Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla card not working-what gives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cards are configured in the car through the UI. You can add and delete cards from there. They are not magnetic so they won't "lose their information" like what happens in hotels. You should have gotten multiple cards with the car, try another one. Otherwise get in with your phone and then check the registered cards.

Note: you can break a card but that would entail breaking the antenna wire that goes along the outer edge for the most part.

• Informative
Reactions: Biscuitman
Never use it, but this morning iPhone was dead so tried to get in with my card.Placed it against pillar multi times and no action whatsoever. Can the card become deactivated somehow?
I’m sorry if this question is too simplistic, but was the card ever linked to the car? Had you previously used that card to activate that car?

Before using car will recognize a card, the card needs to be linked so that the car recognizes that specific card as being authorized to activate that specific vehicle. Each card can be activated for either full access or for the more limited “valet mode” access.

I’m sorry if this question is too simplistic, but was the card ever linked to the car? Had you previously used that card to activate that car?

Before using car will recognize a card, the card needs to be linked so that the car recognizes that specific card as being authorized to activate that specific vehicle. Each card can be activated for either full access or for the more limited “valet mode” access.
Yes the card is linked and has been used before, about 2 months ago.
I tried it again just now and it worked, so very odd.