Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicular ferries AMSA guidelines for carrying EV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

unharmed

Delivered and Lovin it!
DCV Safety Alert 02/2023 – Risks Associated with the Carriage of Battery Electric Vehicles While this is almost a year old, it is something that most of us will not have come across. Basically, they are advising Masters' to be aware of EV fires onboard and what to look for. If in the unlikely event of fire do XYZ. I believe some ferry operators are placing EV's near the ramp IE last on First off. Probably, the thinking is, if it does combust, then they can use the next vehicle to push the vehicle on fire overboard.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
Long term as EVs become normal, they'll need separate compartments or pods that can be partially flooded. Start with the keel, you can flood the lowest level to a limited extent and not lose the ship. Just all the cars on that level. As time goes on, put non-LFP EVs into individual waist-high dumpsters that can be flooded to dissipate the heat.

Not sure how that'd work with hybrids where the battery is in the boot behind the back seat, or buses where the battery is on the roof.

Think it will more become vehicle blankets (not cheap) that can deal with both EVs and ICE cars.

At the first sign of fire you deploy extinguishers then throw the heavy blanket over the vehicle that suffocates it from oxygen.

Example from Colorado of an EV (non-Tesla) and hybrid catching alight in a garage.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst
It's mostly a nothingburger of an announcement.

This is the response from TT-Line (state owned GBE that operates the Spirit of Tasmania ferries) - from Tasmanian state government Hansard:

Ms Armitage - Rosemary Armitage, Independent MLC
Mr Valentine - Rob Valentine, Independent MLC

Mr Ferguson - Michael Ferguson, MP, Minister for Infrastructure (responsible minister for TT-Line)
Mr Grainger - Mike Grainger, Chairman of TT-Line
Mr Dwyer - Bernard Dwyer, CEO of TT-Line

Apologies for the images, it wouldn't copy and paste the text correctly.

1705584903211.png

1705584925992.png

1705584992916.png

1705585064729.png

1705585103793.png

I don't read anywhere that TTLine expects you to charge before boarding... have I missed something?.
It was in the "GOVERNMENT BUSINESS SCRUTINY COMMITTEE B" transcript @Chuq posted earlier (screenshots and direct pdf link)

Mr DWYER -
We do not charge vehicles on the ship. Our policy is that you supercharge or charge your vehicles before you get onto the vessel.
We have provided facilities in Devonport and there are facilities close to Geelong to be able to do that.

I think Mr Dwyer meant that in the context of: you should have charged enough to reach the next destination and/or charging station

Just like petrol cars that come on the ship are expected to have enough fuel to get to the next bowser.

I know in the early-adopter phase there were a few people on this forum hoping to be able to plug in their car while it was on the ship.
May as well get a charge while you're stuck in one place for a few hours, right?
I assume Dwyer's comments are in response to that.

Yeah, my point was there's bugger all available for charging on the Devonport side.
Wouldn't kill them to have something else as an option next to the Tesla chargers.

I think the argument is that charging is the most dangerous time (from this perspective) so make sure you've got enough charge to get off the boat otherwise you'll be getting towed off.

Reactions: Hairyman
Just like petrol cars that come on the ship are expected to have enough fuel to get to the next bowser.
Yes, that's my intepretation. There is no specific requirement to charge before boarding.
@leonk unfortunately that's the reality of operating a non Tesla EV as Non Tesla EV manufacturers do not contribute to charging infrastructure in Australia. It will fall to the Tasmanian Govt to put in some or commercial operators, but given the views of some like Armitage, it might not be a high priority.

But even for Tesla EV, Devonport could do with more than just 3 SC.

Last edited:
In 1956 I took my Triumph Thunderbird across on the old Taroona - loaded on and off in a sling. Instructed to have just enough petrol to get to nearest servo as the bike would be laying on its side. The nearest servo was at George Town which meant backtracking on the proverbial oily rag.

• Informative
Reactions: [Zombie]
Yeah, my point was there's bugger all available for charging on the Devonport side.
Wouldn't kill them to have something else as an option next to the Tesla chargers.
At the moment, TasPorts/TT-Line are building a new Spirit terminal about 200-300m south of the current site. It will include a relocation of the passenger car park and TT-Line have confirmed that the superchargers will be moving to this car park.

It’d probably be worth sending them a question in regards to non-Tesla charging infrastructure. If they aren’t already planning it, they’d probably be receptive to adding something. Firstly, because the cost of the electrical infrastructure is insignificant compared to a port upgrade. Second, because they could build the new ones before they relocate the Tesla supercharger stalls, to avoid any downtime :)