Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Texas Legislature Kills Direct Sales Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s efforts for direct sales in Texas were killed Monday by the state legislature.

The automaker had pushed legislation in March that would have allowed vehicles to be sold directly to buyers, rather than through a franchised dealership.

“Once again, the legislature failed to act on Texans’ demands for 21st century car-buying options, meaning the state will continue to fall behind and lose out on valuable economic development opportunities,” the company said in a statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ampster
That's not how the Sherman Act works. There's also a fairly compelling argument that the practice of forcing a local middleman into the value chain through legislation is, in itself, an anti-competitive practice designed to put regulation on interstate commerce.
So how does DELL get to sell computers directly to the consumer??
Guess retailers that sell electronics for got to lobby (campaign donations/bribes?) the legislature.
Or perhaps computer stores could have gotten a monopoly on selling computers if they had just followed the car dealers lead. I suspect US cell phone companies failed to get cell phone monopolies simply because there was/is an international market. WTO will try to fix that.

Last edited:
So how does DELL get to sell computers directly to the consumer??
Guess retailers that sell electronics for got to lobby (campaign donations/bribes?) the legislature.
Or perhaps computer stores could have gotten a monopoly on selling computers if they had just followed the car dealers lead. I suspect US cell phone companies failed to get cell phone monopolies simply because there was/is an international market. WTO will try to fix that.

Settle down there hero. If you re-read my post more carefully you will notice that I was making an argument against the practice of forcing a dealership model. You seem to be in violent agreement with my point.

• Funny
Reactions: kelly
Settle down there hero. If you re-read my post more carefully you will notice that I was making an argument against the practice of forcing a dealership model. You seem to be in violent agreement with my point.
oops, Sorry. I do agree with you GWord.

Perhaps not violently as I leave that task to US State Department, Pentagon and CIA. I should also mention US cops who manage to shoot and kill about 100 people per month - far more than any other terrorist organization. oops, messing up again. Some research on cops killing people around the world and the US is definitely still number one.