Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Luis Obispo, CA (LIVE 5 May 2018, expanded May 2020, 14 V2 + 4 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should have done this a year ago... and they should add King City. Atascadero and SLO are beyond capacity because there's such a large gap between them and Salinas. Driving from the bay area, I have no choice but to stop at one of them and wait in a big line... every single time. Not to sound too negative -- I am pleased to see the progress and hope this is the start of more expansion in this corridor.

I think part of the reason we haven't seen a location like around King City is that they also seem to locate new sites around areas where a lot of Tesla owners are. Kind of doubt King City fits that bill. But as mentioned by me before, I do think King City would be a good in between spot between Salinas and Atasadero/Madonna SLO. I know they've worked out the mileage between supercharger locations and it's been fine for drivers for the most part I think, so probably another reason it hasn't happened. And if they were to substantially increase the number of stalls at Atasadero and Madonna it would go a long way to lessen the wait time while traveling 101 so maybe King City wouldn't be really needed. We never had any problem traveling 101 with our MS 75D as far a range.

Reactions: goldengate
That 75 must be the tipping point. My 60 had trouble, and just barely missed reaching all the way. I had to spend a lot of time and money at slow level 2 chargers.

We had a bit of range anxiety on our first trip south on 101 back in 2017. Our Tesla was our first EV. As I recall car was charged probably to 80 or so % at home but stopped at Gilroy and added more range then out of abundant caution. Made it to next Supercharger at Atascadero though and charged there. No Salinas or Madonna/SLO back then.

Construction update:

IMG_2274.jpeg IMG_2275.jpeg

I stopped by for the first time over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see only 2 other Teslas charging at 10pm on Friday night. I was able to charge from 50 range miles to 170 in about 35 minutes with my old S85.

I came back on Sunday to check out the Madonna and was able to go from 70 range miles to 200 in about 45 minutes. I stopped in to check out the waterfall urinal in the men's room and had an Irish coffee at the bar. I was grateful to see no congestion and fast charging rates, which has been a total crapshoot for our 85 lately. Atascadero had 2 stalls not functioning properly so I'm glad Madonna's were in good working order.

I would think there would no issues at 10 pm... it's middle of the day when the lines are ridiculous.... but glad to hear.
Did you happen to notice how the new stalls are progressing?
I need them open by next week! :):)

My friend (prospective Tesla buyer) took a peek behind the fencing and it didn't look they'd be ready to go next week. We didn't see any pedestals set up, but all the conduit seems to be done.

• Informative
Reactions: goldengate
Spotted on reddit, in response to a comment about Kettleman City being upgraded to V3 - "Yup, it is. As is the San Luis Obispo one. From what I've heard, both should be completed before the holiday season." I'm not sure if this is correct - none of the photos here seem to reflect V3 gear, but I might just be looking at the existing V2 gear.

Spotted on reddit, in response to a comment about Kettleman City being upgraded to V3 - "Yup, it is. As is the San Luis Obispo one. From what I've heard, both should be completed before the holiday season." I'm not sure if this is correct - none of the photos here seem to reflect V3 gear, but I might just be looking at the existing V2 gear.
This one is weird. Looking at the conduit for the new equipment pads in the construction area (see pics in post #233), you can see that they are adding 2 V2 cabinets and 1 V3 cabinet. So, of the 8 new stalls, 4 will be V2 and 4 will be V3.

Reactions: miimura