Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laurel, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My prediction is that NO Supercharger will go online until after September ( otherwise known as after the third quarter). Elon is now forced to play the quarterly earnings game that has been so successful for so many other large corporations.

My prediction is that NO Supercharger will go online until after September ( otherwise known as after the third quarter). Elon is now forced to play the quarterly earnings game that has been so successful for so many other large corporations.

Well one in CA went online on 9/8 and another one in Maine went online on 9/2 so that doesn't seem very likely.

My money is on some permitting/local government issue.

This afternoon I stopped by to have lunch. When I returned to my car a nearly identical Tesla had parked a space away from me next to the supercharges. Same color, a refreshed 70 with temporary Colorado tags. Welcome to Maryland! Sorry no supercharging for you today.

I just stopped at Laurel to charge and get some food

Said no one ever.

Hey, I've stopped, charged, and got some food at Laurel. Even checked in on PlugShare! ;-)

IMG_9642b.png

The Konterra solar-powered micro grid is probably the most interesting charging spot you've never been to. It's right off of I-95, closer to the exit than the Laurel Supercharger site.

There are two charging stations under a 400 kW solar canopy with 300 kWh of battery storage housed in a white shipping container beside the building. So this charging station will actually be able to work during a zombie apocalypse.

"On a Roll" deli on the first floor is open Mon-Fri 7:00 am - 4:00 pm. The lobby has an interactive display about the solar - micro grid project.

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

The capital/cash has already been spent. The only thing they would be delaying is the electric bill, which wouldn't be due until after the quarter anyway.

Unless Tesla doesn't pay the contractor until the Supercharger goes live.

This afternoon I stopped by to have lunch. When I returned to my car a nearly identical Tesla had parked a space away from me next to the supercharges. Same color, a refreshed 70 with temporary Colorado tags. Welcome to Maryland! Sorry no supercharging for you today.

Maybe that is a Tesla corporate Supercharger test vehicle. The one that has previously been referred to as "The man in the white Tesla".

• Funny
Reactions: CatB
There are two charging stations under a 400 kW solar canopy with 300 kWh of battery storage housed in a white shipping container beside the building. So this charging station will actually be able to work during a zombie apocalypse.
I don't think that the semaconnect to turn it on will work during the zombie apocalypse!

With that said, a serious question: What power can this station provide for the $1/hour charge?

Unless Tesla doesn't pay the contractor until the Supercharger goes live.

If you look at the cost of the Superchargers in relation to Tesla's expenses and overall quarterly earnings report, it is merely peanuts - less than 1% of expenses. If Tesla were actually trying to save money on such a small, yet vital expense, it would tell me 2 things, Tesla is in BIG trouble financially, and the M3 will not roll out in the next year.

The supercharger network is just TOO important, while relatively inexpensive for Tesla to delay its build out. It would basically have NO effect on the quarterly report.

I don't think that the semaconnect to turn it on will work during the zombie apocalypse!

With that said, a serious question: What power can this station provide for the $1/hour charge?

The SemaConnect stations at Konterra provide 30A more power than the Laurel Supercharger is currently putting out. ;)

And of course the zombie apocalypse reference is from Elon's quote from when he unveiled the new Supercharger stations promising hundreds of charging stations that will have solar panels and storage batteries, allowing them to run “even if the entire national grid goes down.”

Elon said, “So, I was joking with someone that even if there’s the zombie apocalypse, which is a popular theme these days, even if there’s a zombie apocalypse, you’ll still be able to travel throughout the country using the Tesla supercharging system.”

Reactions: EVTECH
Still nothing at Laurel? This has to be the strangest SuC install ever. We should just park a car in the garage facing the SuC with a phone and stream a feed :)

Like I stated back in message # 378. I wonder if the reason it's not live yet is that the night time lighting is so poor there. Maybe its not up to Tesla contracted standards??

Like I stated back in message # 378. I wonder if the reason it's not live yet is that the night time lighting is so poor there. Maybe its not up to Tesla contracted standards??

I stopped at the Somerset, PA supercharger last weekend at night. It's behind a Wendy's and there is very little lighting.

---------------------
Now that I've been to a number of superchargers on several road trips in the last month, I can say that the Laurel location will be one of the best as far as restaurant options and other things to do. Knoxville is similar, most aren't close. None of the superchargers I visited were in a parking structure that affords protection from the elements.

If I was travelling I would likely plan my trip around stopping here at mealtime (when it's open! ;) ).

Reactions: Austral