Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Square vs staggered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am debating on changing my factory 19" to 20". Planning on going with Martian MW05 and noticed that on the website there is a staggered or square setup. Leaning towards the square setup. What are the drawbacks of the square vs staggered setup?

Square would be more advantageous towards tire life as you can rotate them without issue. Just make sure the offsets of the square setup don’t leave your wheels either sunken in or poking out too much.

Only positive to a staggered setup that i see is for looks…otherwise staggered makes more sense.

Which year/trim do you have?

I have a square 20x9 245/40 setup which is nice for tire rotations, but I have a feeling there is not enough mechanical grip at the rear when I take off from a stop. Even with summer tires I can get the traction control light to pop on. On my P85D I didn't have that problem.

If this is no issue to you, a square setup will be fine and less expensive.

What size rims and tires did you go with? The Martian website is suggesting 20 x 10.5 for the square setup. I was worried it would stick out in the front.

With a 20 x 10.5 wheel your minimum tire width is 265 mm. Maximum tire width is 295mm. Assuming you have a MS Palladium and using 265 mm tires on 20 x 10.5 MW05s...
  • Front 20 x 10.5 with 265mm should look fine. The wheel is 1" wider than the stock 19s but the tire width (265 mm) is identical to that of the tires provided with the factory front 21" wheels.
  • Rears shouldn't be noticeably sunken in. The factory 19" rear wheels are the same width at 10.5".
Note that 265 mm rears will provide less contact area with the pavement than the factory 285/40 R19 tires. As @beetle noted there's greater chance you'll exceed the limits of traction 265s can give. May be less of an issue if you have an LR (since the launch feels a little nerfed) but may be noticeable if you have a Plaid.

With a 20 x 10.5 wheel your minimum tire width is 265 mm. Maximum tire width is 295mm. Assuming you have a MS Palladium and using 265 mm tires on 20 x 10.5 MW05s...
  • Front 20 x 10.5 with 265mm should look fine. The wheel is 1" wider than the stock 19s but the tire width (265 mm) is identical to that of the tires provided with the factory front 21" wheels.
  • Rears shouldn't be noticeably sunken in. The factory 19" rear wheels are the same width at 10.5".
Note that 265 mm rears will provide less contact area with the pavement than the factory 285/40 R19 tires. As @beetle noted there's greater chance you'll exceed the limits of traction 265s can give. May be less of an issue if you have an LR (since the launch feels a little nerfed) but may be noticeable if you have a Plaid.
Thank you for the info. I have a 2023 long range and was going to go 20 x 10.5 square setup with 295/35 all around. I assumed this would fit because it was the recommended setup on the Martian website.

Thank you for the info. I have a 2023 long range and was going to go 20 x 10.5 square setup with 295/35 all around. I assumed this would fit because it was the recommended setup on the Martian website.

You're welcome! (And also great choice going with the Martian MW05s. While I'm sticking with the stock 19s on my LR, the MW05 is my favorite aftermarket wheel.)

I think the website is correct in stating that 295s would work with a stock MS clearance wise. Just more of a question of aesthetics.

Went on the Martian Wheels website and found a picture of a MS Plaid with 20 x 11.5" wheels and 315 mm tires. Pretty sure they rolled the fenders on this car but the bottom of the front bumper (by the fog light) should be a good point of reference:

1689726415456.png

One more thing is efficiency. Less contact area in the rear with 265s should yield lower wh/mi assuming that the MW05s don't significantly increase the drag coefficient. Running 295s square should increase wh/mi consumption. Not sure what the magnitude of the increase will be though.

I don't know what your budget is, but you might want to look at a set of custom wheels from Signature or BC wheels. I would say reach out to Jamie @SignatureSales and talk to him before you buy. FYI - I have absolutely no financial relationship with him, just a satisfied customer and I just ordered my second set of Signature wheels.

The reason why I suggest speaking with Jamie he is one of the few vendors I've seen that can set you up with a set of squared wheels for the refreshed S where you can actually rotate the wheels front to rear, not just dismounting the tires that are the same size and swapping them around on the wheels. Honestly if I had to do that, I likely wouldn't bother with square wheels.

I just ordered a 20" square set to go with my track pack brakes. I would also put some thought into rim width. One of the most common square setups out there by forum members is 285/35/20's on 10" rims. I personally don't like how much Tesla tends to stretch the tire on rims and I'd rather not be using the maximum width rim for a given tire. I like just a bit of extra sidewall to reduce the risk of curbing the wheel and a bit better ride comfort.

