Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he's Norwegian also.

On various forums, Ivind3331 has been told over and over again what he is doing will not be allowed by Tesla. From the referral offer:

In good faith Tesla introduces programs like this in good faith and expect action in good faith back. Please note that we can withhold credits, rebates and other rewards if we believe customers acting in bad faith, or otherwise opposes the purpose of the program. We can not cover every single scenario and would rather not try it, but we promise to be reasonable and fair.

Not only won't he win, I suspect he won't receive any credits either.

I'm new to the forum because I've been thinking about buying a Model S. I'm probably going to do it (85%+ right now). The referral discount pushes me further along. But I really like the idea of getting one from somebody local in Southern California that I can tap for info if necessary. Anyone willing? Thanks.

Promo714

I am not from Socal but if you want to use mine here it is: Understand if you specifically want someone from SoCal.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

August 6, 2015

Various states have laws that were enacted to prevent rogue car salespeople. You can imagine an era when legislators were concerned about stereotypical “car salesmen” trying to sell cars without a license. At Tesla, we sell our cars differently. We don’t use traditional car dealers let alone rogue salespeople. However, our Referral Program has struck a chord with Virginia regulators, who have claimed that aspects of it do not comply with this type of law.

Our Referral Program was never designed to make you a salesperson. Nevertheless, due to the position taken by Virginia regulators, we are making one change to our Referral Program for our customers in Virginia. Now, when someone buys a new Model S through your referral link, the $1,000 credit that you were to receive in your Tesla account will instead go to the person receiving the referral. That person will now get $2,000 (instead of $1,000) off the purchase price. The program otherwise remains as described in Elon’s email to you.

Our apologies for this change.

The Tesla Team

No more free $1k in VA.

No more free $1k in VA.

This, I fear, is another example of Tesla making a quick decision without fully thinking things through.

The correct thing to do is just take away the $1000 from the referrer, as Virginia seems to be requiring. Tesla may think that by redistributing that $1000 to the person buying the car they are doing the right thing. But in reality what they are doing is insuring that many people purchasing cars will look for people in Virginia to refer them, as they will get an extra $1000 off from a Virginia referral link. So this winds up hurting everyone else attempting to get referrals.

I'm not playing the referral game, so I don't really care about this. I'm just pointing out that I think Tesla is making a mistake, and what the correct change of course should be.

If Tesla sticks to this plan, expect to see a lot of Virginians at the Gigafactory party.

This, I fear, is another example of Tesla making a quick decision without fully thinking things through.

The correct thing to do is just take away the $1000 from the referrer, as Virginia seems to be requiring. Tesla may think that by redistributing that $1000 to the person buying the car they are doing the right thing. But in reality what they are doing is insuring that many people purchasing cars will look for people in Virginia to refer them, as they will get an extra $1000 off from a Virginia referral link. So this winds up hurting everyone else attempting to get referrals.

I'm not playing the referral game, so I don't really care about this. I'm just pointing out that I think Tesla is making a mistake, and what the correct change of course should be.

If Tesla sticks to this plan, expect to see a lot of Virginians at the Gigafactory party.

Maybe tesla will require the buyer to physically live and register in Virginia to address the problem you just described. Then people from other states can't hunt down a VA owner for a referral.

Maybe tesla will require the buyer to physically live and register in Virginia to address the problem you just described. Then people from other states can't hunt down a VA owner for a referral.

VA and neighboring states would be fair. Where I live, there's plenty of people from MD and DC

- - - Updated - - -

VA and neighboring states would be fair. Where I live, there's plenty of people from MD and DC

They're not saying that. At least not yet. They specifically said, "The program otherwise remains as described in Elon’s email to you."

Another negative of this change is for these purchases Tesla goes from giving $1000 cash off and $1000 Tesla credit to giving $2000 cash off. The $1000 Tesla credit clearly cost Tesla less than $1000, whereas the extra $1000 off is $1000 off the purchase price of a car that --WAS-- being purchased, so that's a pure cash loss.

I wonder if other states will follow suit and press that Tesla can't do this...

I think they would have to have laws on the books to prevent it, as apparently Virginia already did. Someone had posted something about birddog laws, or something like that. I don't recall what state that was. I imagine any states that have laws like that could present problems.

Edit: I found the post. It turns out it was Virginia.

Model S referral program - Page 18

How does Tesla get around anti-bird dogging laws, like VA Code Section 46.2-1537:

§ 46.2-1537. Prohibited solicitation and compensation

§ 46.2-1537. Prohibited solicitation and compensation.
It shall be unlawful for any motor vehicle dealer or salesperson licensed under this chapter, directly or indirectly, to solicit the sale of a motor vehicle through a pecuniarily interested person, or to pay, or cause to be paid, any commission or compensation in any form whatsoever to any person in connection with the sale of a motor vehicle, unless the person is duly licensed as a salesperson employed by the dealer. It shall also be unlawful for any motor vehicle dealer to compensate, in any form whatsoever, any person acting in the capacity of a salesperson as defined in § 46.2-1500 unless that person is licensed as required by this chapter.

TrueCar, for instance, has been fighting this:

TrueCar’s Troubles Could Change The Way We Shop For Cars: Back To The Past - The Truth About Cars

Last edited:
I'm new to the forum because I've been thinking about buying a Model S. I'm probably going to do it (85%+ right now). The referral discount pushes me further along. But I really like the idea of getting one from somebody local in Southern California that I can tap for info if necessary. Anyone willing? Thanks.

Not my link but my friend who lives in Orange right next to Yorba Linda (where I grew up!).

August 6, 2015

Various states have laws that were enacted to prevent rogue car salespeople. You can imagine an era when legislators were concerned about stereotypical “car salesmen” trying to sell cars without a license. At Tesla, we sell our cars differently. We don’t use traditional car dealers let alone rogue salespeople. However, our Referral Program has struck a chord with Virginia regulators, who have claimed that aspects of it do not comply with this type of law.

Our Referral Program was never designed to make you a salesperson. Nevertheless, due to the position taken by Virginia regulators, we are making one change to our Referral Program for our customers in Virginia. Now, when someone buys a new Model S through your referral link, the $1,000 credit that you were to receive in your Tesla account will instead go to the person receiving the referral. That person will now get $2,000 (instead of $1,000) off the purchase price. The program otherwise remains as described in Elon’s email to you.

Our apologies for this change.

The Tesla Team

No more free $1k in VA.

No more free $1k in VA.

And as I posted in the other thread where you posted this info, I fear this is another example of Tesla making a quick decision without fully thinking things through.

This is also a negative for Tesla because for these purchases Tesla goes from giving $1000 cash off and $1000 Tesla credit to giving $2000 cash off. The $1000 Tesla credit clearly cost Tesla less than $1000, whereas the extra $1000 off is $1000 off the purchase price of a car that --WAS-- being purchased, so that's a pure cash loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.