Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to FSD $4,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, with the shelter in place, and health problems, I haven't driven much. Yesterday couldn't stand it any longer, went to the car, and bam, found 2020.12.5 available. Downloaded and went out for a pleasure drive. Man, what a pleasure. Anybody who doubts how well this automation is headed is missing the bus.

My wife thought I was crazy: "Niki's seeing cones! Cones!" Even on my 2.5 hardware. Yeah, I'd grab those updates unless you're on a short lease and won't keep that car past end 2020.

Last edited:
For whom?

For EAP owners- nothing other than the HW3 upgrade and more visualizations right now. Very shortly there'll be some L2 version of stop sign and stop light actions included... and then reverse summon at least later this year. MAYBE some L2 version of city street driving eventually.

For basic AP owners- all the features of EAP they don't have today (Nav on AP, auto lane change, self-parking, basic and advanced summon, etc...)

I'm not entirely clear what you're asking here.

But pre-march-2019 your options were:

Nothing- $0
EAP- $5000
FSD- $3000
(both of which cost more than that if you bought them after delivery)

Then EAP went away- and they had basic AP which initially was $3000 and FSD was $5000- so still 8k total.

Then shortly after they made basic AP "included" with new cars, but raised the car price $2000.... and FSD became $6000.

Which went up to $7000 after enhanced summon came out.

And is going up to $8000 in a couple months when the stopsign/stoplight stuff rolls out.

(and probably higher still with reverse summon, and eventually city street driving)
That answers it. Thanks.

I'm pretty excited… Less than two weeks after purchasing my car goes in this morning for the HW 3.0 upgrade. Not that it will do anything for me or anything, but it's something tangible for all the cash I just forked over. :)

Thanks for this update. Is the upgrade for the 2019 SR+? That gives me a bit of hope! I had thought since we were one of the last trims released they would de-prioritize updates.

I haven't paid into FSD yet, so my biggest worry is that at some point Tesla ceases to make the upgrade kits. I just hope I'm able to afford it before then.

Thanks for this update. Is the upgrade for the 2019 SR+? That gives me a bit of hope! I had thought since we were one of the last trims released they would de-prioritize updates.

I haven't paid into FSD yet, so my biggest worry is that at some point Tesla ceases to make the upgrade kits. I just hope I'm able to afford it before then.

Yup, mine is a 2019 SR + manufactured 4/1/2019. I wouldn't worry about them ceasing to make the upgrade kits, there is a huge profit margin with the install. Of course the majority of the FSD upgrade fee goes towards software development so that everything to gain by retrofitting older models.

Yup, mine is a 2019 SR + manufactured 4/1/2019. I wouldn't worry about them ceasing to make the upgrade kits, there is a huge profit margin with the install. Of course the majority of the FSD upgrade fee goes towards software development so that everything to gain by retrofitting older models.

I tried to schedule an appt. on the app and my SC basically told me no and to wait until this COVID settles down. I guess they could reach out in the near future when they receive my HW3 upgrade right? It has only been a week since I purchased the FSD.

I tried to schedule an appt. on the app and my SC basically told me no and to wait until this COVID settles down. I guess they could reach out in the near future when they receive my HW3 upgrade right? It has only been a week since I purchased the FSD.

I'm not a patient guy, so I bugged them about it. I texted support a week ago to see if my car was flagged for the HW3 upgrade, and at that point it wasn't. Checked back on Monday, and was told the upgrade was available for my car, at which point I scheduled the appointment through the app.

They just wrapped up an hour ago, headed down now to pick it up.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I'm not a patient guy, so I bugged them about it. I texted support a week ago to see if my car was flagged for the HW3 upgrade, and at that point it wasn't. Checked back on Monday, and was told the upgrade was available for my car, at which point I scheduled the appointment through the app.

They just wrapped up an hour ago, headed down now to pick it up.

Nice! I may reach out to support. Didn't know you could text them. Just thought you had to do that through the website.

I think Traffic Light and Stop Sign Controls actually represent the first real differentiation between EAP and FSD (from what I've read, those with just enhanced autopilot are not receiving this feature). And it's live now: Third Row Tesla Podcast on Twitter

I'm sorely tempted to go ahead and invest the $7,000 to upgrade my car.

Yup, I've read the same. My car hasn't gotten the update yet, but I'm intrigued at the idea. Very strange watching it identify traffic lights and stop signs now.

What's vague about that? Can automatic mean anything else? Whether the public has been given access to it so far is irrelevant....

.....Yes and one on the list is automatic city driving...

... But they are promising automatic city driving....

...I imagine it's going to be what Tesla is promising: automatic city driving.

So, funny story... Tesla is not even promising that anymore

Secretman on Twitter

Now it's just "autosteer" on city streets when you purchase FSD- not automatic driving.

