Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happens consistently to me regardless of stall used. I only charge 1-2/month and only to be able to run errands after working all night. But it really pisses me off. I have thought about letting the car sit there for three hours out of spite, but I wouldn't dare out of respect to fellow owners

Something happen regularly doesn't support the theory of being throttled on purpose by Tesla. It makes no sense for Tesla to slow down charging, increase a problem and not telling the users. Tesla has sent emails out to some people that have been using local Superchargers a lot. So we know what they do when they see a potential problem. Slowing down a charger makes no sense from any point of view.

Temperature (ambient and weather) were non issues and simply restarting the charge took care of the throttled rate.

I agree that it makes no sense to throttle charging. That is why I would like to see people submit their experiences, and pay particular attention to this occurrence . we need more data points before we can make a conclusion, either a positive association or a negative one.

I agree that it makes no sense to throttle charging. That is why I would like to see people submit their experiences, and pay particular attention to this occurrence . we need more data points before we can make a conclusion, either a positive association or a negative one.

We had pages of the very same discussion a while ago.
My car won't charge faster than 60kW

Living in Los Angeles, I have plenty of Superchargers that could be considered local. I have never experienced any slow down at those even at times where I charged at them on a daily basis for a week (my home charger was out).

We had pages of the very same discussion a while ago.
My car won't charge faster than 60kW

Living in Los Angeles, I have plenty of Superchargers that could be considered local. I have never experienced any slow down at those even at times where I charged at them on a daily basis for a week (my home charger was out).

What I'm seeing is not the same issue as that thread. I start out charging at FULL rate until I hit about 45% SOC. Then it drops IMMEDIATELY to 74 Amps and stays rock solid at that rate until I stop charging. Disconnecting and reconnecting does not solve the problem. I'm going to do some experiments this week at 3 different SCs to see if I can replicate it at some place other than here in SD.

(I'm 90% sure it's localized to just this one SC. Just got back from trips to Phoenix and another one to Palm Springs. Hit 5+ different charges, all operated normally, charging at full/normal rates). Only place I've seen this behavior is here in San Diego.

What I'm seeing is not the same issue as that thread. I start out charging at FULL rate until I hit about 45% SOC. Then it drops IMMEDIATELY to 74 Amps and stays rock solid at that rate until I stop charging. Disconnecting and reconnecting does not solve the problem. I'm going to do some experiments this week at 3 different SCs to see if I can replicate it at some place other than here in SD.

(I'm 90% sure it's localized to just this one SC. Just got back from trips to Phoenix and another one to Palm Springs. Hit 5+ different charges, all operated normally, charging at full/normal rates). Only place I've seen this behavior is here in San Diego.

What does Tesla say about it?

Interested to see this dialog about possible "throttling" because I have observed what I thought might be throttled (reduced rate) charging at my nearby Superchargers in Dedham, MA. Right off I have to admit that I am one of those "locals" who uses the Supercharger -- in my case, because I live in a condo and have not, until now, been able to install home charging. (Much more about that in other threads. And it will shortly be resolved, so please no comments about how this is wrong, etc.)

Three times lately, most recently today, I have used the Dedham S/C to find that the charge rate dropped considerably once I got to some moderate level of charge. E.g., on July 7 I started with a charge rate of 75 KW (even though I was the second car at a charger), after which it rose to 100KW when the other car left. But at about 40% charge, the rate dropped to 22KW where it stayed until I quit at 63%. So it took an hour to get only 49% charge gain on my 70D. (I had started at 14%.) Today, the charge started normally at 98 KW or so, but dropped to 22 KW at 34%. It took 45 minutes to gain only 35%. (I do not watch constantly so the rate change could have occurred sooner in both cases.). In the past 3 weeks or so I have also used the Sagamore and Seabrook S/C stations, and have not observed the same behavior. Charging has been much faster for the same total gain in range at the Sagamore and Seabrook stations.

At Dedham, I have not paid attention to which specific pedestal I am connected to, so I do not know if one or two of them at Dedham is having a technical problem. That did not occur to me until I read this thread today.

Weather was not an issue. Temperatures were in the 70s both times I noted the reduced rates.

So, absent a technical issue at Dedham, I do suspect that I am getting reduced charging rates at the Dedham S/C. The effect is that I either spend more time there, or have to come back sooner.

I also have not received any letter or other communication from Tesla telling me not to charge at a local supercharger, as some folks apparently did last summer (before I had my car).

So I will try to pay attention to which charger(s) are giving me reduced charge rates and inquire of Tesla if it looks as if there is a technical problem with any one of them.

With any luck, I will not have to use the Dedham S/C as my primary source once my home charger is installed in couple of weeks. (I am waiting for delivery of a Tesla wall charger.)

Reactions: callmesam
Interested to see this dialog about possible "throttling" because I have observed what I thought might be throttled (reduced rate) charging at my nearby Superchargers in Dedham, MA. Right off I have to admit that I am one of those "locals" who uses the Supercharger -- in my case, because I live in a condo and have not, until now, been able to install home charging. (Much more about that in other threads. And it will shortly be resolved, so please no comments about how this is wrong, etc.)

Three times lately, most recently today, I have used the Dedham S/C to find that the charge rate dropped considerably once I got to some moderate level of charge. E.g., on July 7 I started with a charge rate of 75 KW (even though I was the second car at a charger), after which it rose to 100KW when the other car left. But at about 40% charge, the rate dropped to 22KW where it stayed until I quit at 63%. So it took an hour to get only 49% charge gain on my 70D. (I had started at 14%.) Today, the charge started normally at 98 KW or so, but dropped to 22 KW at 34%. It took 45 minutes to gain only 35%. (I do not watch constantly so the rate change could have occurred sooner in both cases.). In the past 3 weeks or so I have also used the Sagamore and Seabrook S/C stations, and have not observed the same behavior. Charging has been much faster for the same total gain in range at the Sagamore and Seabrook stations.

At Dedham, I have not paid attention to which specific pedestal I am connected to, so I do not know if one or two of them at Dedham is having a technical problem. That did not occur to me until I read this thread today.

Weather was not an issue. Temperatures were in the 70s both times I noted the reduced rates.

So, absent a technical issue at Dedham, I do suspect that I am getting reduced charging rates at the Dedham S/C. The effect is that I either spend more time there, or have to come back sooner.

I also have not received any letter or other communication from Tesla telling me not to charge at a local supercharger, as some folks apparently did last summer (before I had my car).

So I will try to pay attention to which charger(s) are giving me reduced charge rates and inquire of Tesla if it looks as if there is a technical problem with any one of them.

With any luck, I will not have to use the Dedham S/C as my primary source once my home charger is installed in couple of weeks. (I am waiting for delivery of a Tesla wall charger.)

As soon as the SC throttles back, call Tesla while your call is still charging and have them troubleshoot live over the phone.

I've had additional concerns that my battery might be overheating while SC and thus might be causing a throttle back. If I've got a bad battery pack, it needs to be replaced under warranty.

ShotgunF15E, thanks for that suggestion. I called Tesla when the charging rate dropped abruptly this AM at Dedham, MA. I was told that the charger I was using has known issues. The person on the phone suggested an alternate stall, so I moved over to it and had a very good charge rate. Nothing to do with my car, thankfully!

Good to know. That's what they have told others as well. Also indicates they've taken no action to fix it....

ShotgunF15E, thanks for that suggestion. I called Tesla when the charging rate dropped abruptly this AM at Dedham, MA. I was told that the charger I was using has known issues. The person on the phone suggested an alternate stall, so I moved over to it and had a very good charge rate. Nothing to do with my car, thankfully!