitable.

Some are still going to fail which always happens with young companies, even in good times. Maybe a few more marginal companies are going to fail than they would in good times, but other companies are going to come out of this and do OK.

You may see some stocks go to zero because of this, but the stocks of the companies that survive will bounce back when investors get more optimistic again. Short term I'm a bear, but long term I'm a bull.

In a few years we could see a boom akin to the 90s. Government mandates in Europe are pushing new energy technologies ahead. Even though the US government isn't encouraging it to the degree of the Europeans, it's happening in the US too. On top of that the US has passed one infrastructure bill and if the Democrats win the midterms, a second, more green energy focused bill will get through. Due to the war in Ukraine, defense spending in many countries has gone up sharply, which is pumping money into the defense economies of these countries. Hopefully after this war ends those same countries will do a Marshall Plan to rebuild Ukraine, which will pump money into the economies to build the things needed to rebuild Ukraine.

The US is also re-industrilaizing. I saw someone in an aside on a war interview make the point that the US is industrializing faster now than it did in WW II, but I can't find confirmation. Even if it isn't that big, the pandemic made many countries more wary of depending completely on China to supply critical needs and they are moving to make things either at home or partner with other countries they can trust to be there when things get bad. These new factories will be much more automated than past US factories, which will mean less unskilled labor needed, but there will be a huge demand for technicians to maintain the equipment. And there is going to be huge demand for new automated manufacturing tech.

China is facing a demographic cliff thanks to the one child policy. They have a huge number of people in or approaching retirement age without young replacements. That means the younger workers they do have will be in high demand and will be demanding pay hikes. China is about to price itself out of the market. With mostly automated factories the US will be able to make many things cheaper than China. As Ukraine recovers from the war, they may become the big manufacturing center of the world for a while. They had a low average yearly income before the war, but they have a fairly well educated population. Building factories there to make the world's goods would be a good move. They will then take the route of Japan and Taiwan developing into a tech giant, but in the mid-term they will provide cheap goods to the world.

There is more turmoil ahead, but if the nukes don't fly in the next few months and governments do a few of the reasonable things possible, we could see a huge tech boom happening within 3-5 years. That tide will lift the boats of any new technology stocks that survive the next few years.

I don't like looking at the depressing prices of some of my holdings, but I don't need the money right now, so I'm letting it sit and I'm hoping I'm at least partially right and they come back. Unless a company is showing signs of collapse, it's best to hold on and ride out the storm.

The first and most important question is whether those companies are actually performing worse than you expected or is the market just underappreciating them?

Tesla, for example, had a lower stock price at one point in 2019 than in 2014 despite having made massive progress over that period. Investors who held made big money…eventually. It appears to me the same kind of spring has been compressing again since Jan 2021; massive success, no stock price appreciation.

Investing in disruptive technology is a very long term game. 5 years is short term. Even 10 years is short for some sectors like biotech. And almost by definition, the REALLY good ideas (like mass producing electric cars) are inherently controversial, because anything radical enough to be revolutionary is also almost always misunderstood by most people.

I posted this in the Energy forum since it's more interesting than an investment opportunity. These guys are taking a very sneaky green hydrogen angle to investment. Hydrogen is tertiary at best to the plasma gasification process, but they could ride this to scale if they execute.

Anyone who brings plasma gasification to scale will be well worth the investment. These guys are tiny and private as far as I know, but worth keeping an eye on.

Terraform Industries is not publicly traded but I’m following them for the future. As far as I’m aware, they’re the only company planning for industrial methane synthesis from atmospheric CO2 using the cheap, abundant solar energy of the coming years.

The founder, Casey Handmer is a physicist and engineer who has impressive essays on his blog about renewables, Tesla and SpaceX, and other technology topics and he previously worked as a professor at CalTech and then an engineer at Jet Propulsion Labs before this.

“Terraform Industries is a bet on cheap solar, synthetic hydrocarbon supremacy, and hyperscale.
The overarching goal is to zero out the net transport of carbon from the crust to the atmosphere and oceans as quickly as possible by displacing drilled natural gas production with direct atmospheric processing.
As solar power gets cheaper and oil becomes more scarce, at some point this decade it will be cheaper to extract carbon from the air than to drill mile-deep holes in the crust on the other side of the world.
Synthetic fuels are fully backwards compatible with existing infrastructure and usage modalities.”

I posted this in the Energy forum since it's more interesting than an investment opportunity. These guys are taking a very sneaky green hydrogen angle to investment. Hydrogen is tertiary at best to the plasma gasification process, but they could ride this to scale if they execute.

Anyone who brings plasma gasification to scale will be well worth the investment. These guys are tiny and private as far as I know, but worth keeping an eye on.

Very cool if it works! Lots of potential environmental benefits for this. Could basically start mining landfills for hydrogen and carbon atoms.

The article says their first test plant is supposed to open later this year.

Reactions: UltradoomY
PE of Coin is 13. Currently growing revenue and profit faster than Tesla.
Of course they have no chance of ruling the world but, a PE of 13?
PE now down to 5. Revenue and Gross profit 5xed in 2021. Earnings after hours today. If earnings are good, it will be fascinating to see how the share price reacts. The macros are taking all 'growth' stocks down hard but this one has been punished so bad, I suspect someone knows something the general public doesn't.

PE now down to 5. Revenue and Gross profit 5xed in 2021. Earnings after hours today. If earnings are good, it will be fascinating to see how the share price reacts. The macros are taking all 'growth' stocks down hard but this one has been punished so bad, I suspect someone knows something the general public doesn't.
Earnings estimates were $1.57 and $1.85 the last two quarters, they were both beaten and the last by a lot. Why are both 1Q and 2Q estimates now at $.18 and $.16? Did the company implode in January?