Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD Subscription Now $99/Month | Tesla Motors Club Podcast #62

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still in my free trial of the FSD. It is impressive, but still needs improvement. On major well marked roads it is fine. However, it is almost funny how it seems to always choose the most obtuse way to get into or out of a parking lot. There is also the issue that it relies on traffic speed limit signs. When going from a 50 mph main road onto a 25 mph side street, my car will try to go 50 mph until it sees the sign. That is dangerous and illegal.

I am taking a long road trip this July from Florida to my hometown in Iowa. For $99, I might just subscribe for one month for that trip. For everyday, around town driving, even $99 a month is too much.

My first experience with FSD was for 5 months last year with 11.4.x. It was fun to play with and show off, but it was frequently uncomfortable, stressful, embarrassing, and often dangerous. Once the novelty wore off and it became less stressful to drive manually, I unsubscribed and told myself that if I ever saw real improvement, I would consider resubscribing.

I then tried 12.3.2.1 then 12.3.3 during the free trial. Disengagements have gone from regularly to rarely and I now find it much more comfortable, confident, safe, and useful. It still doesn't drive as well as a human, but it is so much better than 11.4.x that it has restored my enthusiasm for FSD.

While 12 is significantly better than 11, I still didn't plant to resubscribe at $200/mo. Then, Tesla surprised me with $100/mo. Now, I'm strongly considering resubscribing.

My complaints about FSD have decreased dramatically and are down to "minor quibbles" and "edge cases".

I could still fill a page full of things that 12 does wrong, but that's considerably less than several pages of things that 11 did wrong. I can now make the overwhelming majority of most drives without disengaging and rarely intervening - I don't recall a single drive with 11 where I didn't have to disengage.

I become very pessimistic about FSD last year. For the last couple of weeks, I have never been more optimistic about it.

I'm still in my free trial of the FSD. It is impressive, but still needs improvement. On major well marked roads it is fine. However, it is almost funny how it seems to always choose the most obtuse way to get into or out of a parking lot. There is also the issue that it relies on traffic speed limit signs. When going from a 50 mph main road onto a 25 mph side street, my car will try to go 50 mph until it sees the sign. That is dangerous and illegal.

I am taking a long road trip this July from Florida to my hometown in Iowa. For $99, I might just subscribe for one month for that trip. For everyday, around town driving, even $99 a month is too much.
Agree about the speed limit issues. That is my only major problem. The high schools in my area are all built on major streets. 35mph during the week between 7am and 4pm, and 45mph on weekends, holidays spring breaks etc. The car doesn’t respond accordingly. When I run errands locally I don’t bother turning on FSD as there will be at least a couple disengagements for this reason (and occasionally a traffic cop). I’m on 12.3.4

Reactions: Dale_L and Dracaris
At first, I was kinda disappointed that the price of an FSDS sub for EAP owners was still stuck at $99/mo, but after trying it for two weeks and deciding we're just not ready to depend v12.3.4 or its offspring, we're back to NOA / TACC and are much more at ease. As a result, we don't care one bit about the subscription cost of FSDS for EAP owners because we don't want it...at least not yet.

I'm in my car a lot as I travel for work. The free trial for FSD has been fun to play with (as others have said), and I do agree it's way better than v11. However, even at $99 it's of little value for me at the moment. When I'm able to set a destination, turn on FSD, and not have to pay attention then I will subscribe or pay out right for it. I would love to be able to work (text / email / etc) while my car drives me to my next stop. When it gets there...it will be a no brainer to purchase.

Reactions: zroger73
I did it and ended up with v. 11.4.9.

Rolling Eyes.png

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
In my morning route, the navigation never takes the route that I want to take, and FSD locks down the steering wheel so we can't easily steer around potholes or position the car. I would like:
* More two-way communication with the feature. Right now the only way we can communicate is via the accelerator pedal. That helps with some interventions, but I also want to be able to do minor adjustments with the steering wheel without disengaging, so I can steer around potholes or help it out with lane positioning. At the same time, FSD should communicate with me what it's doing, so lane changes and unprotected turns are less stressful.
* Ability to drag the route to customize it. Waypoints don't work as well because the car slows down for them, and also, I often accidentally cancel the entire navigation when trying to remove a waypoint.

Reactions: rlsd
In my morning route, the navigation never takes the route that I want to take, and FSD locks down the steering wheel so we can't easily steer around potholes or position the car. I would like:
* More two-way communication with the feature. Right now the only way we can communicate is via the accelerator pedal. That helps with some interventions, but I also want to be able to do minor adjustments with the steering wheel without disengaging, so I can steer around potholes or help it out with lane positioning. At the same time, FSD should communicate with me what it's doing, so lane changes and unprotected turns are less stressful.
* Ability to drag the route to customize it. Waypoints don't work as well because the car slows down for them, and also, I often accidentally cancel the entire navigation when trying to remove a waypoint.
I agree. The current way to setup alternate route is difficult to use. Also when I zoom in the map it automatically recenters after a few seconds. Tesla needs to have a better user experience development team.

Reactions: primedive
At first, I was kinda disappointed that the price of an FSDS sub for EAP owners was still stuck at $99/mo, but after trying it for two weeks and deciding we're just not ready to depend v12.3.4 or its offspring, we're back to NOA / TACC and are much more at ease. As a result, we don't care one bit about the subscription cost of FSDS for EAP owners because we don't want it...at least not yet.
So the price for EAP subcribers has not been reduced. Does anyone know if it still might be reduced to about $50?

My car saw a sign for I think county road 60 and tried to do that speed speed in a 25 mph area.

Tesla has lowered its monthly FSD subscription fee to $99. We discuss this as well as other topics.

Co-hosts-
Louis: @nebusoft
Mike: @SteelClouds
Doug: @doug
Seb: @Seb P85D

Producers-
Adam: @ElectricAve84
James: @scrapps
Daniel: @danny

Social-
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TeslaMotorsClub
Facebook: Log into Facebook
Instagram: Tesla Motors Club (@teslamotorsclubofficial) • Instagram photos and videos
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/teslamotorsclub

Audio versions-
Apple Podcasts: ‎‎Tesla Motors Club Podcast on Apple Podcasts
Spotify: Tesla Motors Club Podcast
Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/38bacc87-f8b7-4f5c-aa64-2db865214942
TuneIn: Listen to Tesla Motors Club Podcast on TuneIn
RSS: https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1950101.rss

Support us-
PayPal: PayPal.Me
TeslaMotorsClub website: Account upgrades
still waiting for episode #62 to show show up on Apple Podcast app 🙏