Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

thoughts on leaving mobile connector outdoors 24/7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i live in a very rainy and humid environment

i park outdoors and i run my mobile connector from an outdoor plug covered to my vehicle. now my question is rather then unplugging when i leave and rolling it up over and over. would i be okay just unplugging it and hanging it on my bush with it exposed to water. or will the water ruin it?

just to clear up any confusion i'm talking specifically about the plug in part that goes into the car. if that part gets water in it am i good? or do i need to buy something to protect it if i leave it exposed outdoors

The plug itself and the car charging port are water resistant, when connected. But over time water will cause deterioration of the metal contacts in the charging plug and charging port. Any moisture when charging is likely to be heated up and possibly boil when 32A are passing through the moisture. Boiling droplets of water on electronic connectors will cause a problem.

The other issue you may run into is insects getting into the connections. They won't do well either with 32A passing through their bodies and ultimately hurting those shiny connections.