Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone notice the shift in the stack fairly early on? The entire stack rocked by about a foot or two, accompanied by a loud metallic boom. It's apparently something to do with locking the stack in place, but that must be pretty disconcerting to watch happen in person. I'm a little surprised that such an energetic motion is acceptable. Rocking the entire stack must involve a lot of energy. That can't be good for any of the hardware involved.

I did not. Can you estimate about how long after the ship touched the booster that occurred? I’d like to see it.
Here's a link to the point in the NasaSpaceFlight video. 2:20:00 CDT. After watching it a few times, it looks like the Starship wasn't properly seated, and it all wobbled when they shifted it a bit to correct it. Or they were just waiting a long time to lower the Starship the final few inches. Unfortunately the LabPadre camera doesn't really show much because of the angle.

Here's a link to the point in the NasaSpaceFlight video. 2:20:00 CDT. After watching it a few times, it looks like the Starship wasn't properly seated, and it all wobbled when they shifted it a bit to correct it. Or they were just waiting a long time to lower the Starship the final few inches. Unfortunately the LabPadre camera doesn't really show much because of the angle.
After watching it a few times, I'd say it dropped a bit. I'd go with a final lowering as the reason.

I was mightily worried, in the early days, during a launch - will this thing topple even before it clears the pad ?

And now that worry has increased an order of magnitude with Starship. That things is so tall, so heavy and the engines are all pushing from the very bottom.. Try lifting a tall heavy iron rod from the bottom surface. I watched the first FH launch live in person in FL along with 1000 other people and with Billy Nye the chief guest. When everyone was clapping and hollering, I was clutching the iron rails and praying..

Reactions: Grendal
That things is so tall, so heavy and the engines are all pushing from the very bottom.
Sounds like your typical rocket to me, just scaled up. ;)

I never had that concern with IFT-1 and still don’t. Actual rocket scientist have figured it out. It’s not going to just fall over as it clears the tower. Remember, if for some reason too many engines fail to ignite or to reach full power the control software will shut everything down and not release the OLM clamps. In addition, 13 of the engines can TVC as needed.

I have very high confidence that IFT-2 will reach the point where stage sep is initiated. After that point, we shall see…

Reactions: Electroman
I was mightily worried, in the early days, during a launch - will this thing topple even before it clears the pad ?

And now that worry has increased an order of magnitude with Starship. That things is so tall, so heavy and the engines are all pushing from the very bottom.. Try lifting a tall heavy iron rod from the bottom surface. I watched the first FH launch live in person in FL along with 1000 other people and with Billy Nye the chief guest. When everyone was clapping and hollering, I was clutching the iron rails and praying..

The tallness and weight don't matter as long as a >1g center of thrust is radially aligned, behind the center of mass. And if the center of lift is also behind the center of mass, then the rocket will be dynamically stable.

It's certainly bigger and heavier, but in the world of making-rockets-go-straight it turns out taller is better. Little shorty things tumble easier while having mass up high in the nose is unintuitive but helpful.

Reactions: Ben W and Grendal
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Given that they haven't had a static fire with 100% success rate, this readiness statement surprises me
Raptor performance during the last static fire was all engines ignited, two shut down early. That is enough to get the vehicle to stage sep assuming only one or two (or even more?) additional Raptors shut down before that point.

So in that sense the static fire was a success though as you note it was not perfect. But perfection is not always necessary for IFT-2 to proceed.

Reactions: JB47394
Launch Date: Mid to Late September
Launch Window: TBD
Launch site: LC-1? - Starbase, Boca Chica Beach, Texas
Core Booster Recovery: Expended in Gulf
Starship Recovery: Water landing near Hawaii
Booster: Super Heavy Booster 9
Starship: Starship 25
Mass: No mass simulator mentioned
Orbit: LEO-ish
Yearly Launch Number: TBD

A SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship launch vehicle will launch on its first orbital test flight. The mission will attempt to travel around the world for nearly one full orbit, resulting in a re-entry and splashdown of the Starship near Hawaii. The Super Heavy booster will likely be expended in the the Gulf of Mexico.

View attachment 958046
Fascinating