Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X is not charging above 84%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one I do know the answer to, and I picked up on it because of this:

I noticed you used the word "typical" here, which indicates the European software. Tesla did something very confusing in changing the meaning of the same word in two different regional markets. In North America, they have the word "ideal" for the really high one, and "rated" for the low one. In the European market, which I think it what you vehicle is from, they used the words "rated" for the really high one and "typical" for the low one. So that gets incredibly confusing when people are talking on this forum from different markets, where the Americans are thinking of "rated" miles or kilometers as the fairly realistic, achievable, lower number, but Europeans are thinking of "rated" as the purely optimistic too high number.

This comes from the fact that the U.S. uses efficiency ratings from the EPA, which are maybe just a little high, but close to most people's normal driving. Europe's ratings come from the NEDC, which has some kind of different testing procedure that comes up with numbers that are pure fantasy that no one takes seriously. So that is how they were "rated", but it shows range numbers that are unrealistic.

That is generally it, but the terminology is different. What you're talking about as "ideal" in USA is what they would call "rated" over in Europe.
But as to the stopping at 84% kind of issue, I still can't think of an idea on that part.

Thanks Rocky_H for explanation. One question is clear. I have check with Tesla EU site - they does really quote 542km max range that is very close to what I had 547km in the very first charge in August 2018.

So as for now, I have only 459km at 84%SoC when charging is stopped for some reasons thats really gives me slightly more then 200km of real world driving distance.

Are you really in Vladivostok? What "nationality" is the car? Bought from USA, Europe? Is there a Russian version? Russia power is 220 V 50 Hz, right? Is the 50 vs 60 Hz (USA) possibly confusing the charger?

My guess is you need a deep reset. This link shows four ways to reset the car. How to reboot your Tesla if something is going wrong . Try

"Sit in driver’s seat. In park with all doors closed.
Menu, service, power off.
Wait about 60 seconds for the interior lights to go out.
Wait 30 seconds more to be safe.
Press brake pedal.
Wait about 30 seconds whilst everything boots up (you may see odd error messages for a few seconds).
Done.

Note: this doesn’t reset any other saved locations on the GPS etc, to do that requires a ‘reset to factory settings’ which isn’t advisable unless explicitly requested by Tesla."

I have also heard to do "menu, service off", then exit the car (so no weight on drivers seat) and close doors for at least two minutes. The enter the car, press brake, etc.

Good luck.

I have EU model and charger for 220V 50Hz. Thats could not be the problem.

I'm really in Vladivostok so, I guess, this is the Tesla's world record for the biggest distance to Authorized Service Center. Tesla should give me a prize. In my case it is 10373 km for Stockholm. Who can beat it?

I have tried several reboots, today I will make the most deep one, will inform on the results. Thanks anyway!

Thanks Rocky_H for explanation. One question is clear. I have check with Tesla EU site - they does really quote 542km max range that is very close to what I had 547km in the very first charge in August 2018.
Sure. I was just bringing that up so that people would be aware of this if they see range quoted and what context it's in. If they see it on an American site saying "rated", just be aware that it's the other kind of measurement than the EU use of the word "rated".

Thank, everybody! Afters reading this thread, I decided to change password on Tesla.com so that no programs like TeslaFU or TeslaFI can wake up the car. It does help! Car had charged today for 100%. Thanks!

But now I have another problem returning. Now, after I park my car - she fall asleep, and to a very deep sleep, so deep sleep, that Mobile access is canceled and I could not reach car from TeslaApp. When I’m driving TeslaApp is working fine, when I exit and lock the car, TeslaApp loose connection with car after about 20-30-45 minutes after locking. When I open the car with FOB TeslaApp immediately regains connection with car. I used solve this connection problem five month ago with TeslaFU app that constantly pings my car and receive data from the car. That keeps the car awake, and I could access car with TeslaApp anytime. But alway awake cause the problem with battery calibration, as far as I understand.

Can you offer any solution that allows constant mobile access from TeslaApp and do not confuse battery calibration?

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl
Thank, everybody! Afters reading this thread, I decided to change password on Tesla.com so that no programs like TeslaFU or TeslaFI can wake up the car. It does help! Car had charged today for 100%. Thanks!

But now I have another problem returning. Now, after I park my car - she fall asleep, and to a very deep sleep, so deep sleep, that Mobile access is canceled and I could not reach car from TeslaApp. When I’m driving TeslaApp is working fine, when I exit and lock the car, TeslaApp loose connection with car after about 20-30-45 minutes after locking. When I open the car with FOB TeslaApp immediately regains connection with car. I used solve this connection problem five month ago with TeslaFU app that constantly pings my car and receive data from the car. That keeps the car awake, and I could access car with TeslaApp anytime. But alway awake cause the problem with battery calibration, as far as I understand.

Can you offer any solution that allows constant mobile access from TeslaApp and do not confuse battery calibration?

Check to see what your energy savings modes are set to. You probably want to turn on "always connected."

More info: "Always Connected" option now gone from V9?

I also think you need to discharge to your battery more fully and then have it try to charge up to 90% or if you want the battery to start balancing itself charge up to 95% (I read somewhere that when you charge above 92% this activates battery balancing -- not sure if it is true.)

as far as a service center, I wonder if the car can be shipped to shanghai or tokyo for convenience sake. I would look into this if you find that you need to visit the service center.

Okay, so I looked into this with an Engineering friend and she said to check your Latitude reading.

If your charging station is at or near the Arctic Circle you could be experiencing a negative gravity charging cycle.

She described this as being similar to when a cruise ship crosses the Equator and all of the bathroom commodes start circulating the flush in a counter-clockwise direction.

It is rumored at the poles that the magnetism can cause the electron flow to go to counter-clockwise resulting in it taking more Kwh to charge than increases the SOC.

She called this a negative charge paradigm.

I am sure that if you write to #Tesla about this paradigm phenomenon they will turn it over to a service engineer who knows her/his stuff a little better.