Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slideboard Loading, Need Tips for Handicap Passenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!

My girlfriend’s mom and dad are visiting us in a couple of days. Her dad recently became handicapped (hopefully not much longer, but will be for this trip). He uses a slide board from a wheelchair. Has anyone had a similar situation? If so, we’d love some tips! I believe it will be easiest to have him slide board into the front passenger seat, but if you believe otherwise, let me know! Also would love any tips to prevent damage to the bolster of the seats.

I have a similar issue with one of my family members. The car seats are too high for a slide board and the lack of grab handles makes the problem even worse.
I resort to using all my strength to lift this person from the wheelchair onto the seat and back.
If anyone can find a reasonable solution to the problem, I would definitely love to hear about it.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
I have a similar issue with one of my family members. The car seats are too high for a slide board and the lack of grab handles makes the problem even worse.
I resort to using all my strength to lift this person from the wheelchair onto the seat and back.
If anyone can find a reasonable solution to the problem, I would definitely love to hear about it.

Oh no! My girlfriend is an occupational therapist, so if we find a better META to get them in, I'll reply here.

Reactions: charlesoris
My wife has MS and is unable to get in the car on her own. In my case I'm a pretty big guy in good shape so I get her wheelchair as close as I can to the front passenger seat, angled in, then lock the brakes. I then bend over her, keeping my back as straight as possible, and have her put both arms around my neck and hold on tight. I hold around her back as well. I then lift and rotate her to the seat placing her butt just on the edge with her feet on the ground then rotate her legs into the footwell. Just reverse the process to exit. This works well for us but may not for others depending on the people involved and their sizes and abilities.

Reactions: charlesoris
My wife has MS and is unable to get in the car on her own. In my case I'm a pretty big guy in good shape so I get her wheelchair as close as I can to the front passenger seat, angled in, then lock the brakes. I then bend over her, keeping my back as straight as possible, and have her put both arms around my neck and hold on tight. I hold around her back as well. I then lift and rotate her to the seat placing her butt just on the edge with her feet on the ground then rotate her legs into the footwell. Just reverse the process to exit. This works well for us but may not for others depending on the people involved and their sizes and abilities.
That is the exact technique I am using to get her in and out. I am a big guy also, but when I hit retirement age, it became a hassle.

Reactions: Dennisis