Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector failed after adjusting amperage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

myuppie

Jul 22, 2023
USA
This morning I seemingly broke my gen3 wall connector by increasing the charge amperage in the app from 20 to 48 amps after I already started charging. The wall connector reports an internal hardware failure even after reset.

I’ve charged at 48 apps for years and recently switched to using a lower amperage overnight.

Waiting on Tesla support to respond but wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

This morning I seemingly broke my gen3 wall connector by increasing the charge amperage in the app from 20 to 48 amps after I already started charging. The wall connector reports an internal hardware failure even after reset.

I’ve charged at 48 apps for years and recently switched to using a lower amperage overnight.

Waiting on Tesla support to respond but wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
Your post leads one to possibly believe that your Gen 3 Wall connector was either self installed or by an unlicensed electrician and not inspected?
Why else would you only be charging at 20 amps? Anyone purchasing their first EV may need to upgrade their electrical panel to support the 48 amp continuous draw in the middle of the night to avoid a fire and burning down the house. Its entirely possible you have a hardware failure but do you have adequate electrical capacity and proper breakers in your house?
The cost of adequate power BTM to support charging an EV is just like adding an option to a previous ICE vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill

I haven’t heard of this before. How old is your wall connector? Are you getting a message in the web app, or an indicator light pattern on the face? Have you tried cycling the breaker to see if anything changes?

I’m very curious how Tesla responds to this.

Your post leads one to possibly believe that your Gen 3 Wall connector was either self installed or by an unlicensed electrician and not inspected?
Why else would you only be charging at 20 amps? Anyone purchasing their first EV may need to upgrade their electrical panel to support the 48 amp continuous draw in the middle of the night to avoid a fire and burning down the house. Its entirely possible you have a hardware failure but do you have adequate electrical capacity and proper breakers in your house?
The cost of adequate power BTM to support charging an EV is just like adding an option to a previous ICE vehicle.

This seems entirely beside the point of the thread. A guy posts about a broken wall connector and gets lectured on charging circuits?

Gen3 Wall Connector purchased and installed by licensed electrician in 2020 on dedicated 60 amp circuit with a 200 amp service line.

The Wall Connector displays a red light after starting to charge and cycling the breaker does not resolve. The error message is displayed in the Wall Connector user interface (after connecting to its WiFi network).

I frequently used the amp adjustment feature after it was added to the Tesla app to curve peak energy pricing. I am curious if the recent UI updates which force you to use the increment/decrement buttons instead of directly selecting the desired power output contributed to the issue.

Reactions: TomB985
I haven’t heard of this before. How old is your wall connector? Are you getting a message in the web app, or an indicator light pattern on the face? Have you tried cycling the breaker to see if anything changes?

I’m very curious how Tesla responds to this.

This seems entirely beside the point of the thread. A guy posts about a broken wall connector and gets lectured on charging circuits?
Post #6 should have been included in post #1

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
The Wall Connector displays a red light after starting to charge and cycling the breaker does not resolve. The error message is displayed in the Wall Connector user interface (after connecting to its WiFi network).

I frequently used the amp adjustment feature after it was added to the Tesla app to curve peak energy pricing. I am curious if the recent UI updates which force you to use the increment/decrement buttons instead of directly selecting the desired power output contributed to the issue.

Very interesting, thanks. I don’t see how the two can have anything to do with each other. I don’t think are any moving parts beyond the open/closed relay that connects the circuit, so the setting shouldn’t be relevant. I’ve never heard of one breaking like this, so I hope Tesla stands behind the product despite being out of warranty.

Post #6 should have been included in post #1
The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.