Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners, Let's Talk: Touchscreen vs. Physical Buttons - What's Your Take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shall we discuss

Shall we discuss engine oil change intervals or whether to use regular or premium gasoline instead? ;)

This thread is no different than:

"Hello Tesla enthusiasts! How do you choose to purchase your Tesla? Do you pay cash? How about Take out a loan? Perhaps you chose to lease? Lets discuss the pros and cons of each option!"

jjrandorin

As inconsequential as this thread appears to you, it does bring out and highlight some user interface shortcomings and preferences. As you know, if there is enough pushback in certain areas Tesla has on occasion listened to the owners.

I think most would agree there is always room for improvement in UI and this thread is one way of bringing these preferences to light.

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210
Hey Tesla enthusiasts! We all love the sleek touchscreen of our Teslas, but do you ever miss the good old physical buttons? You know, the kind that gives you that satisfying click feedback. Sometimes, while I'm driving, I find myself longing for the simplicity of a button I can press without taking my eyes off the road.

What about you guys? When you're cruising in your Tesla, do you prefer the high-tech vibe of the touchscreen, or do you sometimes wish for the tactile feel of physical buttons? And what if there was something that could strike the perfect balance between the two?

I'm excited to hear your thoughts and experiences on this! Maybe together we can figure out what makes the ultimate driving experience.

This one-hit-wonder post looks like it was written by ChatGPT or some advertising exec. Lots of question marks and exclamation points.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Voice commands are fine but also have drawbacks. There is a whole list of voice command disadvantages and drawbacks up thread.

As to physical buttons, even Tesla realizes their importance or they would have not included them on the wheel\yoke and a few other places throughout the car.
If you mean the post near the top of page 3, that hasn't been my experience. WADR that sounded like someone who just doesn't like change to begin with - and I know there's a large population of people like that.

I'm good with most of the AUTO functions, and IME the Tesla voice commands are broader and more conversational than Honda (very restrictive), Subaru (didn't even understand voices 90% of the time) and Hyundai (worked fine, but you had to learn to use very specific words). It may help that I was using voice commands for years before I got a Tesla, and remember how inferior they were. I've been more than satisfied with Teslas voice commands so far...YMMV

If you mean the post near the top of page 3, that hasn't been my experience. WADR that sounded like someone who just doesn't like change to begin with - and I know there's a large population of people like that.

I'm good with most of the AUTO functions, and IME the Tesla voice commands are broader and more conversational than Honda (very restrictive), Subaru (didn't even understand voices 90% of the time) and Hyundai (worked fine, but you had to learn to use very specific words). It may help that I was using voice commands for years before I got a Tesla, and remember how inferior they were. I've been more than satisfied with Teslas voice commands so far...YMMV
If I didn't like change I wouldn't have purchased a Tesla. I challenge you to disprove any of the drawbacks I highlighted. They may well be better than other automakers' (I have no experience to compare so I can't say) but they still have significant drawbacks.

I use voice commands for many things in my Tesla but I value reliability over novelty and for certain functions I don't want to mess around or guess whether it will work.

This one-hit-wonder post looks like it was written by ChatGPT or some advertising exec. Lots of question marks and exclamation points.
I asked ChatGPT if it wrote the OP. It said:
1000025321.jpg

Can ChatGPT lie?

If I didn't like change I wouldn't have purchased a Tesla. I challenge you to disprove any of the drawbacks I highlighted. They may well be better than other automakers' (I have no experience to compare so I can't say) but they still have significant drawbacks.

I use voice commands for many things in my Tesla but I value reliability over novelty and for certain functions I don't want to mess around or guess whether it will work.
Voice works just fine for me where AUTO doesn't, lists are readily available, so we disagree - lighten up Francis...

Reactions: zoomer0056
Voice works just fine for me where AUTO doesn't, lists are readily available, so we disagree - lighten up Francis...
Every list is simply a compilation of commands that someone has put together. There's no official list from Tesla and thus no guarantee of completeness or accuracy.

It's fine that voice commands work for you (what do you mean by 'where AUTO' doesn't?) but that's not the point. The fact that they don't work in so many other situations means they can only supplement and are not a substitute for a good UI. not sure why that's so difficult to understand or why people feel so compelled to make excuses for Tesla here.

Reactions: cbdream99