Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade Black Side Cameras for Chrome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some black cameras on my Tesla Model 3 that i would like to trade for OEM Chrome side cameras. I see a-lot of people wanting to black out the chrome. Hoping someone who's looking to do that could go this route and save some time and money. No damage. Cameras look and function like new. I'll cover shipping. Fresno California.

Attachments

• IMG_4159.jpeg
    IMG_4159.jpeg
    766.7 KB · Views: 205
Just get new covers from tesla or from junk 2018/19 cameras. They are held on by double stick acrylic tape. I moved my covers 2019 to my 2022 black camera when I upgraded to get rid of the light leaks

I should add that a heat gun and a plastic tool to pry plus abbout 10 mins of time is all that’s needed to remove the cover
Oh wow, thank you. Do you think that it’s a cover over the existing chrome? I assume that this is the way that it came. I did just buy the car though and fairly new to Teslas. If that’s the case, they did a really good job because I couldn’t tell that it was any kind of cover. appreciate the advice!

Just get new covers from tesla or from junk 2018/19 cameras. They are held on by double stick acrylic tape. I moved my covers 2019 to my 2022 black camera when I upgraded to get rid of the light leaks
That would be great if it’s just a cover. When I remove them or if I can remove them is the Tesla logo embeded into the chrome behind it? Mine is 2019 Standard Model 3. Absolutely love the car!

It looks like the cameras on my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard are OEM Black. If someone has some Chrome OEM Side Cameras and wants to trade for these OEM Black that would be great. I see the part number on the lights also. See pics. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4232.jpeg
    IMG_4232.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 72
Trade? Those cameras are considered by tesla to be a “one use “ item. The plastic is very brittle and unless care is taken, the spring tabs break or the video connector breaks. New is about 150 each. Used for a good one is about 90 each for the right PN. None of the chrome ones will have the new design to prevent light leakage. You need a newer one ( two PNs) work and transfer or buy new the chrome covers. The OEM covers are metal. Most aftermarket are chrome ABS plastic

Trade? Those cameras are considered by tesla to be a “one use “ item. The plastic is very brittle and unless care is taken, the spring tabs break or the video connector breaks. New is about 150 each. Used for a good one is about 90 each for the right PN. None of the chrome ones will have the new design to prevent light leakage. You need a newer one ( two PNs) work and transfer or buy new the chrome covers. The OEM covers are metal. Most aftermarket are chrome ABS plastic
Ok, I'll look into that. Thank you

The chrome is a thin metal cover that sticks on with double-sided tape, even on the early Model 3s like mine made in March of 2018. I found that out when I took apart my side cameras to seal up the light leak that bleeds into the camera view from the turn signal. I should say "broke them apart" instead of took them apart to open them, but they glued together just fine afterwards with epoxy 😆. Since one of my original chrome covers was mangled and I didn't want to reuse the other one, I just bought a new set of chrome covers directly from Tesla. They were $10 each. Just make a service appointment on the Tesla app under Something Else and request part numbers:
SIDE REPEATER TRIM - CHROME AERO RIB, RH (1514878-01-C)
SIDE REPEATER TRIM - CHROME AERO RIB, LH (1514877-01-C)

Covers are east to replace.

I had both of my 2020 chrome cameras with T logo replaced under warranty due to the repeater glare at night issue.

Tease only stocks the place ones now.

When they showed up they brought two two cameras with black covers. They also brought the cover covers without Tesla logo.

They asked which one I wanted on my chrome car. Tough choice but I went with original chrome. They took off the the black covers, cleaned residual glue, and put the chrome on.

Covers can be replaced by.owner easy. Cover parts are dirt cheap.

Besides if you did swap with someone else they might have the glare issue.

Interesting that your replacements had black covers. I bought my replacements off eBay from two different salvage yards and while black, neither had a black cover. Just smooth black plastic with bit of rolled edge. My old chrome covers fit perfectly on them