Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar vs ....[third party competitors]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These days, newer Powerwalls have the ability to start a good-sized AC unit even with just one of them. Earlier versions didn't have this surge capability.

This is about 88A of LRA per Powerwall, minus any other loads using power at the time. The best way to measure this is with a high-quality Fluke or other multimeter, using the peak/inrush function to measure how hard the AC pulls on startup.

As to the comment about what do you get for your extra money? You get customer service and questions answered. I know there are multiple installers and industry people here, but why no Tesla Energy rep? $$$ and that person would get flooded with customer service questions.

Instead, people thinking of Tesla panels come here for answers, and that works great for some people as long as the information is available and those with it will share. Many people here have gone to Tesla with help from these forums using revised plans and basically, tell Tesla "No that's not what I want. Do it like this"

Eventually, the customer can usually get your way, but in the meantime, your project may be delayed. You may have to call Tesla several times to speak to a new person to get updates.
has something changed on the PWs to support higher output

The firmware has been updated for compatible units to support 88 LRA per unit.

Do you know which firmware version included this update or how to check if the 88 LRA support is applied to a specific Powerwall unit? It seems people don't know what was in the recent releases; and I'm not sure how to confirm the peak burst output between all these different Powerwall 2 revisions that have been installed over the years.

So, what are the specs? Is there a document with the changes? How does one know if out PW's support this? Is there the serial number thing we talked about in the past?
You should discuss these questions with your installer. I am not to give out this specific information about your Powerwalls, it's not my place to.

There is a specific list of part numbers that are part of the "Powerwall 2.1" If you remove the plastic cover, you can see the label which likely will say Powerwall 2.1.

What I am told is that after November of last year, this changeover was made. If your Powerwalls were manufactured before that time, they may not be capable of 88 LRA

Can you share where you found output increasing to 10 kW continuous? This seems incorrect by a factor of 2.

That sounds more like the 9.6kW continuous output spec specifically for the Powerwall+ when off grid and with full sun. So output of the solar and battery components combined. 9600W / 240V = 40A which matches the 50A breaker required for the Powerwall+.
1640740935574.png

My TESLA panels are by q cells and have 25 year warranty

Utah Consumer here, as of yesterday, have a 12.75 kWh system and 2 x Powerwall + installed...with very good customer service from the tech crews (Powerwall team and solar panel team).

I decided to go Tesla after the a local company bid a sightly smaller system with 1/2 the battery capacity at +$10,000. I will admit, with all the negative feedback and my own experiences, I was thinking should I follow through or bail up the the install day. As of this moment, i am Very Happy I stayed the course with Tesla....check back in 5 years...I hope my answer will remain the same.

As for getting from Sign up to contract to Design to install:
- Tesla handled 5 or so re-designs in a fairly painless manner....but I had to accept that you don't talk to engineering, so my well formed questions were captured by the advisor and taken back to engineering. Once or twice, they seemed to be IMing engineering while I was on the phone for some simple answers...which I appreciated. In the end, if i did a great job describing my redesign request, it came back as I asked. A few times, I did a poor job or I didn't add specific directions resulting in another redesign. Usually they got my redesigns done in 1 week. I always had to call to find out, they never prompted me that a redesign was done, and the advisor had to move the documents into my customer facing files.

They seemed to work well with the County for a permit, a call from me to the county did seem to prompt them communicating to clear up an outstanding question.

All the advisors were well trained, and polite....a few seemed to know more than others....but they were not engineers and didn't try to be.

INSTALL DAY(s)(2) were GREAT! Both the Panel Install Crew and the Electrician (powerwall) crews were very respectful, patient, answered all my questions and did superb work. I asked for a change in conduit and they accommodated it cheerfully. By day 2, I was up and running.

YMMV....good luck fellow travelers.
I’m in St George. Looking for solar quotes. Was it Legacy Roofing or a different company?