We have autosteer clearly defined elsewhere as "Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control"

So it seems they're lowering expectations even further.

Reactions: afadeev
So, funny story... Tesla is not even promising that anymore

Secretman on Twitter

Now it's just "autosteer" on city streets when you purchase FSD- not automatic driving.

We have autosteer clearly defined elsewhere as "Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control"

So it seems they're lowering expectations even further.

Well, we already have one needed feature for automatic city driving: stop light and stop sign recognition. It's still in the early stages, but it does work. We're on to the next....
I do think they're running up against difficult challenges, but I'm not going to speculate so early as to what exactly autosteer on city streets is going to entail. We'll have to wait and see.
I still see the glass half full.

I still see city streets, specifically turning in areas of heavy population on street corners, buildings to curbs, alleyways, construction barriers, etc as a problem without cameras on the front bumpers looking sideways or some sort of additional sensors. But we’ll see how this all shakes out.

Yep, that's exactly how I did it. Wasn't an SMS with my phone, I don't believe they reply to those unless they solicit a response.

So, I got confirmation from Tesla Customer Support that my car is flagged for FSD. That is the good news. I tried, once again, to schedule an appointment only to be told that they do not have any HW3 in stock at the moment and they are cancelling the appointment.

I asked them to keep checking as I know of people still getting the hardware install. I also asked if they can order the part.

We shall see what happens.

Reactions: TomB985
So, I got confirmation from Tesla Customer Support that my car is flagged for FSD. That is the good news. I tried, once again, to schedule an appointment only to be told that they do not have any HW3 in stock at the moment and they are cancelling the appointment.

I asked them to keep checking as I know of people still getting the hardware install. I also asked if they can order the part.

We shall see what happens.

Well, I asked customer support if they could get the SC to order the part. They will not offer any assistance.

I guess I have to keep asking. I will try again next week.

I'm in the "Me Too" camp here...

I have a March 2019 M3 SR+ that somehow has EAP.

Last summer I got an email from Tesla saying I could upgrade to FSD for $3k, but when I clicked the link it brought me to my account page which listed FSD at $6k (no mention of EAP). So I've had this nagging fear that the next SW update would take away EAP...

Now I see the $4K FSD upgrade on the app, AND more importantly the online account shows the same.

Based on the experiences of Skunis & TomB985 I'm inclined to take the leap and upgrade, even though I don't expect much in the way of additional functionality in the near term. At least I'll get HW3 and (hopefully) dispel the nagging concern of someday losing functionality...

I'm in the "Me Too" camp here...

I have a March 2019 M3 SR+ that somehow has EAP.

Last summer I got an email from Tesla saying I could upgrade to FSD for $3k, but when I clicked the link it brought me to my account page which listed FSD at $6k (no mention of EAP). So I've had this nagging fear that the next SW update would take away EAP...

Now I see the $4K FSD upgrade on the app, AND more importantly the online account shows the same.

Based on the experiences of Skunis & TomB985 I'm inclined to take the leap and upgrade, even though I don't expect much in the way of additional functionality in the near term. At least I'll get HW3 and (hopefully) dispel the nagging concern of someday losing functionality...

If you "somehow have EAP" and that "somehow" does not include paying for it with a receipt of payment, then its highly likely you will lose it at some point during an audit. If I was in your shoes, I would definitely purchase the upgrade if it shows up in there, for 4k or whatever, IF losing EAP is going to "bother you".

it "might not" happen, but there have been others who have come complaining to these boards about "tesla took away my XXX" and in most cases when the meat of the matter comes to light, its " the car had it when I bought it and now its gone", but they never paid for it.

Yup, that nagging concern was one of the reasons I pulled the trigger.

it "might not" happen, but there have been others who have come complaining to these boards about "tesla took away my XXX" and in most cases when the meat of the matter comes to light, its " the car had it when I bought it and now its gone", but they never paid for it.

This forum and others are littered with people having these features removed once Tesla becomes wise to the error. I'm happy with my decision to upgrade. We just started getting features that set FSD apart from EAP with stoplight detection. I have it disabled because I don't want to be limited to the speed limit, but it will only get better with time. I haven't noticed a meaningful difference in autopilot behavior, but I expect that will change as code is written to take advantage of the increased processing power.

$4000 is a lot of money, but the increased retail value at the back end helped justify the purchase for me. FSD sells with the rest of the car, so it's worth more to a potential buyer.

Yup, that nagging concern was one of the reasons I pulled the trigger.
$4000 is a lot of money, but the increased retail value at the back end helped justify the purchase for me. FSD sells with the rest of the car, so it's worth more to a potential buyer.

Before you posted your comment I was going to say the same. In this case the cost isn't $4, well it is upfront, but there is added back end value as you've stated. Value in new hardware, value in having FSD, and value in a more desirable / less common configuration.

Reactions: TomB985