Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla collision center quoted $4400 for repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, took my car to Tesla collision center and they quoted $4400 in body paint repairs for the following damage. Good news is insurance will cover it since the claim falls under comprehensive and I have a low deductible but I’m scared my insurance still might go up after. What do you think?
Is it worth to go ahead with the repairs or just suck it up and keep driving since these damages are inevitable (most of my driving is on the freeway). I’m most concerned about the resale value of my car when I do sell it one day. How much do you think these damages will affect my sale price? I love the car and plan on driving it till I feasibly can.

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1707.jpeg
    IMG_1707.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2474.jpeg
    IMG_2474.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: RNHurt
Hi, took my car to Tesla collision center and they quoted $4400 in body paint repairs for the following damage. Good news is insurance will cover it since the claim falls under comprehensive and I have a low deductible but I’m scared my insurance still might go up after. What do you think?
Is it worth to go ahead with the repairs or just suck it up and keep driving since these damages are inevitable (most of my driving is on the freeway). I’m most concerned about the resale value of my car when I do sell it one day. How much do you think these damages will affect my sale price? I love the car and plan on driving it till I feasibly can.

It's purely cosmetic.

If you sell your car now, just give the new owner a $5,000 discount.

If you wait until the battery warranty expires, your Model 3 will lose value even if it looks brand new cosmetically.

If the look bothers you that much, get a generic body shop price, which should be much cheaper. I don't think there's any ultrasonic sensor that needs Tesla-approved shops in this case.

It's purely cosmetic.

If you sell your car now, just give the new owner a $5,000 discount.

If you wait until the battery warranty expires, your Model 3 will lose value even if it looks brand new cosmetically.

If the look bothers you that much, get a generic body shop price, which should be much cheaper. I don't think there's any ultrasonic sensor that needs Tesla-approved shops in this case.
I took it to a generic body shop as well and their quote was still around $3k which I’d have to pay out of pocket later since insurance won’t cover after a certain amount of time has passed after the accident. At that point I might as well take advantage of my low deductible. Also, most local body shops won’t even touch a Tesla.

$4400 for that? Keep the damage mate... I say touch it up best you can if it really bothers you and save yourself the money. Tesla resale values are trash anyways. Just my two cents.

The Tesla collision center rep mentioned that the paint chip on the quarter panel will start to rust since it is made of steel and not aluminum and will cost way more in the future. I’m conflicted if they’re just trying to sell or this is actually a concern.

Damage looks horrible. It would bother me for sure. Get it fixed if budget allows.

If it was me, I would just get the color matched touch up paint kit and fix it myself. Clean up the edges and apply the paint and clear coating. It won't look perfect, but it will look better and cover up the area to prevent rusts. In terms of resale, small scratches like these won't matter as much unless the car is nearly brand new when you are selling.

You could go through insurance, but I am fairly certain your insurance will be affected. Whether it is worth is totally personal. Some people wants perfection. Others, it is just a transportation tool.

Get it fixed. It's worth it for $100 (or whatever your comprehensive deductible is).

I replaced a front window on a Porsche 911 and, more recently, the top front glass panel (where a sunroof would be) on my Model 3 Performance. Both were comprehensive claims and there didn't appear to be any effect on my insurance premiums in both cases.

Reactions: SpeedBird23
Paintless of course!

I did a bumper repair for a leased BMW X1. The guy did it in my workplace parking lot. He had a computer software that provided him the color match code. After a couple hours he was done and the car obviously had a repaired bumper, but it looked much better. It would have been a few thousand dollar repair in a body shop.

When I returned the lease fully expected BMW to charge me for the bumper damage. But they didn't say anything. I had wear and tear coverage, but that wouldn't have covered accident damage.

I have also done two major dent repair, both were visible after painless repair, but still looked much better than before.

For what it's worth, I'm in California too and went through insurance when a tree branch fell on my car and it required over $5,000 to fix. My insurance company said it would not affect my rates (I think because it was a comprehensive claim). My rate did end up going up a small amount, which may have been unrelated to the claim (seems like my insurance rates steadily go up regardless of making a claim.) But even if the claim did cause the rate increase, it was worth it - it would take many, many years at this increased rate before the difference is $5,000.

• Informative
Reactions: SpeedBird23