Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if - Model Y SR or Model 3 LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y SR is a very special edition, has all the Premium of the other Model Y and only a smaller battery and RWD,
not like the Model 3 SR+ which has limited Premium without subwoofer, no heated rear seats, and no rear sway bar suspension.

Unless you really have an issue with the lower range and need getting an AWD, and since you are in Southern California and not in Canada or Northern States
I would take the Model Y SR over the Model 3 LR AWD because of the added functionality with the hatchback versus the sedan trunk.

But it depend of your usage, If you plan doing a lot of driving, such as visiting some colder states with fewer Superchargers like Mountana, the Model 3 LR AWD will be preferable.

Last edited:
Reactions: whydontwe
Depends on your needs. If you have a family of 3 or more go Y. In my experience taking care of siblings and cousins the model 3 can sit 3 in the back but you really want to limit it to 2 or 1 as the vehicle gets cramped pretty quickly once you factor in the school bags and ipads. As a single adult who only occasionally drives kids around it isn't that bad and they can always sit shotgun. If you have a smaller family and plan on taking road trips then the 3 will definitely fit your bill. The new long range 3 gets roughly around 300-310miles of real world range (Older 3 AWD LR like mine can only do about 280-295ish) at highway speeds. Enough to get you to the next stop with ease. Also remember to test drive each vehicle and make sure that the driving dynamics are to your liking.

Reactions: whydontwe
Quick answer = YSR

Long answer = YSR (Here's why):
Y is about 10% bigger than the 3 in every dimension
Y has an additional 5" of rear-seat legroom (priceless for kids car seats)
Y sits about 3" higher, has a higher significantly higher roofline and the seats are on 3" boosters (much better view of traffic & surroundings)
Y has a truly flat cargo floor with all seats folded and can hold much larger cargo
Y has an available factory tow hitch
Y has better resale value

Sure the 3LR is going to be faster, handle better, have more range and of course AWD.. but how often are you really using these features? Realistically speaking.. how often are you accelerating from 0-60mph using 100% of the available power? How often do you push your car in a corner so hard that you are reaching the cornering limit and your tires are screeching? How often do you drive more than 200 miles in a single day? How often do you need AWD to make it safely to your destination?

For me, the answer to all these questions is simple.. Pretty much never. Which is why I bought the YSR. I charge daily to 90% and that gives my "short-range" Y around 180+ real-world miles which is easily enough to make it roundtrip to 99% of the destinations I would drive on any given day. That 1% where Im taking a long road trip over 200 miles, I just hit a Supercharger to make it to my final destination like every other Tesla. The only difference the long-range version would make on a trip is stopping less to charge (maybe every 3-4 hours), instead of every 2-3 hours with the short-range. So in reality thats saying what.. that every other month or so.. I'd have to make 1 or 2 less stops to get to my final destination if I had purchased a long-range version instead. Chances are I have to stop and hit the bathroom every 2-3 hours when driving anyways, so the extra range is really a non-factor for my particular usage.

IMO the only thing the 3 really does any better than the Y is outright performance. So if you are the type of person who previously drove or always wanted a sports car then the 3 is probably a better choice. For everything else (especially someone hauling around a family) the Y is going to be a significantly better choice. Even if you were single with no kids.. the Y is still much easier for adults to get into & out, to unload/load cargo, to camp or sleep in, to tow weekend toys like a motorcycle or boat.. and with the popularity of SUV's in America (and hatchbacks in Europe) will end being much more desirable to prospective buyers when it comes time to sell or trade it for another vehicle.

The MY SR is a bit of a unicorn these days. I agree with Ken_Y's speculation that it returns at a later date with the LFP battery but at a higher price. I just don't think it'll be Q4 since Tesla demand is already good through Q4 2021. I think it's late Q1/early Q2 2022 before it emerges. Once supply gets up and running in Texas. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Ken_Y
The MY SR is a bit of a unicorn these days. I agree with Ken_Y's speculation that it returns at a later date with the LFP battery but at a higher price. I just don't think it'll be Q4 since Tesla demand is already good through Q4 2021. I think it's late Q1/early Q2 2022 before it emerges. Once supply gets up and running in Texas. Just my two cents.

Well my thinking is they already test fitted using Model 3 SR+ and it was sold out. So I'm thinking they can easily retrofit to boost sales numbers to make up for lost Model X/S sales.

Well my thinking is they already test fitted using Model 3 SR+ and it was sold out. So I'm thinking they can easily retrofit to boost sales numbers to make up for lost Model X/S sales.
They can (and will, eventually) but for now the existing Model Y production is (presumably) running at capacity. Until they get Germany and Texas facilities up and running to make more Model Ys, I don't see them swapping out higher revenue/margin product (LR and P) for lower revenue/margin product (SR).

Looking at recent sales numbers, Model Y is outselling the Model 3, so there's wiggle room to try the new battery on the Model 3 SR+ there. Not currently an issue with the Model Y.

Reactions: Ken_Y