Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Must Be the "Volvo" brand of Autonomous Vehicle Manufacturers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anon2

Of Course I Trust You Will Do The Right Thing
The House has unanimously given a GO to measure which could see fully autonomous vehicles on U.S. roads without restrictions. Obvious regulations on licensing registration will vary state to state but there will be far fewer limits, if any, on the number of driverless cars a manufacturer can produce. Huge win for larger outfits who have been foaming at the bit. Exciting particularly for blind and vision impaired community as it presents the possibility of increased independence. Additional mobility means much improved quality of life. Comes in tandem with President Trump actively
demonstrating support by ensuring the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Obama to protect the blind and other pedestrians from the dangers posed by silent hybrid and electric vehicles,
makes it safer overall for pedestrian traffic.

Where this autonomous vehicle initiative on its way to the Senate is silent? Safety. There is no legislative language ensuring roll out en masse will be both top quality and proven perfectly safe. That's where Tesla can seal its position over the long life of autonomous vehicles industry. I keep saying it. Safety first. Drivers passengers must be as confident that whatever model, sedan or truck, they drive performs exceptionally well. Especially in emergency life threatening situations. Crashes, flash floods, evacuations, mob crowds (breeding grounds for domestic terrorist situations), unexpected road closures, hazmat spills, environmental incidents, etc etc etc. Tesla, as a newer less larger car manufacturer, making the investment now, can ensure it will stand apart as the safest mainstay brand in driverless carmaking industry. Now and in future of a rapidly evolving technology environment.

According to my reading, NHTSA is in charge of setting the standards for HAV (highly automated vehicles, which includes autonomous), and they have a very comprehensive list of safety standards to be applied - see policy here.

Regarding the phrase "perfectly safe" - from my reading, this is not the goal. The goal is for these vehicles to be significantly safer than human driven vehicles (maybe this is not a very high bar). Here's the thing: we have over 30,000 vehicle fatalities in the US, 95% of which are caused by human error (in most cases, humans actually violating the law). HAVs will be programmed to drive according to the law (in some cases the law will be changed to accommodate what a HAV can actually do). This won't necessarily translate into perfect. I expect that even with widespread adoption of HAVs, there will still be some crashes, probably even some fatalities. If we insist that these numbers be reduced to zero, that would be an example of the perfect being the enemy of the good. The reason the government is pushing this is to bring down the total fatalities, which is quite feasible.

The House has unanimously given a GO to measure which could see fully autonomous vehicles on U.S. roads without restrictions. Obvious regulations on licensing registration will vary state to state but there will be far fewer limits, if any, on the number of driverless cars a manufacturer can produce. Huge win for larger outfits who have been foaming at the bit. Exciting particularly for blind and vision impaired community as it presents the possibility of increased independence. Additional mobility means much improved quality of life. Comes in tandem with President Trump actively
demonstrating support by ensuring the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Obama to protect the blind and other pedestrians from the dangers posed by silent hybrid and electric vehicles,
makes it safer overall for pedestrian traffic.

Where this autonomous vehicle initiative on its way to the Senate is silent? Safety. There is no legislative language ensuring roll out en masse will be both top quality and proven perfectly safe. That's where Tesla can seal its position over the long life of autonomous vehicles industry. I keep saying it. Safety first. Drivers passengers must be as confident that whatever model, sedan or truck, they drive performs exceptionally well. Especially in emergency life threatening situations. Crashes, flash floods, evacuations, mob crowds (breeding grounds for domestic terrorist situations), unexpected road closures, hazmat spills, environmental incidents, etc etc etc. Tesla, as a newer less larger car manufacturer, making the investment now, can ensure it will stand apart as the safest mainstay brand in driverless carmaking industry. Now and in future of a rapidly evolving technology environment.
Cool story? Point is what exactly?

Reactions: Anon2
According to my reading, NHTSA is in charge of setting the standards for HAV (highly automated vehicles, which includes autonomous), and they have a very comprehensive list of safety standards to be applied - see policy here.

Regarding the phrase "perfectly safe" - from my reading, this is not the goal. The goal is for these vehicles to be significantly safer than human driven vehicles (maybe this is not a very high bar). Here's the thing: we have over 30,000 vehicle fatalities in the US, 95% of which are caused by human error (in most cases, humans actually violating the law). HAVs will be programmed to drive according to the law (in some cases the law will be changed to accommodate what a HAV can actually do). This won't necessarily translate into perfect. I expect that even with widespread adoption of HAVs, there will still be some crashes, probably even some fatalities. If we insist that these numbers be reduced to zero, that would be an example of the perfect being the enemy of the good. The reason the government is pushing this is to bring down the total fatalities, which is quite feasible.

Great point. Sure there's always operator error and other unforeseens but I still think safety standards with a no fatality focus is good. Even if not possible given the unknowns. Human life is worth trying our best to preserve. Especially if now being entrusted largely to AI and software data monitoring agents. Autonomous vehicles are all software and such.

Cool story? Point is what exactly?
Sharing of information mostly. In researching the measure or act most internet references back to President Obama and Congress who originally initiated "quiet car" measures to protect pedestrians. Especially the blind. Current administration in deciding what legislation to keep versus scrap this one is definitely an Obama Era survivor.