Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think anyone owning a Tesla has more than a 7k tax liability.... Just a guess. :D

Sure... but... :D
Well, it's only the federal tax part of thing, not social security/ medicare. If you're self employed, who knows what net income even ends up being (self employment tax is 15.3%) or taking full depreciation on an X...

An additional edge case: buying multiple Teslas.... One for me, one for wife, one for kid.... $22,500 in liability needed...

You need to have the car delivered (in your possession/ownership) by 12/31.

If you want to guarantee delivery you have three days to place your order. You might be able to wait a little bit longer if you get rear wheel drive though, those still says delivery within four weeks.

Tesla sets deadline on new orders to get delivery and full tax credit by end of the year

Assuming @redy's tax liability is $7k or more.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah my liability is more than 7.5K.

Yeah, I'd order immediately and worst case you pay an extra lease payment or two but you risk losing $3750 otherwise if you don't take delivery until the first quarter of next year.

Its a bit of a wash, either pay the remaining lease payments early to get out and get tax refund or wait till I finish paying lease payments by which time tax credit is no longer available.

Or more importantly goes obsolete sooner. :D

I don't believe this to be AS true as it once was.

Changes from the first Model 3 to the current one is of minimal consequence in relative terms.

Tesla cannot piss off a hundred thousand owners and new owners to the Tesla brand.

Want to see a huge meltdown and TMC crash?

Have Tesla release a HUD on all new Model 3s starting Jan 1st 2019 - and no upgrade path.

There was already a mini meltdown with P-/P+ gate.with respect to Track Mode.

I've never felt safer than now with Tesla ownership and not getting stone-aged on delivery with respect to the Model 3.

Not saying it won't ever change. Though the degree of change and the timing of the change will be far between.

Let's see if my favorite Tesla oracle agrees? - @AnxietyRanger ?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I don't believe this to be AS true as it once was.

Changes from the first Model 3 to the current one is of minimal consequence in relative terms.

Tesla cannot piss off a hundred thousand owners and new owners to the Tesla brand.

Want to see a huge meltdown and TMC crash?

Have Tesla release a HUD on all new Model 3s starting Jan 1st 2019 - and no upgrade path.

There was already a mini meltdown with P-/P+ gate.with respect to Track Mode.

I've never felt safer than now with Tesla ownership and not getting stone-aged on delivery with respect to the Model 3.

Not saying it won't ever change. Though the degree of change and the timing of the change will be far between.

Let's see if my favorite Tesla oracle agrees? - @AnxietyRanger ?

But will Y be better than 3? And what of pick up?
They can't make worse cars...

But will Y be better than 3? And what of pick up?
They can't make worse cars...

Model Y will be likely be built in China. Pickup doesn't make too much sense at the moment for Tesla. Too much battery cells and smaller addressable market.

When I mean the 3 getting 'obsolete' - it can't because of the number of cars out there that would be impacted.

Knowing how Tesla works.. I intentionally deferred my delivery post Q2 conference call. I wanted to know what was changing in the 3 and sure enough AP3 was announced.

Tesla wisely eased fears by saying it was a drop in replacement. Gave me confidence to move forward with delivery and FSD.

When I mean the 3 getting 'obsolete' - it can't because of the number of cars out there that would be impacted.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Tesla can upgrade the car anytime they want. I don't buy this "pissing off current owners", Tesla has never worried about that before. If Tesla came out with a much more amazing car tomorrow for the same price (and the same cost of manufacturing) current owners might be pissed, but the stock wouldn't tank, it would soar.

That said, Tesla is struggling enough to make the current car, and they have a lot more market to fill. Any changes will be to get cost down.

Reactions: Dr. J
Every make and every car (and every product) gets improved over time. You can't hold off making a purchase because future models will be improved.

Why buy a phone this year, next year's models will be better? Why buy in 2019 when 2020 models will be better?

As Tesla's don't have traditional model years, there is no way to know when the next improvement will be. Tesla's makes changes at any time (and can change prices just as quickly).

People have short memories or were not here for AP2 gate.

There were a lot of pissed off people who took delivery of AP1 cars close to when AP2 was released.

Then the AP2 people were pissed off AP2 was inferior to AP1 for a long time. There was even a class action lawsuit which I was a member of outside of my will.

Tons of ‘open letters’ to Elon and open letters against the open letters.

Not only are we dealing with more numbers of cars but new classes of consumers that are far less forgiving than the enthusiasts.

Just because I predict things will go a certain way, doesn’t mean I am not supportive of progress.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
As Tesla's don't have traditional model years, there is no way to know when the next improvement will be. Tesla's makes changes at any time (and can change prices just as quickly).
Indeed. And we've already seen Model 3 improvements/changes (other than software SWAG--stuff we all get):
  • trunk garnish
  • improved front seats
  • improved rear seats
  • diminished coverage, then total removal, of IR coating on rear windshield
  • tuned suspension for less harsh ride
  • something that slightly improved MPGe from 2017 to 2018, per EPA rating
  • increased, then reduced, availability of color choices
  • and most significantly, introduction of dual motor and performance versions
And the price changes (both up and down) came even faster over the past six months.

Indeed. And we've already seen Model 3 improvements/changes (other than software SWAG--stuff we all get):
  • trunk garnish
  • improved front seats
  • improved rear seats
  • diminished coverage, then total removal, of IR coating on rear windshield
  • tuned suspension for less harsh ride
  • something that slightly improved MPGe from 2017 to 2018, per EPA rating
  • increased, then reduced, availability of color choices
  • and most significantly, introduction of dual motor and performance versions
And the price changes (both up and down) came even faster over the past six months.

All of this has nowhere near the outrage of the AP1 -> AP2 transition.

Dual Motor and Performance was telegraphed a long time ago.

If one wanted to be certain of track mode access, they went for 3P+. Same wanted to gamble and risk 3P- and save $5,000. Even though P- and P+ was available for ordering at same time, P- wants the same access.

Tesla at the absolute minimum needs to charge P- $7,500 for an upgrade but should be higher than that to be fair to the P+. After all, P- got an extra sets of wheels, tires and caps that P+ did not get.

So if something like Track Mode which few will use, wait until something comes along that everyone wants to use like a HUD or AP/MCU hardware enhancements.

Last edited: