Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Smallest Rock Can Bring You Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returning from Mendocino to S.F. Bay Area, and near the beginning of Hwy 128, road re-pavement was happening on opposite side (north). Tire pressure dropped from 42 to 37psi and warning happened, this was not my first time, other nails and screws I have had 3 prior, but never affected my trip or day plan. At 25psi 15min later I took this picture and called Tesla Road Service from Filo (lucky to have 1 ATT bar there). Second warning happens @23psi RED in cluster FYI. But filled up with my electric pump and options were given, best of which were tire shops in Cloverdale. "Cloverdale Automotive & Tires" (not plugging them) nailed it (un-nailed actually), by plugging w/o need for jacking the car (10min it took, manager said it's roadside service, no charge, I left $20 his staff member who let me take pics). Moral of the story, carry a 12v pump, and expect micro-objects can bring even your SUV sized 20" tire to it's knees. :oops:
IMG_5007.JPG IMG_5005.JPG IMG_5003.JPG

I had a tire destroyed last week by a knife blade. It was a blade for a construction used to cut carpet and such. Some nice contractor dropped it on the road and it stuck in my tire. Peeled back 1/2 inch of tread. Amazing no leak. But made a heck of a racket.

Roadside assistant tried to find a mobile service with a spare tire to swap, but could not. So I had to wait an hour for a tow to the service center. The Dublin SC put on the new tire in an hour or so.

Wow! You convinced me. Where did you purchase your pump from?

I have been kind of leery of driving up to Mendocino because of the appearance of lack of chargers. Where did you charge there? I would like to take a trip up there myself.

Thanks for your report.

Yes, that's the way to go. For now, I just have the AIR HAWK pro (AHP-MC6/2). Don't get anything w/o a real-time pressure display.

After much research, I really liked the Tesla solution (and opted for that) - including the gel used. And all in a compact form factor. Haven't needed/used it yet, but I feel "covered"! :)

Same for the paint repair kit - I bought that as well.... and a HPWC, and, and, and..... :eek:

Skip the ChaDeMo charger (IMHO), $450 is outrageous. @$5 a "fill up," that thing will cost you 90 "fill ups" - just to have the privilege of using one of those chargers. I'm waiting for the CCS US adapter. Will cost something under a $100 and will give you access to the much higher charging levels of CCS, Like those offered by Electrify America. These super chargers are popping up all over here in my area - even in Walmart parking lots!

My car got its first flat this past weekend. I'm glad things worked out for you. Its interesting that you had some many tire flats. Are you using run flats also and do you thing they are more prone to failure?

I keep a the following in my car all of which came in handy.
1) Jack/Air Pump/Impact wrench
2) Slime Tire repair Kit
3) Jack Pad

Ahhhh, yes, don't forget the jack pads! I purchased these highly machined billet aluminum ones for less than $35.

Best Jack pads ?