Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weather and overnight charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PW2s with BuG 2 work just like the original gateway. Differences, apart from the obvious backup capability and reserve, are the firmware versions are different (currently 0.3.11) and the API responses such as grid frequency are posted in different places. Dynamically setting reserve can take an hour or so to stick but since changing to Octopus Agile their API gives you enough time (min 7 hours) of half hour rate changes.

Reactions: mikemillar
I have an issue I cannot seem to get around. Over the three months or so of having our installation (5.7Kw of panels and Powerwall 2) we’ve seen quite a few instances of a couple of sunny days getting over 20kW of generation followed by a days of bad weather which is quite understandable for this time of year in the UK.

Everything works great on the sunny days and we have little or no charging of the Powerwall from the grid. However, for a few days after that the intelligence in the Powerwall/gateway assumes same, does not top up the battery and we end up using expensive daytime electricity from the grid. When our prime time (day) electricity tarrif is treble our cheap (night) tariff it makes quite a difference.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

I can see that a simple manual override to top up the battery in the app would ve good enough (for me) or sonething more soohisticated that looks just a day or two out on weather forecast.

Just in the precess of battery comparison. HAs the gateway 2 solved this forecasting problem or is still around. ?