Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Powerwall distance from main panel.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd question.. I am planning on putting a 15+kw solar array on my metal garage (where my new 600 amp 3 phase Service Entrance with the meter is) and my house is a 330' run away. The house has a single phase 200 amp subpanel. Can I put the powerwall in the house garage on the same wall as the panel that feeds the house, or will I need to put it near the utility meter service entrance? Took forever to get approval to do the 3 phase power upgrade that I need for my metal garage, and since the powerwall is for the house anyway, I didnt see the logic in putting it that far from the house..

Basic layout drawing:

IMG_4341.jpg

Odd question.. I am planning on putting a 15+kw solar array on my metal garage (where my new 600 amp 3 phase Service Entrance with the meter is) and my house is a 330' run away. The house has a single phase 200 amp subpanel. Can I put the powerwall in the house garage on the same wall as the panel that feeds the house, or will I need to put it near the utility meter service entrance? Took forever to get approval to do the 3 phase power upgrade that I need for my metal garage, and since the powerwall is for the house anyway, I didnt see the logic in putting it that far from the house..

Basic layout drawing:

View attachment 548439

Wow... 3phase in a residential installation in the US...

Cool...

you might want to check with the Aussies... I believe that PW2 is only Single Phase, so you might need a different battery for each phase...

sound like you have a separate service entrance of single phase 240v for the house, or you will just have 120v for the house. assuming your 3 phase is 120v to neutral. or perhaps your 3 phase is 460v to neutral and you will have a transformer off one of the legs to make 240v for the house... what your asking is missing details, details mater.

you will probably want to but a solar generation panel in the garage for the solar panel inverters to connect to and then run the 240v to the house generation panel. gateway will be next to the service entrance/main panel in the house, with the powerwalls close by.
you will need to run cat5 to the garage if you have not already done so. i would suggest running a small backed up sub panel from the house so that you could at least have lights if the power goes out.

4 wire Delta 240v service is what I am having installed. Running just two legs and the neutral (not the wild leg) to the house for 240v from the metal garage/service entrance panel. Was planning on installing the solar on the metal garage so that I never have to worry about removing the panels to replace shingles on the house down the road (plus there is a large amount of unblocked south facing roof). Yes, I already have cat5 already run to the house panel as that is where my ISP connection is anyway.

sound like you have a separate service entrance of single phase 240v for the house, or you will just have 120v for the house. assuming your 3 phase is 120v to neutral. or perhaps your 3 phase is 460v to neutral and you will have a transformer off one of the legs to make 240v for the house... what your asking is missing details, details mater.

you will probably want to but a solar generation panel in the garage for the solar panel inverters to connect to and then run the 240v to the house generation panel. gateway will be next to the service entrance/main panel in the house, with the powerwalls close by.
you will need to run cat5 to the garage if you have not already done so. i would suggest running a small backed up sub panel from the house so that you could at least have lights if the power goes out.

Yeah, I wanted 3 phase to run some of my "hobby" Haas CNC machines and it just happened to be on the utility pole behind my property anyway. Lucked out there. I only want to back up the single phase house loads anyway, the shop will be just fine without backup power.

Wow... 3phase in a residential installation in the US...

Cool...

you might want to check with the Aussies... I believe that PW2 is only Single Phase, so you might need a different battery for each phase...

can you run 240v single phase loads on this? Intended for only 120v loads. Leg A and B are 120 degrees apart, not 180 degrees. Talk to a engineer, not an electrician.
B17651C9-C5D4-42C4-8D05-513B77632405.png
I had to look it up, image attached.
Solar on shop, where do you want inverters? I think code will force you to put solar/generation disconnect adjacent to service entrance. Which will force you to run generation to the shop and back to the house if you have to have the GW and power walls installed there.
Did you say you have cat6 to the shop?

Last edited:
The configuration of the 3-phase power is not the problem since the house will look like traditional 120/240 split phase. If you insist on installing the solar on the garage, the only viable way to do the installation will be to put the Gateway and Powewalls in the garage and back up the entire house. This will probably require 3 or 4 Powerwalls, depending on the actual loads on the 200A house branch.

Tesla told me the Powerwalls need to be within 10' of the meter (or something like that). Don't know why.

Certainly not the case in my installation (done by Tesla, not a 3rd party). My 3 PW2s are a solid 30 ft direct distance from the meter, and because the conduit is behind the walls and runs through the ceiling, electrical distance is probably 50-60 ft.

OP, If I was planning your installation, I would have a dedicated trench for the rooftop PV and feed that from the GW2 in the house garage. With 330' of separation, the PV is the only thing that could be that far from the rest of the equipment.

I would put PW(s), GW2 in the house garage, or near wherever the feed is coming in from the 600A service to the house loads subpanel. Then run the long length from a dedicated 100A PV Generation subpanel from the shop to the main house and land in the GW2. With a 330' run you will need to upsize the PV subfeed to avoid voltage drop. This assumes you have the ability to install a new subfeed from home to the shop, which is probably a ton of work if you arent in the middle of your build, unless you have an open conduit you can use.

Tesla likes to make things simple and easy, but there is no reason the PW2 need to be near the service, though they can be.

We have a customer with 800A split phase service that we just expanded his first 6 Powerwall system which is 1100' away from his msp. We are planning another GW2 and another 6 Powerwalls. This new 6 PW system is attached to the service bunker and new 20 kW ground mount PV is about 80' from the service.

As far as the service topography with 240V 3 phase Delta, as long as the legs that you connect to show 120v to neutral, then you are on the correct 2 phases, assuming the service transformer is laid out like @CrazyRabbit shows below. An installer would want to connect only to Phase A and Phase C. Phase B is 208V to neutral, hence the "High/Wild Leg"

When the 240V split phase power is derived from this, the 2 phases are 180 degrees apart as would be expected in a typical split-phase service.

Since the house has a dedicated 200a service feeding it from the main panel on the garage that has the PV array on the same legs feeding the house, it makes sense to me to put the GW2 and PW2's at the house where they will be used. Now to find some Powerwalls since I went ahead and sold mine off last year. haha.