Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update from 2019.15.103 to .104?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2019.15.x series is/was pretty limited in its reach. I don't know if it's for beta testing, cars with the HW3 Autopilot computer, or what, but it's for cars that are "special" in some way. If nobody else has more definitive information here, you might want to call Tesla to ask about it. Note, however, that Tesla software version numbers can be confusing. In particular, a lower number is not necessarily less feature-rich. In fact, some lower-numbered builds include features that aren't present in higher-numbered builds. Thus, the fact that you've got a lower-numbered build than what many other people have isn't necessarily an indication that what you've got is inferior. I don't happen to know what precisely is in the 2019.15.x series vs. the 2019.20.x that most other Model 3 owners have, though.

One more very minor point: Tesla has recently begun rolling out 2019.24.1. Among the cars tracked by TeslaFi, this release seems to be restricted to Model S and/or Model X; it's showing no Model 3 cars with 2019.24.1 so far. This could change fast, though. I've owned my Model 3 for barely over three months, so my experience is still limited; but based on that limited experience, I'd expect to see something in the 2019.24.x series start rolling out in a big way across all Tesla models (S, X, and 3; I don't know if the Roadster even gets software updates) within a week or so.

Reactions: LunkHead
Looking at TeslaFi appears a lot on .103 are updating to that. I am still on 103 for now though.. Anything in 104 release notes of worth?

Thanks for replying. It’s weird, the release notes that popped up in the car looked like stuff we already had in the 103 release. Would be interesting to track which cars get which releases so we would know if we were current or not. For example, which cars get the .20.x release? Apparently for the M3 DM LR, the current release is .15.104. Unless these updates are serial where we have to incrementally update to each version in between to move forward but I’d be surprised if that was the case. Maybe the .20 is for the S or X only or something. <shrug>

The 2019.15.x series is/was pretty limited in its reach. I don't know if it's for beta testing, cars with the HW3 Autopilot computer, or what, but it's for cars that are "special" in some way..

Agree they are special in some way.. Maybe it's testing or maybe it's an oddball component they are having issue getting firmware resolved for. Hard to know really.. I am still on 103 but assume based on @Allistah post and looking at TeslaFi I'll be updated to 104 pretty soon.

Thanks for replying. It’s weird, the release notes that popped up in the car looked like stuff we already had in the 103 release. Would be interesting to track which cars get which releases so we would know if we were current or not. For example, which cars get the .20.x release? Apparently for the M3 DM LR, the current release is .15.104. Unless these updates are serial where we have to incrementally update to each version in between to move forward but I’d be surprised if that was the case. Maybe the .20 is for the S or X only or something. <shrug>

Most model 3 owners appear to be on some version of 20...

You can check TeslaFi for a break down...

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Yeah interesting - which is why I asked about the version numbers - something didn’t seem very straight forward. It seems there is a reason why we are on the version we are on. Who knows.. I’ll just roll with it. I’ll take some screenshots of the release notes tonight and post them for those that are interested. At least I can look at Teslafi and see what car model has what software.

I’m having a hard time with knowing if spending the $50/year for Teslafi is worth it or not? I bought the iOS stats app but it doesn’t seem to have very many statistics.

I’m having a hard time with knowing if spending the $50/year for Teslafi is worth it or not? I bought the iOS stats app but it doesn’t seem to have very many statistics.

I gave the free trial a go and while it does offer a lot of very cool stats and info it was draining my battery so I canceled it... It's cool but not worth the extra battery hit in my opinion...

I gave the free trial a go and while it does offer a lot of very cool stats and info it was draining my battery so I canceled it... It's cool but not worth the extra battery hit in my opinion...

FWIW, the TeslaFi free trial can be extended from 2 weeks to 4 weeks via a referral code. I found one on this YouTube video (check the description; I think it's also in the video).

Oh wow, it drains the cars battery?! How often does it poll the car? That sucks.. you’d think that it wouldn’t poll very often to get data.

If it's properly configured, TeslaFi should not cause excessive vampire drain; it should let the car sleep after a period spent parked (30 minutes by default). Unfortunately, there are some differences for different cars and software versions, so some tweaking may be necessary. See this TeslaFi page for the settings. There's some more information here. Note that TeslaFi doesn't poll the car directly; it polls Tesla's servers, which in turn poll the car. TeslaFi will poll Tesla's servers even when the car is sleeping, but in a way that should not cause the car to wake up.

That said, some people do report excessive vampire drain with TeslaFi active. It's unclear whether there's something quirky about their cars that's causing the correct settings to not work, if they've set something wrong in TeslaFi, or if TeslaFi is interacting with some other tool or even owner actions (like use of the Tesla app).

Interesting.. I already signed up for the trial so I guess I only get two weeks.

Any recommended settings to start with to minimize the drain? Right after I signed up and learned about the drain, I was tempted to terminate the account and shut it all off. I guess I’ll give it a shot and see how it goes with some initial sleep settings if anyone has any suggestions.