If you have an MS LR, you could probably get by with less tire than my Plaid. As Anson mentioned the launch is so soft on this car traction off the line is unlikely to be an issue. I can tell that my LR never spun the tires on dry pavement, no matter what I did. So 285/295s are probably costing you efficiency for no real benefit other than looks.

I plan to run 295/35/20 for my Plaid in a square setup. At least that is my plan. :p It may change by the time my wheels show up and I may be at 285/35/20.

A huge benefit to a square setup is tire warranty. Almost all manufacturers have your tire warranty if you are running a staggered setup. So based on how my Plaid eats tires, if I can invoke the treadwear warranty a few times, it might just pay for my wheels... :cool: I am on my second set of rears in 5k miles. That was mostly due to camber but I don't expect a set to last more than 10k looking at my fronts.

I don't know what your budget is, but you might want to look at a set of custom wheels from Signature or BC wheels. I would say reach out to Jamie @SignatureSales and talk to him before you buy. FYI - I have absolutely no financial relationship with him, just a satisfied customer and I just ordered my second set of Signature wheels.

The reason why I suggest speaking with Jamie he is one of the few vendors I've seen that can set you up with a set of squared wheels for the refreshed S where you can actually rotate the wheels front to rear, not just dismounting the tires that are the same size and swapping them around on the wheels. Honestly if I had to do that, I likely wouldn't bother with square wheels.

I just ordered a 20" square set to go with my track pack brakes. I would also put some thought into rim width. One of the most common square setups out there by forum members is 285/35/20's on 10" rims. I personally don't like how much Tesla tends to stretch the tire on rims and I'd rather not be using the maximum width rim for a given tire. I like just a bit of extra sidewall to reduce the risk of curbing the wheel and a bit better ride comfort.

If you have an MS LR, you could probably get by with less tire than my Plaid. As Anson mentioned the launch is so soft on this car traction off the line is unlikely to be an issue. I can tell that my LR never spun the tires on dry pavement, no matter what I did. So 285/295s are probably costing you efficiency for no real benefit other than looks.

I plan to run 295/35/20 for my Plaid in a square setup. At least that is my plan. :p It may change by the time my wheels show up and I may be at 285/35/20.

A huge benefit to a square setup is tire warranty. Almost all manufacturers have your tire warranty if you are running a staggered setup. So based on how my Plaid eats tires, if I can invoke the treadwear warranty a few times, it might just pay for my wheels... :cool: I am on my second set of rears in 5k miles. That was mostly due to camber but I don't expect a set to last more than 10k looking at my fronts.
I plan to go signature wheels route for my 2023 s plaid in the spring. I'm looking at sv104s and wanted to keep 19" wheel for better range and 1/4 mi times. I am interested in a square setup vs staggered for rotation and thus tire longevity reasons. However, do not want to sacrifice 1/4 mile times/traction by doing so. Any insight on what you have experienced would be greatly appreciated. Take care!

I've been totally happy with 20" squared. I think you'll be fine going 19" squared. While I like the SV104s, that wheel is pretty played out for me. I see them everywhere. YMMY of course.

The rotation aspect and tire warranty are 2 of the biggest pluses for me. The 20's have been a great balance between looks and performance. The 19's seem like they have the sidewall of a tractor tire when I look at them now. ;)

I’m going to a squared set with the stock 19s. I ordered 2 new rear wheels. My idea is to put the rear wheel size on all four corners. Can this be done? Tire rack told me that the biggest tire I can fit is a 275/40/19. What your thoughts on this. I’m on a wife imposed budget! 🙈

I have square 19 winters and staggered 21 summers (arachnid).

Would love to switch to square summers and put a spacer on the new, thinner rears.

Would also love to have a set of square 20s with a spacer for the rear.

I’m pretty sure Yokohama would lose money on my summers if I rotated them and let Discount apply for the tread wear warranty when they got to 4/32.

I prefer wider (stretched) tires, partially for aesthetics but mostly for rim protection.

I have square 19 winters and staggered 21 summers (arachnid).

Would love to switch to square summers and put a spacer on the new, thinner rears.

Would also love to have a set of square 20s with a spacer for the rear.

I’m pretty sure Yokohama would lose money on my summers if I rotated them and let Discount apply for the tread wear warranty when they got to 4/32.

I prefer wider (stretched) tires, partially for aesthetics but mostly for rim protection.
How do you mean by Yokohama would lose money? Is the tread wear not god?