Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torque, Horsepower, and speed, A technical discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't disagree with anything you said here (aside from removing the "usually") but I am not sure how it applies to my comment. HP = (Torque x RPM)/5252 so you can easily calculate HP given a torque curve. Yes, you want to shift in such a way that maximizes your use of HP... I just said gears aren't magic meaning that you won't accelerate just as hard in 5th gear as you would in first gear even if you are at near your peak HP rpm in both instances because your mechanical advantage from gearing is much less in 5th.

It was simply a clarification as your post could be read as trying to keep an engine around torque peak. But keeping an engine around peak HP is what nets the fastest acceleration.

Since this appears to be a serious question, I will take a stab at it even though I dont care at all about the discussion at hand.

"Falls on its face" isnt much different than someone looking at a bunch of models and saying "that one though? They are uuuuggglly!". "Falls on its face" implies the car stops, which it clearly doesnt do. Its a term that seems ment to denigrate, and it seems to be purposefully so.

"Doesnt pull as hard as XXX / YYY" is whats actually happening, but "falls on its face" is a term designed to instigate an argument, either accidently, or accidently on purpose, and it doesnt have anything to do with insulting inanimate objects, it has to do with going out of the way with hyperbole to make a point.

I think for those who have driven ICE performance vehicles, it is noticeable that the acceleration does not drop off the same way the M3 and many other EVs do. That was my first thought when I drove the M3P… after 75mph, I had to make sure the throttle was fully floored because it felt a bit anemic.

So while it is quite subjective and the expression is a tad dramatic, I would use the same phrase for any vehicle displaying similar acceleration characteristics. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s one of my favorite vehicles and the initial acceleration is mind bending. I would compare using this expression to other commonly used hyperbole used to describe widely accepted opinions. Eg. The model s plaid accelerates like a freight train.

No offense intended towards anyone with anemia or injuries sustained from falling on their face.

Reactions: Sellout