Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA (LIVE 26 Nov 2019, 24 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20191119_161502.jpg IMG_20191119_161422.jpg IMG_20191119_161552.jpg

Plants in, power guy in the vault testing, Tesla parking spots striped, just in time too !

Hah, I musta just missed you, RT! I snagged this shot of the charging area just now.

I overheard a guy chatting excitedly with his friend that he'd just discovered that this is where they're putting the new SC. He's probably the one I saw driving past me in the structure in a black Model 3.

Attachments

• 6A7E7426-F64D-435C-A06C-7920CCC7ADA2.jpeg
    6A7E7426-F64D-435C-A06C-7920CCC7ADA2.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
The city DCFCs still do not have the heavy gauge wiring run from the ground installed equipment to the roof. I check the electrical box under the roof every day where they come in, and it is empty. Bunch of wire spools hiding under the wet cardboard if you look closely. At least they have the lower portion of the DCFCs where the cooling fan goes buttoned up now.

IMG_20191121_065346.jpg IMG_20191121_065425.jpg

Reactions: Troy916
Anyone have any clue what is up with the non-standard placement of the two supercharger posts that are the closest to the camera in my previous comment? Not only are they not attached to the black thing that connects all the other posts, but they're oriented differently from each other, too.

Both handicapped spots, and connected via conduit running under the roof floor.

RT

Looks like they are finally pulling the heavy gauge wire for the city DCFCs. Guys working in the ground level electrical room were dodging the newly installed and operational sprinklers. :D There will be no roof over that area per the contractor, but a locked gate will be installed. He conveyed that there was still quite a bit of inspection work and coordination between Tesla and the City to go. So maybe no Turkey Day dinner at the Yard House for us fanboys and fangirls...

Attachments

• IMG_20191122_070651.jpg
    IMG_20191122_070651.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20191122_070552.jpg
    IMG_20191122_070552.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Troy916
Ground level construction fencing is now down, with a gate now installed on the equipment room. Wire has now been run from the roof to the equipment room for the DCFCs. A shot of the half dozen DCFC is the best state of readiness. The Green Street entrance has been blocked since construction started because they were storing material there. It looks like it is being returned to operation soon.

IMG_20191123_064707.jpg IMG_20191123_065440.jpg IMG_20191123_064600.jpg IMG_20191123_064849.jpg

Huh, now that I'm getting a good look at those city DCFCs, they look exactly like the brand new chargers that Caltech installed into one of their parking structures recently. They aren't turned on yet, but the "posts" are identical, except with different branding.

I'd assumed they were level 2 chargers. But if they're level 3... Sweet!

Ok, lets file this under not quite thinking it through, possibly just poor planning, and why Tesla is light years ahead of everyone else. Take a close look at the two city DCFCs shown below:

IMG_20191124_064827.jpg

Of the 18 that are currently going in, there are 9 of each "type". Where type equates to some have credit card readers, and some don't.

The two things that really make credit card readers a thing of the past are: 1) ISO 15118, and 2) near field communication (NFC). It's pretty obvious that a reader that is sitting there covered with blue tape to protect it isn't really going to be a happy camper over the long haul when exposed to the elements. Especially so on the roof where the sun and rain are part of the equation. So maybe back when the DCFC procurement was made it was just assumed that a credit card reader would be needed. I believe the Electrify America agreement with VW actually mandated credit card readers on their deployed chargers (just checked, it does not).

Given that anyone who uses a DCFC will almost certainly have a cell phone, NFC support would have been sufficient to allow for both Apple Pay and Google Pay. ISO 15118 compliance would have been icing on the cake, and made charging as simple as Tesla charging. The almost certainty that these DCFCs with card readers are going to present both use issues and maintenance issues given the two viable alternatives tells me that it was not thought through from an ease of use perspective.

The Tesla Supercharger debuted back in 2012. No credit card reader required. Not clear to me what communication and encryption protocol Tesla uses. The bottom line is that Tesla figured it out 7 years ago, and non-Tesla DCFC installers are still flailing around putting in equipment that is going to have to be upgraded or changed sooner rather than later. Not to even mention the 72kW versus 50kW rating.

The Basics of Plug & Charge – V2G Clarity

Ok, lets file this under not quite thinking it through, possibly just poor planning, and why Tesla is light years ahead of everyone else. Take a close look at the two city DCFCs shown below:

View attachment 480768

Of the 18 that are currently going in, there are 9 of each "type". Where type equates to some have credit card readers, and some don't.

The two things that really make credit card readers a thing of the past are: 1) ISO 15118, and 2) near field communication (NFC). It's pretty obvious that a reader that is sitting there covered with blue tape to protect it isn't really going to be a happy camper over the long haul when exposed to the elements. Especially so on the roof where the sun and rain are part of the equation. So maybe back when the DCFC procurement was made it was just assumed that a credit card reader would be needed. I believe the Electrify America agreement with VW actually mandated credit card readers on their deployed chargers (just checked, it does not).

Given that anyone who uses a DCFC will almost certainly have a cell phone, NFC support would have been sufficient to allow for both Apple Pay and Google Pay. ISO 15118 compliance would have been icing on the cake, and made charging as simple as Tesla charging. The almost certainty that these DCFCs with card readers are going to present both use issues and maintenance issues given the two viable alternatives tells me that it was not thought through from an ease of use perspective.

The Tesla Supercharger debuted back in 2012. No credit card reader required. Not clear to me what communication and encryption protocol Tesla uses. The bottom line is that Tesla figured it out 7 years ago, and non-Tesla DCFC installers are still flailing around putting in equipment that is going to have to be upgraded or changed sooner rather than later. Not to even mention the 72kW versus 50kW rating.

The Basics of Plug & Charge – V2G Clarity
I will be happy anytime I see someone,
anyone using the “other” fast chargers.

Yeah, me too. I think all the chargers on that roof will see pretty good usage. Pretty affluent area, with a lot of condo dwellers who don't have access to EV charging. I was in that boat (the condo dweller, not afflicted with affluence...) until I bit the bullet and jumped through the required hoops and expense to install an L2 in my parking space.

I'll probably swing by periodically and report on what kind of usage the site is seeing. Also curious to see what the city will be charging for power.

RT

Reactions: mblakele and ABCTG