Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TELO Truck Prototype - The world’s most efficient EV pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ust noticed this video about the TELO "mini" Truck and wanted to share it on TMC:

We redesigned the EV truck footprint and function from the ground up
by marrying the state of the art in electrification and advanced safety technology.
With Toyota Tacoma capability, Tesla-like range and efficiency, in the footprint
of a MINI Cooper, TELO is the most compact, practical and technically advanced truck.
Meeting the need for a highly functional and powerful EV pickup
equally suited to navigating downtown and hauling people and gear out of town.

TELLO vs Aptera .jpeg

TELLO vs Mini .jpeg

TELLO  .jpeg

Meh. Maybe good in a dense urban environment, but it looks like someone stepped on the front of it and then tried to dress it up as "cute". I'd rather have a little extra length and have some space up front for a frunk and some crumple zone.

Something like a Maverick or a Santa Fe, but maybe with the cab shifted forward a foot or so in exchange for a longer bed.

I've been on their Discord since the company broke silence last June. CEO, CTO, and lead engineer have been very active about explaining design choices they've made, asking the people what they want on specs that haven't been nailed down yet, etc. Lots of innovations going on beyond what you can see from those shots and on that video. I'm pretty impressed with their strategy and cautiously optimistic that they'll deliver an amazing utility to price ratio.

The short distance from the nose to the front row's heels is certainly something to have some doubt about. Waiting to see their crash simulations and such before I make a judgment. Would like to see larger tires as an option, but that may be somewhat limited.

But other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing this thing in person in not too long.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I've been on their Discord since the company broke silence last June. CEO, CTO, and lead engineer have been very active about explaining design choices they've made, asking the people what they want on specs that haven't been nailed down yet, etc. Lots of innovations going on beyond what you can see from those shots and on that video. I'm pretty impressed with their strategy and cautiously optimistic that they'll deliver an amazing utility to price ratio.

The short distance from the nose to the front row's heels is certainly something to have some doubt about. Waiting to see their crash simulations and such before I make a judgment. Would like to see larger tires as an option, but that may be somewhat limited.

But other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing this thing in person in not too long.

I have been following also the Aptera development, and I can see that designing a new EV is a real daunting task !!!

This mini truck looks like a Japanese Fire Truck... This could be be a very cool truck but I wonder what would be a real maket for it.
My main concern would be the selling price. The price of the Aptera with 25 kWh and 250 miles range is estimated to $26k. But this
mini truck would not be as efficient and would require at least a 40 kWh battery, and an Aptera with a 40 kWh battery woud be $30k.

So this mini truck would be competiting with the future Tesla Model 2 price range, estimated to be sold at $25k.

I wonder why they would not start with a Model 3 platform, to save cost of designing a new vehicle from scratch,
and make a kind of joint venture withTesla, to build a new vehicle.

Here is a picture showing the dimension of the above TELO/MiNi Cooper compared to a Model 3:

Tesla Model 3 vs Mini .jpg

As an example, I was thinking at the Truckla pickup who uses the bed of an old Ford F150 welded to a Model 3?
And here is the Truckla pickup to have an idea of what a TELO based on a Model 3 platform could be:

Truckla .jpg

Truckla bed .jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Target price is supposedly $50k for only one battery size 106kWh thus far announced (not sure if that's gross or useable). At 3.8mi/kWh to get ~350 mi of range. Obviously far less towing an aerodynamically inefficient box.

They're using largely COTS parts from Tier 1 suppliers. Partnership with Tesla not required, as the core tech is all available elsewhere. Sure no 800V or 48V architecture yet, but could be there if the price of components came down in the future.