Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MCU Index - ARM Tegra, Intel Atom, AMD Ryzen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t think MCU2 had a daughterboard. MCU3/Z for S/X has a GPU daughterboard, but the unreleased MCU3/Z+ for those cars does not, as they integrated both back on a larger PCB.

It seems like a lot of trouble to rework a newer processor compared to the incremental gain. I wonder how those boards would perform with more memory?

Alternatively, maybe less trouble to retrofit the unspotted but certainly upcoming 3/Y HW4 integrated modules into older cars. Yes, you’d have to solve both the cooling issue (but without a dedicated GPU) and solve the issue of the FSD location being separate. I just don’t know if newer hardware can run on the portrait mode screens for the older S/X. If the new roadster keeps that same orientation it would help a bunch.

Last edited:
You're right, I just found pictures of MCU2, there is no daughterboard, anyway, upgrade is still possible, the same way soldered laptop CPUs upgraded &RAM etc. Should be doable and should work, of course the biggest question if it is worth it or not. It is a shame Tesla doesn't make it more modular.

MCU3/MCUZ originally listed for S/X had the GPU daughter card, but spy photos are already out of the new CPU GPU single PCB. Not sure if the components change.

We should probably also include the 3/Y Ryzen no dedicated GPU board that was released after this thread was started.
Yes, Model 3/Y are the majority of the cars, so it'll be good if their MCUs get explicitly listed. As I understand it:
- MCUZ in Model S/X - has daughterboard with discrete Radeon GPU
- MCUZ in Model 3/Y - doesn't have the daughterboard (except for some of the first units manufactured). Can that be purchased and installed as upgrade?
- MCU coming along with HW4 in Model S/X - has discrete Radeon GPU chip soldered on the main MCU board
- MCU coming along with HW4 in Model 3/Y - ???

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
No. At least not unless the owner pays for the MCU2 upgrade. It's not needed, but MCU2 does provide a better FSD presentation. Otherwise functionally, FSD works with MCU1.
So like in order to get old 2017 tesla on FSD 12, they will need to pay the MCU upgrade(from tegra to atom) and AP upgrade(HW2.0/2.5 to HW3) to get the car working on FSD12 right? how much is that total?

…Otherwise functionally, FSD works with MCU1.
I would say theoretically, FSD should work with MCU1. But few ever got it and none are getting it now.

Keep in mind that early MCU1 cars don’t have the interior driver camera, so that may affect availability.
So like in order to get old 2017 tesla on FSD 12, they will need to pay the MCU upgrade(from tegra to atom) and AP upgrade(HW2.0/2.5 to HW3) to get the car working on FSD12 right? how much is that total?
You pay for the MCU upgrade although some sue Tesla to get it reimbursed.

The other two will be free if you bought FSD outright: RCCC to RCCB camera upgrade and HW3 computer upgrade. Are you asking the cost for both if you rent FSD? Again, some sue Tesla to get it reimbursed.

...Keep in mind that early MCU1 cars don’t have the interior driver camera, so that may affect availability....
Many MCU2 cars (all?) don't have the cabin camera either. My guess is those without the cabin camera will always have to use the steering nag. Looks like FSD 12.6 will get rid of the nag, if you have the cabin camera.

I would say theoretically, FSD should work with MCU1. But few ever got it and none are getting it now.

Keep in mind that early MCU1 cars don’t have the interior driver camera, so that may affect availability.

You pay for the MCU upgrade although some sue Tesla to get it reimbursed.

The other two will be free if you bought FSD outright: RCCC to RCCB camera upgrade and HW3 computer upgrade. Are you asking the cost for both if you rent FSD? Again, some sue Tesla to get it reimbursed.
What is the update pace for those old car which updated MCU and camera? Are they gonna get the same FSD update pace with the newer car?

What is the update pace for those old car which updated MCU and camera? Are they gonna get the same FSD update pace with the newer car?
no one knows that ... where would the data come from?

Realize that there are two distinct v12 FSD forks. 2024.14.x & 2024.3.x and a v11 FSD fork 2024.8
See: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker
pLyeciC.jpeg

I have the MCU2 upgrade it is worth every penny.
Here are my updates. See 'Days since...'
54wj1fk.jpeg