Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Plans to Sell Energy to Texans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has filed an application with the Texas Public Utility Commission to sell electricity to customers.

The application, first reported by Texas Monthly, was submitted by a Tesla subsidiary called Tesla Energy Ventures.

Tesla also intends to build two massive batteries near Austin and Houston. The 100-megawatt storage system would enable Tesla to serve power companies. The company has built several examples of large-scale batteries around the world, including California and Australia.

In those instances, Tesla is assisting the power companies. Its new venture in Texas would sell power directly to consumers. The reliability of the grid in Texas has been of concern since freezing temperatures in February left millions of residents without power or water for days.

Tesla is currently building a factory near Austin. Chief Executive Elon Musk’s other company SpaceX also has operations in the state. 

It’s not clear when Tesla plans to bring the service live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Negative? 🤔

1672000150802.png

How is Tesla Electric Plan working with multiple PW’s?

I only have a Single PW. For me on Tesla Electric Plan. This is what I’ve noticed so far.

At 4-7 I go on PW.
Around 12am-1am I go on PW
Around 7am when the Sun starts to come out. I will stay on PW until I’m producing enough energy to recharge my PW.

How is Tesla Electric Plan working with multiple PW’s?

I only have a Single PW. For me on Tesla Electric Plan. This is what I’ve noticed so far.

At 4-7 I go on PW.
Around 12am-1am I go on PW
Around 7am when the Sun starts to come out. I will stay on PW until I’m producing enough energy to recharge my PW.
This seems like how mine is now working with 2 PWs.

Reactions: Jones1
Seems like I have a case for 2 EV’s. I’m selling back at a negative. I guess. Still no real data. No bill yet. My MYP is charging at the same time. Hopefully I get the CyberTruck in 2024 🙏🏽 I only planned to charge to 80% today. I’m pushing to my personal Max of 90%.

2DD5C4CA-9AC8-4D08-A610-EADA5BF25025.jpeg
70C705AE-5C76-41FF-882C-C0BAF8F9F121.jpeg
879776A2-B4E5-4471-8A51-20EE9E027588.png

Just finished first month on Tesla Electric. Received a text and an email stating that my bill was available to view in the app but unable to find the correct button to click. Anyone had better luck viewing their billing statement?
That’s how it started out for me. For the first 2 & a half months. I didn’t pay a cent. Then I was finally able to pay.

I got this email from Tesla this month. I forgot about it. Until I saw Tesla advertising. Buy a Model 3. Enroll in Tesla Electric plan and get unlimited charging. So if you are a current Tesla Electric Customer. Or own a Powerwall already. You will have to wait. To get the unlimited charging at night plan

1685299167008.png

Reactions: phsoccer
I received in my Tesla 2022 M3 app an invite to the $25/month unlimited Tesla vehicle charging at night. So I changed my electricity plan (Centerpoint retail provider here in Texas) to Tesla's electric plan. I'm waiting for my wife's MY to get the invite now. This will save me $ for charging since I charge 100% home for both Teslas.

I received in my Tesla 2022 M3 app an invite to the $25/month unlimited Tesla vehicle charging at night. So I changed my electricity plan (Centerpoint retail provider here in Texas) to Tesla's electric plan. I'm waiting for my wife's MY to get the invite now. This will save me $ for charging since I charge 100% home for both Teslas
Congratulations 🍾🎈🎊
Do you have a Tesla Powerwall or Tesla Solar ?

Congratulations 🍾🎈🎊
Do you have a Tesla Powerwall or Tesla Solar ?
No solar or power wall. I'm looking into getting power walls for now, but I might wait for the version 3 power walls. Can you still join Tesla's electric virtual power plant and sell back electricity with just only power walls (two minimum needed.) Tesla will sell you up to three power walls, but you would get a bigger discount if you get Tesla solar with it. Tesla is getting out of the installing solar panels/tiles business, they will just sell the equipment to 3rd party installers now.

No solar or power wall. I'm looking into getting power walls for now, but I might wait for the version 3 power walls. Can you still join Tesla's electric virtual power plant and sell back electricity with just only power walls (two minimum needed.) Tesla will sell you up to three power walls, but you would get a bigger discount if you get Tesla solar with it. Tesla is getting out of the installing solar panels/tiles business, they will just sell the equipment to 3rd party installers now.
Yes. I believe you can be in the VPP with PW’s only. Tesla is still installing Solar and PW’s. It depends on the area you live in. I got an estimate recently to add PW’s. I had an option to buy and get them installed by Tesla. Or to just buy them and have them delivered. I see Tesla Energy installation vans 3 or 4 times a week in my area.